• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

blue sky

First XI
under 5000 again on sat and that included a decent 300+ from Exeter.
Noticed its the 3rd time already this season we have played at home the same day as Worst Ham.
I feel this is having an effect on the casual fan, esp as the Spammers are heavily advertising discounted tickets.
Why are we playing home matches the same day as them? I thought we could elect not to clash with someone local?

Noticed its the 3rd time already this season we have played at home the same day as Worst Ham.
I feel this is having an effect on the casual fan, esp as the Spammers are heavily advertising discounted tickets.
Why are we playing home matches the same day as them? I thought we could elect not to clash with someone local?

I agree yet for some stupid reason Gillingham elect to play away when we are at home

I suppose I've buried my head in the sand around any idea that our crowd could include West Ham fans or even be affected by it. In terms of numbers, what impact do you think it actually does have?

I think the spam clash maybe costs us 100 maximum fans. Because of the state of the economy, most fans that support both clubs that I personally know, are picking only one to watch this season, because of their financial situation. It's a sign of the times. Watch The Football League Show and see the empty seats all over the country. All lower League clubs are suffering lower attendances. On top of that Southend's prices are too high for a League Two club.

Interesting point about West Ham, attendances are what Id expect at the moment, but Id imagine it is certainly having some effect.

Could be worse, could be Col U and getting less than 3,000.

Hopefully we can climb the table and with some decent results with Eastwood and Corr getting involved a few more will come.

I think the spam clash maybe costs us 100 maximum fans. Because of the state of the economy, most fans that support both clubs that I personally know, are picking only one to watch this season, because of their financial situation. It's a sign of the times. Watch The Football League Show and see the empty seats all over the country. All lower League clubs are suffering lower attendances. On top of that Southend's prices are too high for a League Two club.

I personally think they should be around £15 but they are pretty competitive doing a quick check.

Southend £19
Gillingham £21
Burton £16
Cheltenham £20
Port Vale £21
Barnet £21
Oxford £19

I personally think they should be around £15 but they are pretty competitive doing a quick check.

Southend £19
Gillingham £21
Burton £16
Cheltenham £20
Port Vale £21
Barnet £21
Oxford £19

We're talking about the casual fan though so perhaps we can assume that they won't have booked in advance and will therefore pay £21 at SUFC.

i think tickets should be around £15 mark and then i think that will put a good 1500 on the gate for some games but all this must be sorted well in advance as the season ticket holder will be out of pocket and will also cost us season ticket holders as well, as for the westham home games i think that will only make a dent of around 200 at tops, just watch their attendances fall if they get in their new stadium, prices will be a joke then.

We do seem to charge what most do.

Personally I would say £15 is a better price to see this level of football, but I doubt that would increase our attendances.

We do seem to charge what most do.

Personally I would say £15 is a better price to see this level of football, but I doubt that would increase our attendances.
arrrrhhhhh i think it would tho, at £15 thats to good to turn down, you just look at canvey, dont they charge £12 for mickey mouse footie, even southend manor charge around £7-£8 now so im told.

All great to talk about but the fans are far from the ones that decide what is and isn't 'value for money' for football at this level. It's the agents that dictate that.

£15 a head wouldn't pay for the players we have - at the moment £19/£21 is still leaving us over £100k short every month. We'd need to increase crowds by 1,250 on current levels just to reach our current unsustainable financial position if we put ticket prices at £15. There's no guarantee we'd get anywhere near that.

As a point of reference, £15 is what Braintree are charging as a minimum for Blue Square Prem this year, and they're part time. How many of our players do you think would agree to play part time and if they did, how long would we stay in league 2?

PS this is my 1,000th post. Yay me :happy:

It would gain a few I'm sure, but would it add 30%? I doubt it.

Cant be bothered to do the maths, but if you reduce prices by 25% then you'll need X amount of extra fans to turn up to break even. Wonder how many X would be?

Unfortunately I think the only way to really get a sustained increase is by promotion.

keep adult prices as they are but should be a quid a kid across the board

At the moment you can go in the Family enclosure for £15 + £4 per kid, which is cheaper than you suggest and even thats half empty.

I think the issue of fixture clashes is a big problem for league clubs but the football league does all it can to help, take a look under the heading in bold "How does the system of 'pairings' work?" within this link, it is a bit old now but gives some idea of the problems they face.

Funnily enough the example they have used involves both our clubs.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/FLExplainedDetail/0,,10794~1356571,00.html

I have quoted the Southend bit

GT: There are a number of pairings that are fairly obvious, the likes of Sheffield Wednesday can't be at home on the same time as Sheffield United. You then start looking at those relationships from a wider angle, for example this season, when West Ham are at home it requires Dagenham & Redbridge, and where possible Leyton Orient to be away. Southend United like to be opposite West Ham because it affects their support but Southend United have to pair with Colchester United for Essex Police reasons and Colchester United have to pair with Ipswich Town due to shared stewards. Also, for police reasons Ipswich have to pair with Norwich City. In addition to this, Tottenham Hotspur also like to be opposite West Ham United in the Premier League so that brings Arsenal into the mix, which affects Barnet and for the first time this year, Gillingham have asked to be opposite Southend. That is just one example and taking it to the extremes, shows that the fixtures for eleven clubs are linked together to varying degrees.

I don't think money is really the issue.

You go into any pub or shopping area around town on a matchday and it will be buzzing.

I think people just do not see League 2 football as value for money entertainment.

They would rather get ****ed or buy a new water feature for the pond.

Kids for a quid when accompanied with a full paying adult. Maximum of 2 kids per adult.

I don't think money is really the issue.

You go into any pub or shopping area around town on a matchday and it will be buzzing.

I think people just do not see League 2 football as value for money entertainment.

They would rather get ****ed or buy a new water feature for the pond.

I'm guessing the two are often combined on occassions

Back