• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
I had to go near the training ground today, so popped in as the time was right. It was 8 versus 8 on a short pitch. Very intense and fast as usual, with some cracking goals scored today. Coughlin was taking training today with Phil Brown looking on and even making up the numbers on the pitch. Barrett and Thompson not there for some reason. Hope they're O.K. Wordsworth is a little ring rusty as you would expect. Anton Ferdinand looked good without busting a gut, probably so as not to make the injury recur. Antoine Fortune just looked O.K. and nothing more to me. The star of the show was Coker. Looks back to his top form. Worked his nuts off. Was great coming forward and nobody got past him. Also scored a great goal curling it into the top corner. Nobody beat Inniss in the air, but he needs to run a bit more to break into the first team. Lenny was class. Phil Brown kept his position but looked a bit slow to me.
After the match, Coughlan had 8 players doing an attacking midfielder against a defender. So the attacker had to run with the ball and get past the back tracking defender. Ferdinand and Coker stood out. At the end they did a few two attackers against one defender. Couglan was very good at his job today. Ferdinand was giving a little advice which was nice to see.
Whilst all the training was going on, Timlin was doing lots of running routines in the background. He looked fine and was moving nicely. I think he may be back in full training quicker than the two weeks Phil Brown said.

I had to go near the training ground today, so popped in as the time was right. It was 8 versus 8 on a short pitch. Very intense and fast as usual, with some cracking goals scored today. Coughlin was taking training today with Phil Brown looking on and even making up the numbers on the pitch. Barrett and Thompson not there for some reason. Hope they're O.K. Wordsworth is a little ring rusty as you would expect. Anton Ferdinand looked good without busting a gut, probably so as not to make the injury recur. Antoine Fortune just looked O.K. and nothing more to me. The star of the show was Coker. Looks back to his top form. Worked his nuts off. Was great coming forward and nobody got past him. Also scored a great goal curling it into the top corner. Nobody beat Inniss in the air, but he needs to run a bit more to break into the first team. Lenny was class. Phil Brown kept his position but looked a bit slow to me.
After the match, Coughlan had 8 players doing an attacking midfielder against a defender. So the attacker had to run with the ball and get past the back tracking defender. Ferdinand and Coker stood out. At the end they did a few two attackers against one defender. Couglan was very good at his job today. Ferdinand was giving a little advice which was nice to see.
Whilst all the training was going on, Timlin was doing lots of running routines in the background. He looked fine and was moving nicely. I think he may be back in full training quicker than the two weeks Phil Brown said.

Timlin in may not be up to match training, but good to see he was making a good fist of the running routines:whistling:

Last edited:

Where was you viewing this from? The car park or the secret alley? I have seen Brown a few times, when they have had practice matches, he lets them get on with it a bit too much for me, I wanted to shout look up, look up, look up, when certain players had the ball with their head down, not looking around enough to pass, he should have been stopping them and chipping in with more input, there was nowhere near enough input for me, have you noticed the same? love to get someone like Paul Clark in as a coach, think he would be good.

Where was you viewing this from? The car park or the secret alley? I have seen Brown a few times, when they have had practice matches, he lets them get on with it a bit too much for me, I wanted to shout look up, look up, look up, when certain players had the ball with their head down, not looking around enough to pass, he should have been stopping them and chipping in with more input, there was nowhere near enough input for me, have you noticed the same? love to get someone like Paul Clark in as a coach, think he would be good.

Why would you have to ask....If you have watched the team train a few times.

Why would you have to ask....If you have watched the team train a few times.
I thought you were banned, oh well.

you can view the pitch from quite a few places.

I asked someone else if they had the same view, thoughts as myself, we don't all feel the same or think the same is that hard for you to understand?.. are you feeling ok, obviously not...

I thought you were banned, oh well.

I asked someone else if they had the same view, thoughts as myself, we don't all feel the same or think the same is that hard for you to understand?.. are you feeling ok, obviously not...

Just asking why would you have to watch from the car park

I was watching from inside a car at the edge of the car park, in front of the first pitch where they normally play.
PB usually does all the match training, stopping the games every few minutes to give instructions. But he thinks he has been overdoing it, as it may be too much for the players to take in. So he's letting Coughlan have a few goes. He gives much less instructions and lets the games flow more. If performances improve like they did against Milwall, then it's a good thing.

You make it seem so simple, this coaching game. I don't remember Paul Clark being renowned for his passing skills and vision.

Brown out.

no but as time has gone on his knowledge of the game has grown and grown, I would have him.

I agree that he talks a lot of common sense when commentating, but what I don't understand is why he hasn't managed a club since Southend in 1988. Maybe he just doesn't fancy a manager's job.

I agree that he talks a lot of common sense when commentating, but what I don't understand is why he hasn't managed a club since Southend in 1988. Maybe he just doesn't fancy a manager's job.

This explains it a bit. He was very badly treated by Southend twice, especially after promotion. So I think he lost heart with being a manager. He also does other things to this day, along with the BBC Essex commentating. This was him 7 years ago, as he's 58 now.

Clark: 'I may have overstepped that line on a couple of occasions but I got away with it!

Clarkey was always known for his tough tackling and his passion for the cause and is affectionatly remebered by fans of both clubs.

Talking to www.theargus.co.uk, the Viking recalls those times: "I used to run about making tackles and they seemed to enjoy that. It's a bit different in this day and age. The game has changed and they have limited a large amount of the tackling. That was going on over the course of my career. It wasn't always the case that you could kick anybody you like. There has always been a line you could go up to. The smart ones knew where the line was and went right up to it. I couldn't make tackles at the end of my career that I made at the start of my career but I am quite proud of the fact that, even with the reputation I had, I never got myself sent off."

Clark, who turned 51 last Wednesday, has a varied post playing life, running a driving school and tiling business while summarising for BBC Radio Essex on the Blues, and even filing reports for the Press Association from Roots Hall.

He even out took time out to help long-time mate Joe Dunne, when he became caretaker manager of the Farmers due to Paul Lambert going to Norwich.

For Southend fans they will not only recall the playing but also the time he took over as the Blues boss.

Clarke continued: "When David Webb left the first time, with a third of the season to go, I took over and we carried on and won promotion. They gave the job to someone else in the summer and there was quite a furore about it. Certain promises had been made so it was a bit of an upsetting time. I took over again when they were near the bottom of the table and then the following season David Webb was brought back so I was kind of pushed aside. I went away in a bit of a strop at the time but went back to just playing and won another two promotions with them so it would be a bit churlish to say it affected things with them too much."

Back