• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
A few months ago the atmosphere at he hall was toxic. PB had practically applied for the Bolton job on live TV. Results and the body language of the players was that of a lost dressing room.

Skip forward a few months we are playing the kind of football that is a feast for the eyes. Crowds are on the up and most importantly there is unity in the stands and on the pitch.

The last few games the atmosphere has been decent and even better than that even when chasing a game. I'm the w block and the rest of the West has been great in joining in. The east have also joined in with the south upper doing their part.

Great stuff and I'd like to think we have responded to the players and them to us.

Great feeling going into each match day now.

UTB

A few months ago the atmosphere at he hall was toxic. PB had practically applied for the Bolton job on live TV. Results and the body language of the players was that of a lost dressing room.

Skip forward a few months we are playing the kind of football that is a feast for the eyes. Crowds are on the up and most importantly there is unity in the stands and on the pitch.

The last few games the atmosphere has been decent and even better than that even when chasing a game. I'm the w block and the rest of the West has been great in joining in. The east have also joined in with the south upper doing their part.

Great stuff and I'd like to think we have responded to the players and them to us.

UTB

I think some of the other lads might have something to say about that. Taking credit for the whole block :smile:

Compared to the first couple of months....a world away.
Key to achieving this...getting the first choice 11 playing regularly.
Ironing out early season grumbles/clashes and getting everyone pulling in the same direction. At the end of the day winning is better than losing, players, fans, management always happy when winning matches and involved in a play off push.

Currently loving the atmosphere, which does seem reflective on the players performance of late.

The only concern is that we are getting used to winning games and expectations therefore heighten, just hope we can remain positive and get behind the team should things slip. Bound to go through a sticky patch (oooh errr) before long, so just hope the cheers remain and we will get that PO place.

In terms of noise the atmosphere is no different to normal. The sound just doesn't travel and you can barely hear W Block in other parts of the ground. I stand in W and sit in South Upper depending on who I go wth and yes when in W block its noisey but no one else can here you that well!

But loving the the positive atmosphere currently, shows how many people got it wrong early doors and also how fickle football fans are. One defeat and it will all change 1-1 at Rochdale and could hear the stand moaning and people getting on players backs

In terms of noise the atmosphere is no different to normal. The sound just doesn't travel and you can barely hear W Block in other parts of the ground. I stand in W and sit in South Upper depending on who I go wth and yes when in W block its noisey but no one else can here you that well!

But loving the the positive atmosphere currently, shows how many people got it wrong early doors and also how fickle football fans are. One defeat and it will all change 1-1 at Rochdale and could hear the stand moaning and people getting on players backs

Which stand was that? The part of the West Stand T block that we were in wasn't on anyone's case.

Football is the same as most things in life. Positive attitude, trust, belief and support - goes a long way!
UNITED is in the name!

The part of the West Stand that I was in was definitely on the refs case.

Yeah, but that doesn't count because he was a total nob. T block was suggesting he wasn't very good as well but nobody was ragging the players.

Graham Alexander was recently quoted as saying this was our 12th man. Let's keep it up and continue to make it tough for travelling sides.

Graham Alexander was recently quoted as saying this was our 12th man. Let's keep it up and continue to make it tough for travelling sides.

Have to say I agree, the fans at home this season have been incredible. There is a definite buzz around Roots Hall of late, I haven't enjoyed home games as much as this for a long while.

UTB

In that case I politely suggest you go on a diet.

UTB

You guys and your 'lost dressing room' - you are never going to let that go are you!

The only difference now is that the team are playing with that rare commodity in football - belief. This has been largely down to results and this was down 16 games or so ago to the return of key players (and dropping of others) and PB being able to set his team up how he always wanted to. End of. As for PB practically applying for the Bolton job on TV is as good as example you will see of certain fans rewriting history to fit their own narrative. He did nothing of the sort and his answers were no different to any manager being linked by the media to their former clubs. Look at Nigel Clough last week when it first emerged he was a candidate. He hardly dismissed it out of hand on BBC and SKY. Quite the contrary - and before he spoke to the chairman who could blame him?

i was searching for some kind of recognition that PB had contributed positively to the recruitment, tactics, spirit and ultimately the turnaround in our fortunes - in your post - but if it is there it is well hidden. Fans and players get a mention, unity in stands and pitch .... but no praise for the manager. I will assume then when we have a wobble (as all teams do) you will restrict your criticism to the fans and players too?

UTB

Absolute rubbish some of that. He was linked to the Bolton job, but never applied, and certainly not on live TV. It was a poster on here that said the deal had been done, and he was off to Bolton. At the club he was telling everyone that he wasn't going to Bolton. He was honest and said he could not turn down the Sunderland job if offered. He also never lost the dressing room I am told from someone that would know(Not a player). There were a few he fell out with over not being in the first team, but that happens at every club. The one that really blew up over being dropped was Cian Bolger. Also, when a manager loses a dressing room, they normally keep dropping points until he is sacked.

You guys and your 'lost dressing room' - you are never going to let that go are you!

The only difference now is that the team are playing with that rare commodity in football - belief. This has been largely down to results and this was down 16 games or so ago to the return of key players (and dropping of others) and PB being able to set his team up how he always wanted to. End of. As for PB practically applying for the Bolton job on TV is as good as example you will see of certain fans rewriting history to fit their own narrative. He did nothing of the sort and his answers were no different to any manager being linked by the media to their former clubs. Look at Nigel Clough last week when it first emerged he was a candidate. He hardly dismissed it out of hand on BBC and SKY. Quite the contrary - and before he spoke to the chairman who could blame him?

i was searching for some kind of recognition that PB had contributed positively to the recruitment, tactics, spirit and ultimately the turnaround in our fortunes - in your post - but if it is there it is well hidden. Fans and players get a mention, unity in stands and pitch .... but no praise for the manager. I will assume then when we have a wobble (as all teams do) you will restrict your criticism to the fans and players too?

I have said in a other posts that I was wrong about PB and that he has done very well to turn the teams fortunes around.

For the record I still believe he is very egotistical and would jump ship in a heartbeat at almost any championship job. I also stand by the fact that most managers at almost every club around the world would have found themselves out of a job after the run we had from the end of last season and the start of this. Paul Sturrock was sacked for less.

All of the above said maybe some rare praise should go to ten chairman for not only sticking by his manager but backing him.

I'll not sure why a positive post about how great roots hall Is to be on a match day has turned into some criticism of my perceived lack of praise for the manager. Each to their own.

Yes this was mentioned on BBC Essex after the game.... :thumbsup::thumbsup: that he did said our crowd was a noisy lot and was like a 12th Man

Agreed, but at the start it was very muted/quiet, only for poor refereeing decisions and shenanigans from the oppo to rile us into action. Personally I prefer being appointed a hapless official, as it really get's our crowd going.

Back