• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

arise SIR GARETH SOUTHGATE...or not

ozzie

Manager
question for you all??
How did he do?
Did he,England deserve a open top bus,when he/they get back home?
was England really that good???
as the dust settles,no more beer(unlike me),getting out of the sun and we take "stock" about this WC.How good,average or poor was he.
Some people want him knighted,ok OTT,etc,but at the end of the WC our record was.
Won 3...Tunisia,Panama and Sweden
drew one Columbia(but won on pens)
Lost 3,twice v Belgium and once v croatia
Were we that good?

Southgate did a great job given what he has to work with, the only thing he could do was get them to show a bit of composure on the ball and get the team spirit going. He achieved all of this and we exploited our strength at set pieces well but we were hamstrung by not having enough attacking quality/flair and that's ultimately what cost us, that's not GS's fault.

Southgate did a great job given what he has to work with, the only thing he could do was get them to show a bit of composure on the ball and get the team spirit going. He achieved all of this and we exploited our strength at set pieces well but we were hamstrung by not having enough attacking quality/flair and that's ultimately what cost us, that's not GS's fault.

Agreed. Our strike force were fairly dismal. Laughable that Kane is going to win TGB when he only performed in 2 of the 6 games he played in.

There is lots of work to do if we're going to compete with the likes of Belgium, France, etc. But the future is very bright and the country is more connected to the national team since 1996 and that's a huge positive.

true, but we have Harry Kane!! the press-fans(some)say the best number 9 the world??
Im not sure,but i think he had ,in open play two shots at/on target in 7 games..today he had one and slipped over.
but whatever people write/think...i read only Iran had less shots on target than England,

Last edited:
This is laughable. Southgate is working with a group of youngsters who are still raw and have their best years ahead of them. We performed way above people's expectations and reached the last four.

Today we were beaten by a superior team with world class talent who I actually tipped to win the World Cup. We tried our best, especially in the 2nd half but didn't have the quality to break them down.

As for Kane, he clearly hadn't recovered from the knock he got against Colombia. He looked weary and lacked mobility. Probably shouldn't have played to be honest but I can understand why he did.

Kane should not have played,im not sure why he did play him as well. He was off the game,in fact the last few games.
The only reason,i can think off,is that GS does not really rate the other two forewards.Their time with England could well be over.
We all know we tried our best,never known a team that does not.

Back