• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
They had a very full on intense training match. The hardest working in my opinion was Jack Payne, although his shooting needs working on, and Gary Deegan who was my star of the show. He looks like he's busting a gut to get into the team. Best goal was from McLaughlin. Unfortunately, Kevan Hurst limped off after a heavy challenge, and didn't come back. Clearly done something, just hope it's not too bad. Mind you, he wasn't playing great and looks half the player he once was for us. Coughlan was giving most instructions for this one. He seems a little more intense since becoming assistant manager. Worst haircut, Pigott, but although he played well he needs a bit more tenacity in his game to boss defenders, as he is being bossed at the moment, and he needs to get away from defenders more.

Bolger trained today. Saturdays starting XI didn't.

Kevin Maher was taking the Youth's training session.

I did see Chris Phillips's tweet that he wasn't injured. Although I didn't think he would start the game against Peterboro (I predicted that McLoughlin would replace him), it was a surprise for him to drop out of the squad completely especially as he had played 80 minutes in the game against Coventry. O'Neill and Deegan both on the bench even though they were not even in squad against Coventry. I was just wondering why Atkinson went from 'starter' to 'out of squad'.

I did see Chris Phillips's tweet that he wasn't injured. Although I didn't think he would start the game against Peterboro (I predicted that McLoughlin would replace him), it was a surprise for him to drop out of the squad completely especially as he had played 80 minutes in the game against Coventry. O'Neill and Deegan both on the bench even though they were not even in squad against Coventry. I was just wondering why Atkinson went from 'starter' to 'out of squad'.

because he isn't very good.

I just think it's very difficult for the manager to pick a team at the moment as the squad is so strong. You only have to go to training to see how those that aren't picked are really taking training seriously. We have some very good midfielders at the club now, but he obviously can't pick them all. Lenny and Timlin have risen to the top at the moment, and then it's a hard choice between Wordsworth, Deegan, Payne, and Atkinson, for the other place, as normally it's a winger that is picked to start deep to make up the four in midfield, now that the penny has at last dropped and Phil Brown can now see that 442 is best for these players.

I just think it's very difficult for the manager to pick a team at the moment as the squad is so strong. You only have to go to training to see how those that aren't picked are really taking training seriously. We have some very good midfielders at the club now, but he obviously can't pick them all. Lenny and Timlin have risen to the top at the moment, and then it's a hard choice between Wordsworth, Deegan, Payne, and Atkinson, for the other place, as normally it's a winger that is picked to start deep to make up the four in midfield, now that the penny has at last dropped and Phil Brown can now see that 442 is best for these players.

Agree, and as has been mentioned on another post, PB will have another 'good' dilemma soon in the CB role (plenty of competition when everyone fully fit). Just seems strange that a player (Atkinson) can play 80 minutes in a hard-fought draw away from home and then be completely dropped for the next game and is replaced by two players who weren't considered good enough for the bench against Coventry. I understand it is a difficult situation but, ultimately, a good one to have. How many players would you now say consider themselves 'undroppable' at the moment? Perhaps only Bentley, Coker, Leonard and Hunt (personally, I would also include White but there do seem to be quite a few people who fancy O'Neill to dislodge him sooner rather than later). Everyone else is looking over their shoulder at a decent replacement waiting to take their place.

Agree, and as has been mentioned on another post, PB will have another 'good' dilemma soon in the CB role (plenty of competition when everyone fully fit). Just seems strange that a player (Atkinson) can play 80 minutes in a hard-fought draw away from home and then be completely dropped for the next game and is replaced by two players who weren't considered good enough for the bench against Coventry. I understand it is a difficult situation but, ultimately, a good one to have. How many players would you now say consider themselves 'undroppable' at the moment? Perhaps only Bentley, Coker, Leonard and Hunt (personally, I would also include White but there do seem to be quite a few people who fancy O'Neill to dislodge him sooner rather than later). Everyone else is looking over their shoulder at a decent replacement waiting to take their place.

I'd add Worrall to that list personally. Our most creative outlet in midfield.

I'd add Worrall to that list personally. Our most creative outlet in midfield.

Do you know what, as soon as I put up that post I kicked myself for not including Worrall. Tried to edit post but I am on PC at work (in my lunchtime!!) and it is like using bloody dial-up!!! Anyway, totally agree

When you take a step back and look at the squad I think PB has done a great job in assembling these players , i think its a strong squad , if i was to be critical he maybe has too many similar type players in the same positions but it seems he is finally identifying his best 11 - it doesn't surprise me that we picked up 3 points after the team was announced .
I think he can improve on our RB position and I like the look of Rea at the back , he seemed very composed.

As many have highlighted if Hunt does get injured then we look a bit dry up top

It's really up to these players who wasn't started on Saturday Vs Peterborough to force their way back into the team.

Sign of a good manager and tactician to pick a squad for different games depending on the opposition after the homework has been done..

They had a very full on intense training match. The hardest working in my opinion was Jack Payne, although his shooting needs working on, and Gary Deegan who was my star of the show. He looks like he's busting a gut to get into the team. Best goal was from McLaughlin. Unfortunately, Kevan Hurst limped off after a heavy challenge, and didn't come back. Clearly done something, just hope it's not too bad. Mind you, he wasn't playing great and looks half the player he once was for us. Coughlan was giving most instructions for this one. He seems a little more intense since becoming assistant manager. Worst haircut, Pigott, but although he played well he needs a bit more tenacity in his game to boss defenders, as he is being bossed at the moment, and he needs to get away from defenders more.

Maybe its just me, but in 55 years of watching Southend I've never once had the slightest desire to watch them training !

Maybe its just me, but in 55 years of watching Southend I've never once had the slightest desire to watch them training !

Me neither, is it an age thing maybe? Whatever your age you don't want to.

because he isn't very good.

As an attacker,he isn't even quite good. I'm just waiting now for loads of "but he runs around a lot "comments.A bit like the ants on our patio.

With a large squad of good performers it gives PB a great opportunity to pick sides to suit opposition and to have great impact making substitutions. The downside is that unless you have a massive commitment to the whole SUFC project then we will have other teams sniffing around any discontents during transfer windows. Unlike a certain Spurs player, I can imagine that the whole squad want to be playing as much game time as possible, and not just being content with picking up the pay-cheque. Here's hoping there is commitment to the PB/RM SUFC project!

i do recall making a couple of visits to Priory Park as a very young autograph-collector but stopped when my sister asked why I didn't wear my blue and white scarf and bobble-hat.

Back