• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are you doing your "Job" for the Money or for the satisfaction?

Winkle

Manager
I am at a crossroads chaps! After spending the last two monthes training to be something I wasn't doing before, I have woken up to the stark reality that The job I am know employed to do gives me no satisfaction what so ever! I am purely doing it for the Money. Noing this I dont think it wont be long before I throw the towel in and try something else, the thing is what? I worked for one company for 21 years and was basically in the comfort zone, so at the grand old age of 41, I find myself in no mans land.
There must be other shrimperzoners out there who have retrained to do something?After scanning the internet and job Vacancies it seems I might be a bit over the hill although I am fighting fit, so as anyone got any Ideas?
As I cannot talk the missus into remortaging the house and setting up on my own, its going to have to be working for somebody else im afraid as my first choice job of gigilo as gone due to my six pack turning into a party four.
Answers please!

Personally mate I do my job mainly for the cash. There is some satisfaction in helping people get a new home but in the main I spend the day re-jigging finances of northerns who have spent too much on there credit card.

I have never had as much enjoyment as when I was a sports coach at 18 and my sole job was to keep the kids entertained all day - But sadly it wasnt enough money to keep me in SUFC games so i had to move on.

That said your circumstances are different at 41 to mine at 18.

Dad of DtS got so sick of Insurance a few years ago after his stroke that he tried desperately to get into something new. However sadly he was so pigeon holed by that point he couldnt really find a lot other that really menial jobs.

He ended up moving back into Insurance and got a few job offers in his first week of seriously looking.

For the money unfortunately :(

Still, it's a p1ss-easy job and lets face it I'm on here all day.

All about the satisfaction. Although Laddies are really taking the pee at the moment, so I better damn well be getting some more moolah!

i just had an interview "abandoned" just now.. nightmare.. phone interviews are GAY!!!!!!

i just had an interview "abandoned" just now.. nightmare.. phone interviews are GAY!!!!!!

Phone interviews are homosexual? What kind of job was you going for? Graham Norton's fluffer?

SZONE SHOCK NEWS: Josh/Jon is gay for pay!

I initially chose the Job for the money (there was nothing around with what I wanted to do) really got into it, and for a while it was a bit of both, of late it is for the money.

This is a real conundrum (unless you find something you love doing which pays well) When you are young and single you want satisfaction and don't need big (relatively) money. When you are struggling to find the money to pay the mortgage, feed the kids etc, its a different kettle of fish. As someone said to me when I was considering a change of companies but enjoyed working with the people at the time "Mates don't butter your bread" and the same applies to Job satisfaction.

The worst bit is once you hit "a certain age" If you did the job for 30 years because of the money, then you start really disliking the job, are going nowhere within the job any more so the salary stays still, yet are completely unable to change careers because you still have a mortgage / bills etc to pay.
Whereas if you did the Job for 30 years because you enjoyed it (and put up with the sh*t salary) you may be tired of scrimping by, struggling with debts etc and this may have impacted on your enjoyment.

My advice, get a job you want for Job satisfaction, then limit your ambition regarding material things (nice house , nice car etc) so that should the salary not prove particular good you still enjoy the job.

Then find a bird who earns shedloads so that she provides the big house etc...

Totally money for me. I hate it (although where I am now is not as bad as the past place).

If I didn't have the commitments I do, I'd be probably half-way through a degree retraining to do something a lot more satisfying.

Satisfaction has always come before money for me - can't be unhappy for 40 hours a week no matter how much I'm being paid. I also do something I believe in wholeheartedly which is nice, and I'm lucky that I get paid pretty well to do it these days.

Initially it was satisfaction, but as the years have rolled on it's purely money...

"I work to live, not live to work"

Last edited:
mine is a mixture of both, as my Robes so rightly points out, there no point doing something for 40 hours a week if your unhappy. Luckily the money covers my living costs and the job is good.

I know one day i'll get bored of it all, as i like to do stuff with my hands, and the brain wont last forever... i think if im well off enough by the time im 40 i'd really like to become a landscpae gardener or something like that.... i decided this the other day when me and Dad of Dave were hacking an old tree down in the back garden!

at the moment it's about the cash - with 2 kids and a few credit cards to pay off, I need the money. But setting up a new company and that could change in the next 6 months.

:O)

Money.

That said, I'm too much of a financial scaredy-cat to give it up for something else (and, indeed, I've no idea whether I'd really be any cop at any of the other things - publican, commentator - that I've thought I might want to do).

Matt

With me it's both.

I'm loving my job at the moment, even though my throat is going a bit at the moment. Plus I dont have to work weekends and evenings anymore, result. Also the money is good too so am now able to go to more footie games, nights out with my mates and have fun :)

With me it's both.

I'm loving my job at the moment, even though my throat is going a bit at the moment. Plus I dont have to work weekends and evenings anymore, result. Also the money is good too so am now able to go to more footie games, nights out with my mates and have fun :)

I wish I'd got paid to do a university course.... :p ;)

Definately the money!!

If I won a decent amount on the lottery (couple of mill) i'd give up work for sure! At least until I got bored anyway. My job is not bad, people are always asking me about it and saying how interesting it is etc, but having done it for two years I'm slowing started to get itchy feet. I've never been a great career minded person. Always wanted to be a footballer when I was little, Division 4 of the Southend Sunday league says that I didn't quite make it!!!

Back