• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As an attacker,he isn't even quite good. I'm just waiting now for loads of "but he runs around a lot "comments.A bit like the ants on our patio.

Indeed, 'running around a lot' is the bare minimum when it comes to my expectations of a footballer, whether playing 6 a side with your mates or a professional for SUFC.

Sign of a good manager and tactician to pick a squad for different games depending on the opposition after the homework has been done..

And to also keep those players who aren't playing on board and making sure they are aware why they haven't been selected that week. The bigger and better the squad the more important the man management skills of the management team. I would expect that players like Deegan, Atkinson and Prosser are aware of their roles in the squad and know there are some weeks where they won't be involved.

And to also keep those players who aren't playing on board and making sure they are aware why they haven't been selected that week. The bigger and better the squad the more important the man management skills of the management team. I would expect that players like Deegan, Atkinson and Prosser are aware of their roles in the squad and know there are some weeks where they won't be involved.

I genuinely believe that come January 16 serious interest from FL2 clubs will mean we could see several of the fringe players moving on to other clubs. Where we are in the league at that time may affect their decisions, but I do believe it will happen.

i do recall making a couple of visits to Priory Park as a very young autograph-collector but stopped when my sister asked why I didn't wear my blue and white scarf and bobble-hat.

Used to watch them at the back of Gloucester Park in Basildon back in the day. Got some signatures and photos, Sammy, Peter Butler etc

Maybe its just me, but in 55 years of watching Southend I've never once had the slightest desire to watch them training !

Each to their own. You get to see a match that's not too long. You see different fitness drills. You see PB and GC putting them right. You see how different managers work. Steve Tilson was very quiet. Paul Sturrock liked to get the players in a huddle after a training match, to talk to them. Phil Brown is much more hands on and intense. He stops the training games a lot to give players plenty of instructions. You see the shooting practice, which needs working on. The goalkeeper training is very good. The training under Phil Brown is the best by far. It's actually quite enjoyable most times.

By reading this, Jack Payne has to up his work rate, if he wanted to be a success at League 1 & beyond, if he carry on working hard in training, it's wont be long before he can make first team his own. He have to try and adapt to playing wide, it's one of few position he can play, but not in middle, but learn to play up front alongside Hunt etc should we picked up injuries there.

Maybe its just me, but in 55 years of watching Southend I've never once had the slightest desire to watch them training !

And I've never had the slightest desire to study the records and abilities of Match Officials, but I am very grateful that you take the time to do it, and then share your excellent summaries with the rest of us :smile:

Each to their own. You get to see a match that's not too long. You see different fitness drills. You see PB and GC putting them right. You see how different managers work. Steve Tilson was very quiet. Paul Sturrock liked to get the players in a huddle after a training match, to talk to them. Phil Brown is much more hands on and intense. He stops the training games a lot to give players plenty of instructions. You see the shooting practice, which needs working on. The goalkeeper training is very good. The training under Phil Brown is the best by far. It's actually quite enjoyable most times.

Thanks, TSNB. By going, watching, and reporting you have enlightened me on a part of SUFC which is vital to our success, but is rarely properly analysed on here, and you have also started one of the more interesting (and civilised) discussions on Shrimperzone of this season.

By reading this, Jack Payne has to up his work rate, if he wanted to be a success at League 1 & beyond, if he carry on working hard in training, it's wont be long before he can make first team his own. He have to try and adapt to playing wide, it's one of few position he can play, but not in middle, but learn to play up front alongside Hunt etc should we picked up injuries there.

Why does Payne need to adapt to being a wide player? Don't get the logic. He can play though the centre. He may never be a nailed on starter for us and he can offer something from the bench that is invaluable, the ability to run ragged tiring defenders.

He have the skills & tricky to get past the full back and either cut in to take a shot on goal or set up an assist. Playing through the middle, he have to up his work rate, should he lose the ball, he have to win it back.

He have the skills & tricky to get past the full back and either cut in to take a shot on goal or set up an assist. Playing through the middle, he have to up his work rate, should he lose the ball, he have to win it back.

He is like a little terrier yapping at the heels of the opposition (although not always successful), a prime example is winning the ball which lead to Piggot goal at Wembley so we know he can do it

They had a very full on intense training match. The hardest working in my opinion was Jack Payne, although his shooting needs working on, and Gary Deegan who was my star of the show. He looks like he's busting a gut to get into the team. Best goal was from McLaughlin. Unfortunately, Kevan Hurst limped off after a heavy challenge, and didn't come back. Clearly done something, just hope it's not too bad. Mind you, he wasn't playing great and looks half the player he once was for us. Coughlan was giving most instructions for this one. He seems a little more intense since becoming assistant manager. Worst haircut, Pigott, but although he played well he needs a bit more tenacity in his game to boss defenders, as he is being bossed at the moment, and he needs to get away from defenders more.

That Kevan Hurst injury has turned out to be medial ligaments.

Timlin managed to adapt playing wide too, I was staying that Payne is far too light weight to play in middle of 4-4-2 we played in last two game. That why he have to adapt in playing other position where he can do damage.

That Kevan Hurst injury has turned out to be medial ligaments.

Was at training today as was Ron Martin. Ben Clarkson and Martin were talking and heard Clarkson tell Martin that Hurst has gone for a scan and it would be 3 - 4 weeks minimum for him to get back to training.

Coker could be fit for Saturday. He came out just before the end of training and did some running and stretching under the watchful eyes of 2 of the fitness/physio team.

O'Neil is ready to step in if Coker not fit, I rather not risk him if he was 70/80 fit for Saturday.

Was at training today as was Ron Martin. Ben Clarkson and Martin were talking and heard Clarkson tell Martin that Hurst has gone for a scan and it would be 3 - 4 weeks minimum for him to get back to training.

Coker could be fit for Saturday. He came out just before the end of training and did some running and stretching under the watchful eyes of 2 of the fitness/physio team.

Interesting that Ron was there. Does he take part in any of the training, or do stuff with the dome?

Back