• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are You in Favour of a Truce as per SVC

Do SZ members agree with Stan to cease protests asap ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is it ? Have you seen the size of our attendances lately ? I'd say that's a lot. And 95% is hardly a close call.
I'm not commenting on the outcome, that is absolutely conclusive, so don't try putting words in my mouth. I was disappointed it wasn't a bigger vote, when you consider crowds into 5 figures weren't uncommon some years back, that we're still getting crowds double that number and that many people have subscribed to the #notapennymore brigade, I thought it would be a bigger vote.

I'm not commenting on the outcome, that is absolutely conclusive, so don't try putting words in my mouth. I was disappointed it wasn't a bigger vote, when you consider crowds into 5 figures weren't uncommon some years back, that we're still getting crowds double that number and that many people have subscribed to the #notapennymore brigade, I thought it would be a bigger vote.
I think 2000 votes is a huge amount.

When the state organises a Parliamentary by-election they get turnouts of around a third. That’s with weeks of campaigning, door-to-door canvassing, flyers, National media coverage and all the legitimacy of it being required by law.

The Shrimpers Trust and assorted other supporter groups had none of these advantages and it is very much to its credit (and Ron’s discredit) that it was able to attract so many votes in such short a period of time.

I was surprised the vote was lowest than 2,000 turn out, given we have sold more season tickets than that, the average crowd so far this season is over 4,900 and our lowest home crowd this season has been in excess of 3,300 it seemed small to me. I understand it was a short window for us to vote so we had results prior to the Zoom call, but maybe it could have been kept open longer and the interim results were given and then after the poll closed the final results and numbers voting could have been stated. In no way is that meant as a criticism, just saying i think more votes leading to a % just as high would have hot home twice so to speak, in the zoom half way through and then again a week later when the full results were out. Just my musings.

All credit to those who voted, just surprised we were not near the ST total at least.

A 95% no confidence vote from those that voted sends a clear message and one we all hope is listened too so we can improve the fortunes of our club.

I will finish buy saying full credit to all those groups involved and to Kerry (I think the guys name was Kerry) for hosting the zoom call very well and relaying the results so clearly.

2000 x 10 quid is 20k....

enough to pay for some decent lawyers to draw up a constitution and advise
on strategies moving forward

just saying ;-)
Just agreeing.
Ron says he'll never sell. That drip of water on rock will eventually erode.
He's had a shockingly easy ride over the last three years.

I don't think Ron has ever said he won't sell but clearly he is not going to sell now. Who would buy the club but more importantly the debt. No one in my opinion. We need to wait. First hurdle the 25th. We'll be a lot clearer then. Next hurdle may or may not be SoS. I don't see this as a problem, it's a good plan for the town and should get approved. The next hurdle is making sure the timetable for building starts and is kept to especially and crucially the fourth stand. The next hurdle after completion when Ron will be well into his 70s and will sell if the price is right is making sure the consortium and I believe it is more likely than a single individual are upstanding citizens. Here's hoping it all goes to plan.

I would think most people are likely to be "Ron Out" its just a matter of the when that niggles me.

Do I want Ron out tomorrow? Absolutely not, especially with Stan on board - but the fact he is propping the club up with wages etc means we'd be royally screwed.

Ron out when the stadium is built, he is happy, we are stable? Of course.

The "Ron Out Now" brigade saying if he walked away tomorrow someone would snap us up is a mental way to think. If he walks and we owe his companies millions and we are absolutely in the ****, who do you think is going to be sniffing around? Affluent investors with the money and heart to turn us into a great club?

Or some other chancer with barely enough money to buy the club at a reduced price because we are desperate (see Mike Ashley and Derby this week).

Ron has already said he would sell (eventually) to the 'right' buyer who had the funds and love for Southend to take us forward. For me, money talks and I'm sure if he got what he wanted he'd probably be off, but part of me does believe he cares and that when the time comes, he'd want to ensure the best deal was made for all parties that secures us with a healthy future.

Still not really see much of a plan from the "Ron Out Now" party other than hoping a "Blue Knight" comes along - as someone has said, I'm sure clubs like Bury felt as hopeful....

Its probably different, but having been part of a large UK company that went bust over Xmas last year, the absolute scum that come out of the woodwork with chancers offers and haggling over the nuts and bolts of a deal to get away with the lowest ball bid they can is frankly embarrassing (though 'its business') but I absolutely dont want our club dragged through that. Getting sold off to the bidder that can barely scrape together the funds to do it, just because thats the mess we are in.

I would think most people are likely to be "Ron Out" its just a matter of the when that niggles me.

Do I want Ron out tomorrow? Absolutely not, especially with Stan on board - but the fact he is propping the club up with wages etc means we'd be royally screwed.

The "Ron Out Now" brigade saying if he walked away tomorrow someone would snap us up is a mental way to think. If he walks and we owe his companies millions and we are absolutely in the ****, who do you think is going to be sniffing around? Affluent investors with the money and heart to turn us into a great club?

Or some other chancer with barely enough money to buy the club at a reduced price because we are desperate (see Mike Ashley and Derby this week).

Ron has already said he would sell (eventually) to the 'right' buyer who had the funds and love for Southend to take us forward. For me, money talks and I'm sure if he got what he wanted he'd probably be off, but part of me does believe he cares and that when the time comes, he'd want to ensure the best deal was made for all parties that secures us with a healthy future.

Still not really see much of a plan from the "Ron Out Now" party other than hoping a "Blue Knight" comes along - as someone has said, I'm sure clubs like Bury felt as hopeful....

Its probably different, but having been part of a large UK company that went bust over Xmas last year, the absolute scum that come out of the woodwork with chancers offers and haggling over the nuts and bolts of a deal to get away with the lowest ball bid they can is frankly embarrassing (though 'its business') but I absolutely dont want our club dragged through that. Getting sold off to the bidder that can barely scrape together the funds to do it, just because thats the mess we are in.
Just so you know the thumbs up was for the post, I am sorry for the employment predicament and hope all is okay for you.

There is the slight problem that if, for example, you look at the FB group, the 95% vote has somehow become 95% want Ron out now (which it never was else it would have said so), and we will keep protesting until that happens... This does show how a perfectly reasonable approach by one group can be used by another for different ends. The bane of protests since the beginning of time- you start off in control and then lose it. So somehow everyone needs to be on the same page and that will take some active reaching out...

the thing about running on the pitch with a big Martin out banner is that is makes great pictures/images that are widely shared on social media and even make the BBC website and many others ...

the whole football supporting community knows that we are another club is the ****e and knows the name of the man we hold responsible ...

running on the pitch with a big banner has achieved a lot - very quickly
I get that you could argue it's achieved something, Stan has stepped up again and hopefully he stays but my worry is we'll get points deducted or fined and we could end up going down again if that happens which helps no one.

Personally I'd rather they were kept off the pitch but I can see the other side of it as well.

The final figures show an over-whelming votes for a cease-fire.

Given last night's news I hope, unless Ron plays up , that we progress on field after a settling in period and become the Mighty Southend United very soon

Ron owns, and is sitting on, two huge parcels of land. He will take the flack, get the deal done and enjoy the profits...he will also pump more money into the club. The club owes him a large sum of money. He will never sell. He is here for the long term. Protests just get the players down. New day. New management structure. Let's get behind them all. COYB's!

Back