• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter

I'm not saying that's how many we'll get on Saturday; but that's how many we need to come on Saturday in order to take our season average to 4,500 exactly for our league programme.

Here are a couple of other gates & overall averages for you...

============          ===========
If, on Saturday                ...the season
we get                           average will be
============          ===========

5,786                                4,400
6,936                                4,450
7,339                                4,468 (see below)
8,086                                4,500

I'd say all that is extremely heartening - especially since we've had 3 sub-3,000 gates this season (against York, Lincoln and Boston - with the latter resulting in only 2,463 coming to Roots Hall...).

Overall attendances, for league & cup, are incredibly good too:

22 League games - Total: 95,414  (Ave: 4,337)
3 FA Cup games  -  Total: 20,394  (Ave: 6,798)  
wow.gif

biggrin.gif

4 LDV Cup games - Total: 19,168  (Ave: 4,792)  
wow.gif

biggrin.gif

1 League Cup game-Total: 3,385   (Ave: 3,385)

GRAND TOTAL:            138,361
AVERAGE (30 Games): 4,612

If Saturday's gate is 7,339 (hence why it's listed above), that will mean that 145,000 people will have passed through Roots Hall's turnstiles this season - bringing us to an average gate, for all competitions, of 4,700.

I'd say that that's fuggin' fantastic for us.  Let me put that in some sort of context:

======     ==========      ==============
Season          Manager(s)             Total Attendance
======     ==========      ==============

1994-95    Spud, Thommo           127,912 (24 home games)
1995-96      Whelan                    157,143 (26 home games)
1996-97      Whelan                    131,216 (24 home games)
1997-98      Chipmunk                 111,314 (26 home games)
1998-99    Chipmunk, Little          110,539 (26 home games)
1999-00      Little                        99,658 (25 home games)
2000-01     Little, Webb              125,066 (31 home games)
2001-02     Webb, Newman         111,403 (27 home games)
2002-03    Newman, Wignall         103,186 (25 home games)
2003-04    Wignall, Tilson             145,000 (projected)

So, there you have it.  This season has seen our highest overall attendances since Ronnie Whelan's tenure of the Roots Hall hot-seat in 1995-96.  Even more amazingly, we've had 18,000 more through the turnstiles than in our Division 1 season in 1994-95, and 15,000 more than during the Div 1 relegation season under Whelan.

To put it another way, we've had a 45.5% increase in gates since Little's 1st full season in 1999-2000.  In that context, it's perhaps less difficult to see why Little went - plunging gates, rising wages; when measured against those indicators, his tenure was actually a bit of a disaster.

It also goes to show how incredibly important a long cup run is.  If you take an average ticket price as being £10 (given adult/child ratios etc.), then we've raised almost £0.5m additional revenue this season throught increased ticket sales alone compared to Little's season.  Add to that the increased merchandising & food/drink sales, and we're looking at revenue this season being £750K-£1m higher than at its nadir under Little.

From a financial point of view, it makes Tilly & Brush's appointment look the easiest "no-brainer" decision that Ron Martin's ever had to make - especially bearing in mind that the wage bill is considerably lower now than it was under Little.

This really has been a strange season.  Looking screwed in the League at Christmas, yet with some memorable Cup games, a trip to Cardiff, a new stadium looking a more realistic prospect for the first time in ages, and our highest gates in almost a decade.

Maybe the future really is looking brighter for us Shrimpers, for a change.

COME ON SOUTHEND!

Matt

Folks - this is how a busy lawyer spends his day! Wonder how much an hour you charge these days Matt?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 05 2004,13:44)]What's that in ten words? I'm very busy.
Better attendances.
Tilly good.
Other managers rubbish.
Matt boring.
Yawn!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blue sky @ May 05 2004,13:47)]Folks - this is how a busy lawyer spends his day!
No, this is how a lawyer spends his day when he's not that busy.  When he is busy, he doesn't come anywhere near Shrimperzone...

wink.gif

Thought it might interest some people, but evidently not.

sad.gif

ghostface.gif

Matt

P.S. My charge-out rate is, of course, not only confidential but also negotiable...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 05 2004,13:44)]What's that in ten words? I'm very busy.
Big gates mean more cash mean appoint Tilly and Brush

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 05 2004,13:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (blue sky @ May 05 2004,13:47)]Folks - this is how a busy lawyer spends his day!
No, this is how a lawyer spends his day when he's not that busy.  When he is busy, he doesn't come anywhere near Shrimperzone...

wink.gif

sad.gif

ghostface.gif

Matt

P.S. My charge-out rate is, of course, not only confidential but also negotiable...

tounge.gif
Perhaps a sign of how long it took to read is that there was only one post up when I started.

Did find it quite interesting though but you probably could have done it in half the space!

(e.g. mentioning the importance of a decent cup run just once)

Just goes to show that after 2 wins in the first 13 games, the season can be turned around, and winning teams have more support.

As soon as Tilly and Basil have signed their new contracts, I will be buying my first season ticket in 6 years. Bring it on.
blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 05 2004,13:49)]
[b said:

wink.gif

sad.gif

ghostface.gif

Matt

tounge.gif
I'd say that the higher attendance is nearly as good news as the new stadium. The future is Bright, the future is Shrimp!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 05 2004,13:47)]P.S. Naps - you're busy?!  Shock horror!
Well, second day at new job and all that- can't be mucking about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 05 2004,13:51)]Did find it quite interesting though but you probably could have done it in half the space!

(e.g. mentioning the importance of a decent cup run just once)
Agreed; edited accordingly.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ May 05 2004,13:47)]Matt boring.
Yawn!
Steveh18762387463 - I was thinking of buying you a pint on Saturday. However, I'd clearly bore you to tears, so I'll make sure I don't even see you on Sat, lest the mere sight of me should fatigue you too greatly...

sad.gif
ghostface.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 05 2004,14:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ May 05 2004,13:47)]Matt boring.
Yawn!
Steveh18762387463 - I was thinking of buying you a pint on Saturday.  However, I'd clearly bore you to tears, so I'll make sure I don't even see you on Sat, lest the mere sight of me should fatigue you too greatly...

sad.gif

ghostface.gif

Matt
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Just kidding Matt, informative as always, I was just keeping the irony of B.O.L.A.C.S. going.

As it is I'm off the booze on Saturday anyway, I've got to play on the hallowed turf on Sunday, don't you know(see SZFC forum), but I don't see why I can't let you bore me for a while, Spread?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ May 05 2004,14:16)]Just kidding Matt, informative as always, I was just keeping the irony of B.O.L.A.C.S. going.
Furry muff.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ May 05 2004,14:16)]As it is I'm off the booze on Saturday anyway, I've got to play on the hallowed turf on Sunday, don't you know(see SZFC forum), but I don't see why I can't let you bore me for a while, Spread?
Ah, didn't know... not an SZFC regular!  Will try to make the Spread, but am acting in my capacity as Greenwich taxi service, so need to liaise with Mr. Spaceman Spiff.  If I can make it, I'll see you in the Spread for a stern and dull lecture, young man...

ghostface.gif

wink.gif

Matt

Quote "If 7,339 come Sat, highest total gate since Div 1."

Didnt we get over 9,000 against the borient a few seasons back???
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ May 05 2004,14:36)]Quote "If 7,339 come Sat, highest total gate since Div 1."

Didnt we get over 9,000 against the borient a few seasons back???
rock.gif
Total gate for the season, not highest individual gate, didn't we get over 9000 for an LDV game as well this year? Can't remember which one.
rock.gif

Back