• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are we starting to see an end to political correctness

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
With one or two things happening in this country over recent times I'm convinced we're starting to see the end of wooly liberalism and can start to get this country back on track without fear of some namby-pamby do-gooder interfering.

Am I just hoping or does anyone else sense the change ?

I think he's referring to Camerons comments about the fat drug addicts. I indeed hope so, but its got so so so far to go. Political correctness has now been put into so many laws.

I wondered what he's referring to as well, "one or two things"? Cameron's got no power yet to do anything and until those in Government wake up and smell the roses, nothing will happen. They have to stop these idiots who know nothing from sitting in their snug offices just churning out loads of legislation and directives for everyone that are completely unrealistic and unworkable and let everyone get back to going about their lawful business without fear of reprisal under anything remotely politically correct.

Last edited:
I wondered what he's referring to as well, "one or two things"? Cameron's got no power yet to do anything

No but he said what he said and so far it appears not too many have criticised him for it.

With one or two things happening in this country over recent times I'm convinced we're starting to see the end of wooly liberalism and can start to get this country back on track without fear of some namby-pamby do-gooder interfering.
Lets hope it will apply to this board.

No but he said what he said and so far it appears not too many have criticised him for it.

Lets hope it will apply to this board.

What this board that now has the most active membership ever (and it is the close season) and no longer has the troubles of a few months back .....

Hmmmmm.

nobody saw the article in bristol then about a local beauty spot near the brunel bridge where they want to cut down a load of bushes and trees that have become overgrown that have also become a meeting place for gay men to f**k each other, but the council has consulted the gay community because they dont want upset them doing what is an illegal act in public.
The pc world is still a mad one!!!!!! and thats not the computer shop

nobody saw the article in bristol then about a local beauty spot near the brunel bridge where they want to cut down a load of bushes and trees that have become overgrown that have also become a meeting place for gay men to f**k each other, but the council has consulted the gay community because they dont want upset them doing what is an illegal act in public.
The pc world is still a mad one!!!!!! and thats not the computer shop

I was under the impression (I might be wrong) that this is an illegal act between any two people when performed in a public space and if so, then I don't see why the gay community should be permitted an exemption so they may continue to "break the law".

overgrown that have also become a meeting place for gay men
So with the new PC less restrictions we can call thses blokes poofs then.

I was under the impression (I might be wrong) that this is an illegal act between any two people when performed in a public space and if so, then I don't see why the gay community should be permitted an exemption so they may continue to "break the law".

Well I'm buggered if I know.;)

Sorry for not posting more details. it wasn't just Cameron's speech. I've seen a number of things recently where, rather than dancing around issues, official spokesmen have been direct and forthright.

i'm sick and tired of the bs that is all around us in today's society and really not helped by the Sun's main headline yesterday with people banged up for bonking on a beach in Dubai. Was that really the top news they could come up with.

Sadly the millions that buy such crap are also the millions that tune into BB and such like while their darling kids are causing chaos on the streets.

times are a changing though, I can feel it in my old bones.

I feckin hate the term "Political Correctness" . Its a Daily Mail inspired phrase used to belittle attempts to prevent bigots promoting their filth to all and sundry, which has now been used as a blanket phrase to gover anything done by anyone in authority which someone doesn't agree with.

The council consulting the Gay community in Bristol however, does strike me as stupidity, the question to me is why are they cutting them down ?. If its because they have become overgrown and are impacting , in their "overgrownness" on the local community (ie being an eyesore, blocking footpaths etc) then its the councils duty as a council to trim them back. If its because they are being used to conceal illegal acts, then its the police's job to police the area and prevent the illegal acts.
However, could it be that the local area around the bushes has a number of gay residents and that the council have consulted the local residents , which included a number of gay people , and the press have reported it as consulting the gay community as otherwise it is a non story and they needed something to write ?

I feckin hate the term "Political Correctness" . Its a Daily Mail inspired phrase used to belittle attempts to prevent bigots promoting their filth to all and sundry, which has now been used as a blanket phrase to gover anything done by anyone in authority which someone doesn't agree with.

The council consulting the Gay community in Bristol however, does strike me as stupidity, the question to me is why are they cutting them down ?. If its because they have become overgrown and are impacting , in their "overgrownness" on the local community (ie being an eyesore, blocking footpaths etc) then its the councils duty as a council to trim them back. If its because they are being used to conceal illegal acts, then its the police's job to police the area and prevent the illegal acts.
However, could it be that the local area around the bushes has a number of gay residents and that the council have consulted the local residents , which included a number of gay people , and the press have reported it as consulting the gay community as otherwise it is a non story and they needed something to write ?

Anyone know whereabouts exactly in Bristol these bushes are? I might go and look for badgers there.

Whilst I disagree with your definition of how the term has now been used (Id say its use is for a very particular type of behaviour, and not to cover anything done by those in authority that is disagreed with by others) surely the Mail have served it's purpose in propagating the word and bringing it into every day use. Just as at times being a 'Tory' or a 'Leftie' are viewed as derogatory.

As it now has become a derogatory term, then I see no problem with it being applied to some of the brain-dead schemes that some who think they know best come up with. Whilst some reporting may be sensationalist, surely all would agree there are some stupid policy makers who's attempts at being 'PC' hve just gone too far, and therefore I think its a good thing there is a backlash to it. If this is on the back of the term 'Policitical correctness' being an insult then so be it. Those with genuine and well thought aims can adopt a different term for their aims.

See now Harry, I used that word on the Live thread last night and was really surprised it got past the swear filter!

A fairly soft swear word that one. Out of the swear filter it stays.

****? That's still in there. So is ****. And ****. Arse is ok now though.

There have been some good things about political correctness, broadly conceived (e.g. anti-discrimination laws etc) but the problem is that it tends to produce conformist thinking on both sides- for those rigidly defending PC and for those who simply repeat at every opportunity 'this is PC gone mad blah blah blah' whilst listing dubious or unrepresentative examples of rights being granted to minority groups.

As for Cameron he is now playing the anti-PC 'are you thinking what we're thinking?' card that was so unsuccessful at the last general election. Whilst people may be understandably sympathetic to his anti-PC stance, this does not mean his (non)explanations of social ills are any more correct. Fat people eat too much, the poor are poor because they are lazy, drug addicts abuse drugs, alcoholics abuse alcohol- the world is so much simpler if you reduce all social problems to individual choices and simply take the effect for the cause. It might be comforting to think like that but the world is a great deal more complex.

Whilst political correctness may have had its day, I'd like to think the stultifying anti-PC backlash will also run its course in the near future.

Arse is ok now though.

Oh good, that'll please any Pink Shrimpers exiled in Bristol then ;)

For what it's worth in terms of the subject at hand, PC has got out of control as has Health & Safety, although I was listening to an interesting debate on TalkSport the other day driving home about a lot of pubs getting rid of their dart boards for H&S purposes. This H&S consultant called in to say it's not Health & Safety legislation per se that is stopping people from doing stuff, it's people who are changing something to further their own interests and then blaming H&S when they realise the decision is unpopular/ridiculous. I'd say in certain circumstances this applies to political correctness too.

Also got to agree with the point about how the media slant things for their own interests to sell papers but taking a sensationalist angle to beef up some stories when there's little/nothing to report.

Back