• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are we close to the edge once more?

Are we close to the edge?

• Total voters
I imagine the plight of Bolton and Bury will mean that they are far more likely to look at them, which perversely could work against us....

Clearly we are not in a good place- but worse ever - I don’t think so
In 2010 we were regulars in the court for non payment of VAT, at this point we were given a 35 day extension and then a 7 day extension as we could not pay, also the players were not being paid on a regular basis and were being paid by the FA - and so they walked at the end of the season having down tooled much earlier ( one win in 2010 until end of season). That team was far far to good to go down but did .

We literally had no choice but to watch players worth hundreds of thousands if not millions go for nothing with Gower and Francis eventually ending up in the prem! Our manager, our hero was sacked and we had three (four?) players on our books- on the first day of the new managers arrival 2/3 players left immediately leaving us with Anthony Grant, a youth team and an embargo. With Fossetts looking like a distant dream.
Many thought we would get relegated again

We didn’t know it then but things were about to get much better.
Sturrock can in and assembled a team in days, players that were to go on to become Southend hero’s/legends Barry Corr , Graham Coughlan and the late Chris Barker . We were going to be introduced to the madness of Bilel who we will all remember, be it for good or bad reasons.We were going to have our first outing at Wembley and take 35000 with us.
Over the next few years play off misery and of course finally with “ one half of Wembley erupts”

there were lots of great thing just around the corner, we just didn’t know it then, hopefully the next chapter will be equally as exciting.

Last edited:
Clearly we are not in a good place- but worse ever - I don’t think so
In 2010 we were regulars in the court for non payment of VAT, at this be point we were given a 35 day extension and then a 7 day extension as we could not pay, the he players were not being paid on a regular basis and were being paid by the FA - and so they walked at the end of the season having down tooled much earlier ( one win in 2010 until end of season). That team was far far to good to go down but did .

We literally had no choice but to watch players worth hundreds of thousands if not millions go for nothing with Gower and Francis eventually ending up in the prem! Our manager, our hero was sacked and we had three (four?) players on our books- on the first day of the new managers arrival 2/3 players left leaving us with Anthony Grant, a youth team and an embargo. With Fossetts looking like a distant dream.
Many thought we would get relegated again

We didn’t know it then but things were about to get much better.
Sturrock can in and assembled a team in days, players that were to go on to become Southend hero’s/legends Barry Corr and the late Graham’s Coughlan. We were going to be introduced to the madness of Bilel who we will al remember, be it for good or bad reasons.We were going to have our first outing at Wembley and take 35000 with us.
Over the next few years play off misery and of course finally with “ one half of Wembley erupts”

there were lots of great thing just around the corner, we just didn’t know it then, hopefully the next chapter will be equally as exciting.
This sums it up well ( apart from coughlan not being dead)

We literally had no choice but to watch players worth hundreds of thousands if not millions go for nothing with Gower and Francis eventually ending up in the prem! Our manager, our hero was sacked and we had three (four?) players on our books- on the first day of the new managers arrival 2/3 players left leaving us with Anthony Grant, a youth team and an embargo. With Fossetts looking like a distant dream.
Many thought we would get relegated again.

I still remember those days. I went to the first few days of training, mainly to see what players had just signed or were about to sign. I met and spoke to Onion_Bags_Dave's dad for the first time, as he did the same, as Paul Sturrock was keeping a lot to himself about who is, or might be coming in. Paul Sturrock was on the mobile non stop, away from the players. So he spent the first two training sessions on the phone. The proper training didn't start until about day three, but each day more and more new faces turned up and sort of joined in the kick about, and a few runs around the pitch, etc. Paul Sturrock pulled off a miracle, and very quickly. He assembled a squad with some fantastic signings, and of course a few duds, as you would expect. To be honest, Ryan Leonard didn't impress me at first, but he moved in with Graham Coughlan and Chris Barker, and although only 19, he slowly started to look a class player. Paul Sturrock was laid back in training. For example he wouldn't stop the game too much between the players, and he wouldn't shout much from the sidelines, and would get them in a group at half time and full time and point things right and wrong out to them. Whereas Phil Brown for example would play in the games as centre back, and would stop the game every two minutes pointing things out. Many expected a relegation battle that season as the club had no money and the players Paul quickly picked up, were in the main, misfits and failures at other clubs. So my two hero's out of that time are Paul Sturrock and Anthony Grant.

Last edited:
With only one home game in January and payday looming again it seems quite possible there might be another cash flow crisis. The Hopper money won't be in the bank yet presumably so I fear we can expect more financial jiggery pokery to keep all the plates spinning for a little while longer.

Tranmere result tonight the last nail in our relegation coffin, they'll be able to get in a couple of quality loanees now.

To be honest, Ryan Leonard didn't impress me at first, but he moved in with Graham Coughlan and Chris Barker, and although only 19, he slowly started to look a class player.

Honestly? Three stonking good goals in his first three games - Wakering, Dartford and I can never remember the other. Three thunderbolts all from RB.

We started that season with Granty, Johnny Herd and Adam Woodyard on our books, with Woody being just out of the youth team.

Tranmere result tonight the last nail in our relegation coffin, they'll be able to get in a couple of quality loanees now.
Maybe not... it'll be a distraction.

Anyway, how **** must they be? They will be the only side that won't have beaten us this season and what's more, they didn't score against us in open play.

When you consider our season so far, that is a pretty rubbish stat from their point of view.

Honestly? Three stonking good goals in his first three games - Wakering, Dartford and I can never remember the other. Three thunderbolts all from RB.

We started that season with Granty, Johnny Herd and Adam Woodyard on our books, with Woody being just out of the youth team.

Yeah, remember that. Sturrock clearly didn't fancy Johnny Herd at all, as the first player he brought in was Chris Barker. Out of 3 outfield players, we had 2 left backs!

I am not talking about the goals, I am talking about his performance. He kept giving the ball away, and then getting caught out of position. He kept trying long diagonal passes to the wingers, and they all went out of play. Then he got better and better.

Maybe not the worst ever....but desperate times and clearly Ron is trying to balance the books (reduce our losses!!) for our inevitable relegation to League 2

£150k for Hopper

Kiernan, Ridgewell and Cox (possibly 3 highest earners) contracts all cancelled through compromise.

Humphrey’s most likely off before the window is out if he can find a buyer.....asset sale...

Loanees returned, nobody signed up.

God only knows what season ticket sales for next season will be like, given this awful state of affairs.

Desperate times indeed...that said I will still be hare next season....

Personally I think we’ll be ok as long as RM doesn’t get fed up & walk away. Whatever people think of the man he keeps us afloat & all the clubs debts are to him. If he walked away I could see a Bury situation because who on earth would come in and clear the debts (around £17m from memory owed to Ron’s companies?) when there’s not even any positive news about planning permission for the stadium on the horizon. Like it or not we need Ron at least until FF is up and running, and IMO anyone who wishes he’d just go should be careful what they’re wishing for.

Back