• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Arise, Sir Ryan?

EastStandBlue

Life President
Every broadcast of a United game at the moment, mainly because of his surge in form, focuses on the same banner that pleads for The Queen to grant Ryan Giggs a knighthood.

Personally, I love Giggsy. As a fellow left-footer, I grew up watching him and I don't think there's been a better British player to grace the Premiership, and only one or two foreign players that have bettered him. He's certainly served football greatly, you've never seen him emblazoned across the red-tops in shame and he's bounced back from some nasty injuries that would've ended the career of an average player.

When he was losing his pace slightly, he took up a rigorous yoga regime to increasehis flexibility. When he lost his place in the squad, he adapted his play to suit what Ferguson was after and has always been dependable when needed most.

I'd certainly back any decision to grant him a Knighthood...

Every broadcast of a United game at the moment, mainly because of his surge in form, focuses on the same banner that pleads for The Queen to grant Ryan Giggs a knighthood.

Personally, I love Giggsy. As a fellow left-footer, I grew up watching him and I don't think there's been a better British player to grace the Premiership, and only one or two foreign players that have bettered him. He's certainly served football greatly, you've never seen him emblazoned across the red-tops in shame and he's bounced back from some nasty injuries that would've ended the career of an average player.

When he was losing his pace slightly, he took up a rigorous yoga regime to increasehis flexibility. When he lost his place in the squad, he adapted his play to suit what Ferguson was after and has always been dependable when needed most.

I'd certainly back any decision to grant him a Knighthood...

He seems to be one of the few players that its hard to dislike, whatever your allegiances. However I do feel that Knighthoods should be for a bit more then doing your lucrative job well, however impressively he had conducted himself.

I know little about Giggs, away from football (which is a positive and credit to him), so if he has used his fame and fortune for the greater good.... eg helped with local charities, set up soccer schools for inner city kids or something, then Id agree with a knighthood. If not though then I dont think he deserves one for his football alone, in the same way I dont think Alex Ferguson deserved one on the back of winning the Champions League (though he has probably justified it since).

Whatever his motives, Id think Beckham would deserve one before Giggs.

He seems to be one of the few players that its hard to dislike, whatever your allegiances. However I do feel that Knighthoods should be for a bit more then doing your lucrative job well, however impressively he had conducted himself.

I know little about Giggs, away from football (which is a positive and credit to him), so if he has used his fame and fortune for the greater good.... eg helped with local charities, set up soccer schools for inner city kids or something, then Id agree with a knighthood. If not though then I dont think he deserves one for his football alone, in the same way I dont think Alex Ferguson deserved one on the back of winning the Champions League (though he has probably justified it since).

Whatever his motives, Id think Beckham would deserve one before Giggs.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think Giggs does his bit for Little Havens...

I think he's playing a lot better this season than he did last season when he didn't really seem to do a lot, yet won the PFA Award.

I think he's playing a lot better this season than he did last season when he didn't really seem to do a lot, yet won the PFA Award.

he was given the PFA award because he probably should have got it previously and it was a bit of a sop. However he's been immense this season and is probably glad to be playing back out on the left in his more natural position (meaning also that Rooney is playing better as a natural centre-forward).

Lets hope Tilly picks up on this and starts playing people in their correct positions

he was given the PFA award because he probably should have got it previously and it was a bit of a sop. However he's been immense this season and is probably glad to be playing back out on the left in his more natural position (meaning also that Rooney is playing better as a natural centre-forward).

Lets hope Tilly picks up on this and starts playing people in their correct positions

He'll have to buy players for the correct positions first...

Back on topic though, I've no doubt that Giggs' form has been down to a return to the left flank and a burning desire to right the wrongs of the Champions League final last season. If you listen to any Old Trafford press conference, it's all they seem to talk about.

Fully respect Giggs for his achievements and also his longevity, but to award him a knighthood is ludicrous.

Bobby Moore lifted the World Cup, and was not recognised, possibly because of his untimely death, and I'd say that achievement alone is more deserving.

Sadly we now live in an age where such awards are thrown around like confetti, and they are also largely political.

Fully respect Giggs for his achievements and also his longevity, but to award him a knighthood is ludicrous.

Bobby Moore lifted the World Cup, and was not recognised, possibly because of his untimely death, and I'd say that achievement alone is more deserving.

Sadly we now live in an age where such awards are thrown around like confetti, and they are also largely political.

Agree Harry, no problems at all with him as a player or ambassador for the sport but no more deserving of a knighthood than Gary Lineker or Peter Beardsley. Yes, he's been an exemplary player, but that is all, let them award him the freedom of the city of Manchester which is far more fitting in the circumstances.

He is a sensational player with a outstanding attitude on and off the pitch. He is an inspiration to many. Is one of those players that nearly everyone loves (even though he plays for Man United). Maybe a knighthood would be a step too far.

Agree Harry, no problems at all with him as a player or ambassador for the sport but no more deserving of a knighthood than Gary Lineker or Peter Beardsley. Yes, he's been an exemplary player, but that is all, let them award him the freedom of the city of Manchester which is far more fitting in the circumstances.

Freedom Of Surrey would be more appropriate surely? :D

Back