• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As has been said on here many times the acoustics at Roots Hall are appaling. You cannot hear any noise from the west stand in the east. Yet put a couple of hundred away fans in the north bank and it sounds amazing apart from today when didn't hear Chesterfield at all. Need a ground level microphone in front of the TBV section.

Was suggested some few years ago and we were told it is/was against Football League ground regulations to play crowd noise through the the PA, (although I have heard hearsay that the Spammers have been doing it at the Taxpayers' Stadium).

Having said that some of the lyrics might not be quite the ones you might want to broadcast over a PA at a family club. :winking:

Not necessary as Mrs RHB wouldn't believe him cos he's a bloke. You, on the other hand......................

Ok, where's Tinks, cos she was standing with us and commenting on it too! Honestly looked like the girl had been given all the left over odd bits of kit, none of which fitted her!

.can't say I noticed...:blush:

Oh I think everyone with vision in the West noticed it yesterday

Clearly the poor girls underwear was fast "disappearing" - it left nothing to the imagination at all

Ok, where's Tinks, cos she was standing with us and commenting on it too! Honestly looked like the girl had been given all the left over odd bits of kit, none of which fitted her!

From where we were standing looked liked there were no bits at all

View from the south (and without criticism) upper was it was a very flat atmosphere but who can blame people for not being massively excited after whats been going on of late.

What I really don't buy is the old acoustics excuse, I used to just buy this one until the Essex Senior Cup final where it was half full (at best) of Chelmsford City fans. I was shocked by the noise as it sounded fantastic and I had always thought it couldn't sound like that but that game changed my mind.

The South aren't blameless either, too many moaners etc. You get the odd, 'come on Southend' chant at a corner but that's it really. Should be much better, it has been in the past but these days you barely hear anything.

One thing that I have never understood is why the block directly behind the goal always clap the opposition keeper when he comes to his goal at the beginning of the second half. MADNESS!!!!

Oh I think everyone with vision in the West noticed it yesterday

Clearly the poor girls underwear was fast "disappearing" - it left nothing to the imagination at all

My impressionable 13 year-old went into some kind of trance, and he was very quiet all the way home......thinking of writing to the club to complain! :winking:

The problem is - acoustics.
For whatever reason (I have no idea why) noise from The North Bank transmits across the pitch and can be heard by the majority in the ground. The West? It just revolves back inside the stand. Other areas of the ground can see TBV singing and chanting - but hear very, very little. So it is the away fans most people can hear.
When I was younger we had The North Bank as "our end" and Roots Hall had an atmosphere associated with home support. So the club gives the atmospheric stand to opposing supporters and our team has to contend with an almost complete lack of vocal support.

Of course there was very good reason for that, whether you like it or not.

View from the south (and without criticism) upper was it was a very flat atmosphere but who can blame people for not being massively excited after whats been going on of late.

What I really don't buy is the old acoustics excuse, I used to just buy this one until the Essex Senior Cup final where it was half full (at best) of Chelmsford City fans. I was shocked by the noise as it sounded fantastic and I had always thought it couldn't sound like that but that game changed my mind.

The South aren't blameless either, too many moaners etc. You get the odd, 'come on Southend' chant at a corner but that's it really. Should be much better, it has been in the past but these days you barely hear anything.

One thing that I have never understood is why the block directly behind the goal always clap the opposition keeper when he comes to his goal at the beginning of the second half. MADNESS!!!!

We can never understand why people clap the away fans when the number of away fans is read out. I dont recall ever being applauded by home fans at an away game. Yes credit to the 250 that travelled down from Chesterfield but down clap them. They wont give a s@@t how many we take to their place

Of course there was very good reason for that, whether you like it or not.

Maybe...however:

Would Liverpool give away fans The Kop? Would Celtic give Rangers The Jungle? Would NUFC give away fans The Gallowgate End?
Actually - has anyone ever heard of giving away fans - the home end that creates the most noise?

Yes...there are reasons. Good reasons even. BUT few - if any other club - give the home end away. Is like giving a degree of home advantage away.

Last edited:
Back