• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Attendance at games to be considered

Don't forget a lot of work went into this pre-October before the rug was pulled out from under us all.

I imagine there's still plenty of work to do but some has probably been done already.

Do you know that's the case Jai or are you guessing there!?

Do you know that's the case Jai or are you guessing there!?

It's an educated guess based on discussions the liaison group had back in the summer.

I know there was original hope fans could return in October, which obviously was later scuppered, and there was work going on with regards to how RH would work under social distancing.

I have no idea if there's issues over the safety certificate etc but I don't recall it being mentioned as an issue at the time.

Policing and stewarding costs should be fairly low with no away fans.

Lloyds still haven’t released any of the ST money as far as I’m aware. We should receive the first chunk of this with fans attending for the first time. With the first block of ST money from Lloyds and ST holders buying food, drink, programmes, and spending money in the club shop hopefully a small profit can be made by allowing fans in. Especially as the club have mentioned they are looking at the possibility of hospitality packages.
can't imagine food and drink being a possibility at roots hall. The corridors are so narrow around many of those areas

can't imagine food and drink being a possibility at roots hall. The corridors are so narrow around many of those areas
You might be able to bring your own packed lunch or share a jar of pickled onions with those sat around you. Just a thought in these dark times.

Back in 1986 I did a 24 hour fast for charity. It was a school thing. Raised about four quid because my nan sponsored me. The fast finished while I was at Roots Hall for a Friday night fixture and I was starving (everything being relative) so I treated myself to two sausage rolls from the West Stand tea bar. They were very tasty but one had a big bit of gristle in. I remember it to this day. I don't hold it against Southend United, in fact it makes them more endearing.

I did the same fast the year after and the night the fast finished I had my junior football presentations at Mill Hall in Rayleigh and Glenn Pennyfather gave me a trophy. He was my favourite player. I think he wore a pink Gabicci shirt but I may be mistaken. I can relive this memory every other week thanks to I Follow. A great public service to us followers of local football.

Good luck Southend in the big fixture tomorrow!

Last edited:
You might be able to bring your own packed lunch or share a jar of pickled onions with those sat around you. Just a thought in these dark times.

Back in 1986 I did a 24 hour fast for charity. It was a school thing. Raised about four quid because my nan sponsored me. The fast finished while I was at Roots Hall for a Friday night fixture and I was starving (everything being relative) so I treated myself to two sausage rolls from the West Stand tea bar. They were very tasty but one had a big bit of gristle in. I remember it to this day. I don't hold it against Southend United, in fact it makes them more endearing.

I did the same fast the year after and the night the fast finished I had my junior football presentations at Mill Hall in Rayleigh and Glenn Pennyfather gave me a trophy. He was my favourite player. I think he wore a pink Gabicci shirt but I may be mistaken. I can relive this memory every other week thanks to I Follow. A great public service to us followers of local football.

Good luck Southend in the big fixture tomorrow!
I think I may have had a piece of that same sausage meat only last year in the East

Read somewhere that the advice for the first game was a reduced number to iron out any problems .So we could be looking at 1k gate

Read somewhere that the advice for the first game was a reduced number to iron out any problems .So we could be looking at 1k gate
Well when STHs were allocated their new seats back in September, they were basing it on a 2,250 capacity. I don't see now why they would start off with 1,000. I can't see what problems would occur with 2,000 that wouldn't occur with 1,000.

Mostly operational problems. How much training have stewards had in the build up for example? They will have had to estimate how long it takes to get people in etc. It effectively gives a chance for the processes to be changed/improved/perfected while under significantly less pressure. There may even be one way systems for people to get used to, new entrances and exits where distancing isn't possible due to a lack of space.

This won't be like going to football was before this, and if it is, then you could well see clubs banned from having crowds at all.

Mostly operational problems. How much training have stewards had in the build up for example? They will have had to estimate how long it takes to get people in etc. It effectively gives a chance for the processes to be changed/improved/perfected while under significantly less pressure. There may even be one way systems for people to get used to, new entrances and exits where distancing isn't possible due to a lack of space.

This won't be like going to football was before this, and if it is, then you could well see clubs banned from having crowds at all.
Agree with all of that Eddy. All I am saying is is that these considerations apply across the board ie for all clubs in the league. I would have thought that the figure of 2,000 or half the ground's capacity (whichever is the minimum) for clubs in Tier 2 areas, would have been evaluated based on these considerations, and after consultations with clubs and health and safety officers.
From an SUFC perspective it is the main reason why STHs bought their tickets early. That figure of 2,250 wasn't randomly chosen. It was based on an reasoned assessment of a manageable capacity once crowds were allowed to return. So a figure now of 2,000 is pretty near that and would be acceptable to most.

Starting with a 1,000 not only would be a bad marketing strategy, but also would make fans more nervous in thinking that the club had little confidence in their own procedures.

The Grimsby home game is also only 3 days later wonder if Ron will get the ground sorted in time for that one as well.
Otherwise we will be looking at the Boxing Day game before fans can get back. Then probably go tier 3 after Christmas and be banned again!!

The Grimsby home game is also only 3 days later wonder if Ron will get the ground sorted in time for that one as well.
Otherwise we will be looking at the Boxing Day game before fans can get back. Then probably go tier 3 after Christmas and be banned again!!

If he has to make a quick phone call to the relevant authorities then we're screwed

I bet Uncle Ron will hide away in one of the boxes. May not be many in the ground but he will no doubt be subjected to some harassment.

Watching Southend will be as uncomfortable as doing a 'I'm a Celeb' trial. Actually I will do a trial instead.

Who'd want to go to watch a team that "boasts";
Joint lowest wins
Most defeats
Lowest scorers
Most goals conceded
Worst goal difference
Least points ...
in League two?

Joint lowest wins
Most defeats
Lowest scorers
Most goals conceded
Worst goal difference
Least points ...
in League two?

Sounds like fun, where do I sign up for this Massochism experience?

Joint lowest wins
Most defeats
Lowest scorers
Most goals conceded
Worst goal difference
Least points ...
in League two?

I'll go to encourage the ones who are not to blame for this and if he is in the DB give the one who is to blame both barrels, socially distanced of course!

I see 1,500 Charlton season ticket holders who live in Kent were not put in the ballot for tickets for tonight's match v MK Dons.

I'm sure we have a few Kent based season ticket holders. Will be interesting to see if we allow them to attend? Mind you not confirmed that anyone allowed back at Roots Hall yet!

There you go as confirmed by club no one from tier 3 areas allowed back into Roots Hall.

Last edited:
Back