- Aug 13, 2008
http://mobile.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/attention-all-blues-supporters-2847145.aspx said:Attention all Blues supporters
The Leader of the Council, Ron Woodley, recently placed the attached article in Oracle; a publication that is primarily circulated to residents in Shoebury & Thorpe Bay please click here.
The proposals being advanced with British Land are the best opportunity yet for the Club to build a new stadium. Roots Hall is no longer “fit for purpose” in the modern, financially driven, world of Football. Without a new stadium the Club will always be in the lower Leagues requiring major financial investment, year on year, in order to compete.
My ambition is for Southend United Football Club to fulfil its potential…this cannot be achieved at Roots Hall.
Southend has a population of some 173,000 - Rochford and Castle Point, together 238,000 and with circa 650,000 within a 30 minute drive time. With no immediate competition on our doorstep the opportunity to grow is clear for all to see.
Phil Brown has committed to the Club as he too recognises what the Club can achieve. This is our time to put Southend United on the Football Map.
Now is a key moment in the future of Southend United and I am asking all Blues supporters to respond to the Leader of the Council by providing their views.
The benefits can be summarised under the following headings
• Roots Hall, built in 1955, is ‘no longer fit for purpose’.
• The Club needs new modern facilities to survive and thrive.
• To attract top management and players the Club has to have equivalent facilities.
• A new Stadium will put Southend on the Football Map.
• The economic and employment benefits the Town will receive from the investment are very considerable.
• The Development will keep shoppers in Southend by the provision of new and attractive Shopping and Leisure facilities.
• Nothing succeeds like success…give the Blues a chance.
This can be done by emailing: email@example.com
I thank you for your taking the time to engage with this request from The Leader of the Council and for our part the Club will keep all supporters advised of progress including when the Planning Application will be considered by Members of the Council.
Southend United Chairman
Ron must be getting desperate.
I wish someone would teach him when to use capital letters, and then maybe even how to use sentences instead of bullet points.
- We really need to put the Town and the Club on the Football Map by showing that our chairman can pass a basic grammar test.