• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Athlete

Ron Manager

Saw Athlete at Brixton on Saturday and have to say they were absolutely amazing. I really like the album (a typically English record following the Kinks, Small Faces, BritPop lineage) and was looking foward to seeing how the songs came across live.

The crowd were totally up for it and were warmed up nicely by the fantastic Snow Patrol. Athlete came on to basically play the album and a few newies to a jumping Brixton Academy who sang along to every word.

Not musically or intellectually challenging, but to write true pop songs that can have this affect on people (ie make them smile, make them dance, make them sing) is a true art form in my opinion and I left the venue on a natural high and feeling good about the world.

I saw Northern Uproar at the Roadhouse in Manchester about seven years ago and I have to say they were a little disapointing.

On the other hand I saw Northside about three years before that and they were brilliant.

V. jealous, Ron. Had I not been singing myself (boring choral stuff, alas), I would loved to have been there.

Have they got any other gigs coming up?

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 03 2004,11:19)]V. jealous, Ron.  Had I not been singing myself (boring choral stuff, alas), I would loved to have been there.

Have they got any other gigs coming up?

Matt
Not sure Matt - I think this one was the end of a UK tour

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 03 2004,20:53)]Not sure Matt - I think this one was the end of a UK tour
sad.gif

Oh well... Hope that "Deptford's Finest" do something locally in the not too distant future for the residents of SE8... and SE10!

wink.gif

Matt

Back