• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Attendance at games to be considered

Note the word 'if'.
Even with 4,000 it's really 2,400, so not a great deal of extra money. Am assuming the ST loot has long gone.

Do you really think Roots Hall could accommodate 4,000 adhering to all the guidance ? Really ?

4,000 in a big new stadium, Tottenham, West Ham etc would be equivalent to about 750 at Roots Hall. It's no good just looking at the tier, you've got to look at the structure/facilities of the stadium and I'm afraid we don't score highly there.

I think we could possibly just about accommodate all of our season ticket holders if the reported 1600 is accurate.

This would of course involve organisational and administrative skills not witnessed at Roots Hall in the last couple of decades or more.

Like some others I am a season ticket holder but having come so far with the lockdown and surviving, I am certainly not going to risk football until I have had a vaccination. Fortunately I am fairly high up the list, but assumimg a vaccine is approved, reckon it would be February at the earliest.

I do believe the Club will make the ground Covid secure, but they will have little control outside of the ground and that remains a big concern.

As far as i'm aware we will be getting paper tickets for each match until things are back to normal as so many people are not in their usual seats.

This is what I was told. Paper tickets as no one or a vast majority aren't in their normal seats and once a full return is able we will receive cards for our regular seats

I can't see how we could fit 4000 in. My understanding is the club looked at selling 2250 ST I believe this is around 15% capacity ingonoring away fans. The idea being that that 2250 would be socially distanced around all four stands. I'm in a bubble of 6, with the row in front and row behind empty and 2 seats either side of our bubble empty. This I'm assuming is replicated around the stadium and if so, how could the extra fans being fitted in and socially distanced? I committed my two ST money partly to help the club and also to guarantee getting back in the ground so hopefully if only 1600 have been sold at least we will be back in December whether it's 2000 or 4000

As a ST holder in the vulnerable category, I’ll not be attending until the vaccine is available - so hope ifollow will continue to be available.
It is available every week, just get a young bloke or OBL to show you how to turn on a VPN.....bingo, watch the stream for the overseas and it’s only 7 quid?

Do you really think Roots Hall could accommodate 4,000 adhering to all the guidance ? Really ?

4,000 in a big new stadium, Tottenham, West Ham etc would be equivalent to about 750 at Roots Hall. It's no good just looking at the tier, you've got to look at the structure/facilities of the stadium and I'm afraid we don't score highly there.

I think we could possibly just about accommodate all of our season ticket holders if the reported 1600 is accurate.

This would of course involve organisational and administrative skills not witnessed at Roots Hall in the last couple of decades or more.
Prior to vaccinations,I’ve been trying hard to think of anything to be positive about for watching at Roots Hall and..........it’s very near the hospital.

Prior to vaccinations,I’ve been trying hard to think of anything to be positive about for watching at Roots Hall and..........it’s very near the hospital.
Yes you've made your point, you don't want to go. Your decision.
I and a lot of others do want to, on the other hand.
You don't hear us saying things like "your loss" etc etc.

You think you are being amusing with your childish comments, but you are just a tiresome bore.

Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions about returning to Roots Hall.

Try something new, respect those opinions.

No all of Essex was initially Tier 1. Essex County Council voluntarily requested to move into Tier 2 (possibly funding related) but the two unitary authorities, Southend and Thurrock, stayed as Tier 1.
See I thought was tier 2 and they requested tier 3, so confusing.

To be honest I don’t pay attention to it all now, so am pleasantly surprised

Last edited:
Yep, I cant see Ron liking this one bit.

Let's assume Essex comes out of lockdown in to Tier 2. So a 2,000 capacity.

We've sold 1,600 season tickets so that leaves 400 to sell on match day

But 100 go on comps maybe (Camb United scouts etc) so 300 left.

All 300 sold at say £20 average (mix of adults, juniors) so £6,000 income.

We sell four burgers and only three are returned as inedible so £3.50, plus a handful of kit kats, two bovrils and a programme.

Let's be generous and say total income then rises to £6,100.

I suspect Crowny will have to sit alone in the Ledgends Lounge as hospitality will be a no no, so extra income there is zilch.

Per a previous post it maybe (going on what Tranmere say) costs £10,000 to stage a match which doesn't seem unrealistic (assuming everyone gets paid the money they earn).

So we lose nearly £4,000 every game, and for that privilege Ron gets to hear every word of encouragement aimed in his direction echoing around the old place.

And the above fails to take into account the cost of getting Rentokil etc in to get Roots Hall looking and smelling lovely.

Hmmm.

Yep, I cant see Ron liking this one bit.

Let's assume Essex comes out of lockdown in to Tier 2. So a 2,000 capacity.

We've sold 1,600 season tickets so that leaves 400 to sell on match day

But 100 go on comps maybe (Camb United scouts etc) so 300 left.

All 300 sold at say £20 average (mix of adults, juniors) so £6,000 income.

We sell four burgers and only three are returned as inedible so £3.50, plus a handful of kit kats, two bovrils and a programme.

Let's be generous and say total income then rises to £6,100.

I suspect Crowny will have to sit alone in the Ledgends Lounge as hospitality will be a no no, so extra income there is zilch.

Per a previous post it maybe (going on what Tranmere say) costs £10,000 to stage a match which doesn't seem unrealistic (assuming everyone gets paid the money they earn).

So we lose nearly £4,000 every game, and for that privilege Ron gets to hear every word of encouragement aimed in his direction echoing around the old place.

And the above fails to take into account the cost of getting Rentokil etc in to get Roots Hall looking and smelling lovely.

Hmmm.

And what about I follow income?

A fair few would be watching online

If we are only allowed 2,000 through the gate then that could be plenty. Historically, when we are at the bottom of this division the walk-up on the day of match is always very low. Add in legitimate fears of covid and the sad fact that due to court cases involving both fans and management the club is now a very toxic entity to the vast majority of residents in the town. I fear even without covid we will struggle to get much above 2,000 through the gate.

Little income from the Club for this, most of those allowed in likely to be STHs already I'd have thought. Can't see hot food being allowed and possibly bars not open.

Nightmare for the Ticket Office too with the excellent TO manager Gavin, having moved to a similar job at Ipswich last week!

Current maximum is 11,600 give or take.
So less than half is 4,000 and also within govt guidelines of 50%.
If you're adhering to the two-metre distancing approach, it wouldn't be hard with the North Bank as a home end to accommodate.
My point was the cost.
@Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset makes the point that anything less than 4,000, and we end up losing money.
Although he factors in burger bars etc; am not so sure whether stewards want to clean up the debris from that.
Rock and a hard place IF it's tier 2.
Yes, fans are back, but money we haven't got gets spent.

There has been some talk about this in the media- they are keeping it simple (rightly or wrongly) and its 4000 providing that is not more than 50% of the grounds capacity. Which in our case it isn't.. It has been pointed out this is grossly unfair on big clubs whilst before helpful to small clubs- their again its unfair competitively based on if you find yourself in Tier 1, 2 or 3 which is arguably something clubs can't influence either.

Long and short if we are Tier 1 it will be 4000
If we are Tier 2 its 2000
This seems to be the rule? In other words it is the guidance for an outdoor elite sporting event.

Little income from the Club for this, most of those allowed in likely to be STHs already I'd have thought. Can't see hot food being allowed and possibly bars not open.

Nightmare for the Ticket Office too with the excellent TO manager Gavin, having moved to a similar job at Ipswich last week!

When is this going to end? Another key figure leaves the club!
Whenever I had a problem he was so helpful, and efficient. Best of luck at Ipswich Gavin.

When is this going to end? Another key figure leaves the club!
Whenever I had a problem he was so helpful, and efficient. Best of luck at Ipswich Gavin.

It's a lot closer to home for him so makes good sense, can't blame him in the least.

Here's a point Tranmere chairman Mark Palios just made.
If only 2,000 are allowed in, and if we've already sold 1,600 season tickets, only 400 paying customers add to the coffers.
Palios reckoned it cost around £10,000 a game to open and manage Prenton Park on matchdays, so opening Roots Hall could run at a loss if we're in Tier 2.
Weren't season tickets sold on the expectation fans would be allowed in on a limited basis at some point in the season? If they weren't then they are a serious ripoff given they work out at a lot more than the £10 a game fee iFollow charges to watch online. Ron might not be earning any extra money from opening the ground but he sold the season tickets to fans by telling them that the ground will reopen at some point in the season, if he refused to open when it's safe to do so I can see quite a few season ticket holders feeling aggrieved.

Back