• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are we that surprised really?

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
My first post for a while, have been lurking and reading with interest.

Is this the worst state the club has ever been in? Well, I remember the dark days of the 1980's when we were hours from extinction. It was different. I can't remember if it was worse, but it was different.

The only potential saving grace now is the stadium, which we didn't have back then.

But then, if we are honest, that has always been the case. Relegation was a massive blow last season but we KNEW that we would be losing 5 or 6 players. Becase of the off field problems I think they would have gone even if we had stayed up. We KNEW we wouldn't be able to sign anyone of substance. None of this should be any surprise at all.

I'm not saying it's a good position to be in, but there will be some pain to go through before we come out of the other side.

Next season we may well have a team of kids. However, at least we do have light at the end of the tunnel, and we have to hope that it isn't a train.

Tilly is still in charge. He knows far more than us and if he seriously thought we wouldn't be able to field a team, do you think he'd stay? He may get fed up and leave but he hasn't done so yet.

The wage cap will be a great leveller for us as it means we cannot over extend ourselves.

It does mean we won't see the best football in the world but I can live with that for a while if it means we can grow.

Sainsburys are now the major players and they won't want to be associated with putting a club out of business just so they can build a new superstore. That's a plus.

This latest sexual assault thing may prove to be nothing, who knows? When I first read it I thought "set up" but maybe, maybe not. Either way it's nothing to do with the club itself, but it's yet another negative to damage the reputation with. If we were halfway up the Championship and had just beaten Man Utd again, would that event (if true) attracted the same interest? Probably, but it would have been presented in a different way, almost certainly.

Many will have seen me as a major member of the rose tinted brigade. I prefer to see myself as more of a realist; we have 99% conjecture, based on gossip and assumptions with very few facts. No-one should judge anything based on that. I think we can forget the consortium as there is no money left in any deal now. It's damage limitation for Ron as well I think. We are in Sainsbury's hands... but that maybe isn't a bad thing actually. As long as we have the stadium, there's hope.

So, I'm not surprised we have few players, I'm not surprised we're in the mess we're in... but it could actually still get worse so let's just wait and see what July brings.

My first post for a while, have been lurking and reading with interest

I'm glad you're back FBM, as i've been wondering on your take of everything for a while now.

I think you're correct in this post. I'm not surprised. I've been saying it'll go tits up for a while now, as you'll be well aware.

Sainsburys are now the major players and they won't want to be associated with putting a club out of business just so they can build a new superstore. That's a plus.
Why? What do they care if we're out of business? Surely, all they're interested in is getting that plot of land asap. They have no loyalty to SUFC.

I can't see us still being in business this time next year

Last edited:
The trouble is we are very much caught between a rock and a hard place. I used to be a loyal supporter of Ron Martin but after all that's happened I don't trust the man one bit. OK I can accept that in my opinion he still cares about the club but I've lost all faith in the way he's run Southend United and that's by far the more dominant point. The problem is I don't think we have many realistic choices other than to hope he can turn it around, let's face it he's not going to sell the club or he'd have surely accepted that alleged 8-figure consortium offer wouldn't he? And even if he did sell he'd still have somewhat of a stranglehold over the club with regards back rent etc. Short of some rich oil baron coming in with more money than sense and who had a penchant for writing blank cheques then I really don't see what options we have but to hope and pray we get out of this mess. I wish there was another option but I can't see one.

P.S. By the way Ron if you're reading this a bit of communication (which you say you've always prided yourself on!) on the finance and playing side wouldn't go amiss in the current circumstances, I don't give a toss about what you did or didn't get up to with your maid I am only interested in whether we're likely to have a club to support come August.

:'(

As I said the other day, we are indeed in desperate need of a blog. And one that has nothing to do with bad knees or Eastern European cleaners.

I'm still of the opinion that something will give, but in our favour. I still can't believe Sainsbury's would've done what they've done in the last 12 months just for the club to disappear into oblivion.

Supermarket Slogan's...

Sainsbury - "Try something new today"

Tesco - "Every Little Helps"

Asda - always changing but "That's Asda Price" .... "Good Food costs less"

Aldi - "Spend a little, live a lot"

Waitrose - "Quality food, honestly priced"

Morrison - "Fresh choice for you"

Iceland - "Because Mum's are heroes"

FarmFoods - "Delicious meals to your door"

Lidl - "Lidl is cheap"

Somerfield - "Giving you what you want"

Who would you rather?

Welcome back FBM mate,nice to see you and a reasoned post....but I feel we are just about 2 mins away from hitting the iceberg. Sainsbury's for sure are up to their necks in it now and they are our only chance.

Welcome back FBM mate,nice to see you and a reasoned post....but I feel we are just about 2 mins away from hitting the iceberg. Sainsbury's for sure are up to their necks in it now and they are our only chance.

TBH Sainsbury's are in hard-nosed business and if SUFC goes to teh wall, but they have their shiny new supermarket at Roots Hall their view will be "so what". People will still shop there, and if 7-10,000 former supporters of a now defunct football club take their trade elsewhere (and 75% probably do already) it'll be a drop in the ocean.

So, and I have seen a lot of "Sainsbury's won't want to be involved with causing a football club to go out of business" posts on here, get it out of your heads now!

We are the fag of Prince Edward. Right royally bu**ered.

The Sainsburys AGM is on 14 July - any shareholders able to attend and ask a question?

I agree to a certain extent and i dont pretend to know how bad things were in the 80's , but as someone who started supporting blues under jobson and saw first hand what that man did to our club i can honestly say this is as bad as i have known it.

I agree to a certain point also that we do not know the full extent of the situation nor do we know what is instore in the near future.

We do however know that :

We have no money and are letting contracted players walk when we could have got a fee

We have not paid players on time of at all for a number of months

We are making staff throughout the club redundant someo of which are on very small wages

We have had 4000 odd sign up for seasos the money has already gone and wages are still not being paid

We are under an embargo and pre-season is just days away and we have a squad of 9 , and out of that 9 possibly 3 will be leaving.

Given all of that i would certainly not say we shouldnt just wait and see as we dont have many facts.

We have plenty of facts and the lack of activity and noise coming from the board the club and tilly would all point to disaster behind the scenes.

Waiting and trustin in Ron would be suicide

Back