• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are we "a small island that no one listens to" ?

Are we "a small island that no one listens to"?

• Yes we are.

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No we aren't.

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No opinion.Neutral.

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Let's not confuse our National pride and our capabilities with how the rest of the world now sees us. Our political leaders have spent too many years since the last war running along behind America like the geeky kid in the playground, begging to join in all its big-boy games and now that is how I think the world perceives us.

Are we "a small island to which no-one listens " as that Russian diplomat said at the G20?

I've long thought so.

Presumably the US won't be doing so now (at least in the short term)and Europe hasn't for some time.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2013/sep/06/david-cameron-g20-small-island-video

Thankfully Barna we don't class you as British, to us you are a spaniard!!!

As for the Russians, they can **** off

This little island is still a major player and makes me proud

Are we "a small island to which no-one listens " as that Russian diplomat said at the G20?

I've long thought so.

Presumably the US won't be doing so now (at least in the short term)and Europe hasn't for some time.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2013/sep/06/david-cameron-g20-small-island-video

Your deep hatred of the country of your birth is well documented on this site and, to be frank, it is wearing somewhat thin. So what if Obama doesn't want to talk with Cameron, he has made no secret of his distain for the United Kingdom from the day he took office. Sending back the bust of Churchill, direct digs about colonisim, all this coming from someone who thinks his ancestrial roots stem from the four corners of the earth. He can't make his mind up as to whether he is African American, Muslim American, Irish American or any other American what suits his agenda of the moment. In another couple of years Obama will be history, tomorrows fish N chip paper and his legacy will be absolutely nothing. Just another typical failed US President who has to pick a fight with a weaker opponent to be remembered.

If he wants to bed down with France then crack on as far as I'm concerned. I'll give it less than a month before Holland ***** himself and backs out of a conflict which will cost French lifes, afterall, France has the worst record of staying the course when the going gets tough. The phrase 'Surrender Monkeys' wasn't started by the British press. Obama is going to learn the lesson that everyone else already knows. That France does nothing for anyone unless it benefits France.

And as for what Europe thinks of us, well the vast majority of European countries, including us it would seem, don't what to part take in military action in Syria. Indeed, Miss Merkel appears to be cooling off with France and at least forcing a smile towards the UK. What does that say about the German/Franco alliance? I wonder why she isn't turning on the charm with Italy, Spain, Belguim or Holland. I hear little talk from other EU countries (And they can still speak for themselves, just) in favour of military action and air strikes. Indeed the US is suggesting an sustained attack lasting 60 days which is hardly a short sharp shock. I wonder if Obama really wants to punish Assad for using chemical warfare against his own people or is he just trying to spread the cost. President Obama, he led the US of A for 8 years and left them bankrupted through military aggression. Some legacy. Maybe he should send John Kerry back over for another $500 dinner and talk it through.

Was this Russian Diplomat speaking as an independant voice (unlikely in that ex, *snork* communist heaven you so wanted to be apart of until you realised that if you wanted wealth, freedom and happiness then perhaps it wasn't such a good idea) or was it a press release from a state controlled news agency? Putin pretty much couldn't give a flying about anyone or anything and disagreeing with anything the West thinks is standard Russian/China policy so I don't think our PM will be losing much sleep over that.

The Russian 'quote' was denied by them as ever being said so Cameron would have been better ignoring it. Not great diplomatic skills to go large on proving something wrong that was officially never said.

The Russian 'quote' was denied by them as ever being said so Cameron would have been better ignoring it. Not great diplomatic skills to go large on proving something wrong that was officially never said.

It wasn't Cameron who brought it up in the first place on this site. It was our own resident traitor to his own country, I give you Barna Blue ( or what ever he wants to call himself now) As for his diplomatic skills, I would have thought it was more bad advice rather than diplomacy on his part.

Do you hate Britain and her people? I get that impression.

Actually,I'm proud to be English (though my passport tells me I am in fact British).

Unlike some Brits and Yanks I know, I've never once thought seriously of taking out Spanish nationality, (though I've lived here long enough under residency rules to qualify) or even French nationality,which I'd be entitled to apply for, on the grounds that my wife is French.

It wasn't Cameron who brought it up in the first place on this site. It was our own resident traitor to his own country, I give you Barna Blue ( or what ever he wants to call himself now) As for his diplomatic skills, I would have thought it was more bad advice rather than diplomacy on his part.
Cameron is rarely on Shrimperzone these days, probs forgotten his login details.

I have answered YES in the poll; not because I am unpatriotic or un British BUT because I do believe that is the way the governments of foreign countries now see the UK.
The USA and France have huge guilt and chips on their shoulders about history and rarely miss an opportunity to do us down.
The Hispanic countries all gang up to support each other (e.g. Falklands/Gibraltar).
The Latin countries don't give a toss about us.
We have ****ed off the Commonwealth who have lost faith in our politicians of most of the last 60 yrs.
Japan sees us as a good trading partner and is an isolationist/non intervention player.
The EU major players despise us for not wanting full integration with only the small new countries liking us as we are "easy" for their migration unskilled work and NHS/DHSS benefits.

Finally; it is NOT us, the people they loath but the ball less politicians who have followed on from Maggie: like her or loath her she WAS listened to and had big Balls.

would do well to remember that :-

"If you need to boast of your greatness, it probably means you are not very great".

I'm going to save that quote for the next time you take an opportunity to tell us who you've taught/where you've been/what you've read, or just generally try to make a conversation all about you

I doubt it'll be long

Back