• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Entertainment Vs. Results

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The bit I enjoy most is when we score. The bit I dislike the most is when we concede. Football is entertaining when it looks like you are going to score, so it has to be results for me. And it's always nice to look at the tables after a scrappy 1-0 win

I prefer to see a winning team rather than one that loses regularly but plays good football. Just as important to me is knowing that the whole team put in a shift. This wasn't always the case under Sturrock. From the first match this season the work-rate was noticeably higher and together with a well organised set up tactically is the reason for the success so far.

So were the fitness levels! I've never seen a Southend team look as fit as this current squad. This will stand us in good stead in March/April when we will be all over teams like a rash.

Hmmm, is entertainment the same as enjoyment, I'm not sure. What I'm saying is that if a side produces consistent entertainment through the quality of their football, then success will normally follow. If a side does not win for 10 games then they are probably not producing entertaining football. Entertainment and results are not mutually exclusive.

Great point.

I can be entertained by watching some sublime football played by the opposition. I don't like seeing it but I can appreciate it. Case in point (and I wonder if any on here also remember this) is going back to the late 70's and we played Swansea at home on a Friday night. Swansea played in an atrocious red and green striped shirt that, under the lights, made your eyes go funny.

Anyway, Alan Curtis scored two absolute thunderbolts for them in a 2-0 win and the second had Roots Hall applauding to a man. Two of the best goals I've ever seen. Not enjoyable, but entertaining.

the germans say..."only the winners name is on the cup,not how you won it "!!!....diving, cheating, drugs ,dodgy penalty,....no wonder why they keep winning:omg: ps.. i have got a lot of german mates!!well one,have not seen him since euro 96, he has a lot of work on

Results every time, always walk away happy when we've won, regardless of how we play, hacked off big time when we lose, never walk away saying, 'never mind we lost 3 points but played well'

Yes but walking away unhappy after losing is one thing, but walking away after losing and having played cr^p is another. Leaves a buzz to come back for the next game if we played well but were unlucky to lose. But playing cr^p and losing does not encourage anyone to return.

Thought this would be an interesting discussion to revisit.

Thought at the time a lot of the views were coloured somewhat by the fact we were playing well and winning, although to be fair only 30 odd percent put entertainment over results in the poll.

How do people feel now ?

Do those that were entertained at the time of this thread still entertained now good results are a thing of the past?

Brown made a comment after Saturday that we were constantly playing facing our own goal and that we might need to play that way ourselves which to me sounds like he is looking to play more direct if need be.

Personally Id hope we can get back to winning ways by sticking to our ethics, but its beginning to look unlikely that's going to be successful, then changing isn't a guarantee of anything either.

So were the fitness levels! I've never seen a Southend team look as fit as this current squad. This will stand us in good stead in March/April when we will be all over teams like a rash.

Take that back!

Back