• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Attn. M.M......priority, new keeper!

Priority new keeper???

Really?

For me that is position 3 in the list of MUST haves, and is more accurately a possibly ought to try and get.

First priority is a centre forward, a threat, a nuisance, a b'stard, a goal scorer.

We can get 3 gks in but if we don't score we won't win.

The 2nd on my list is a Macca who can play 2 games a week for the season.

Few, if any, of the current squad are on my radar for "binning" but some are not ready and need nurture and time, slowly feeding them in or minutes from the bench rather than in the starting 11 mix.

We are just too lightweight in every sense. Expecting loan signings from the rarified world of Premier league under 23s to quickly adapt to the hurly burly of L2 is unrealistic, similarly the step up from non league in numbers like we have is asking too much, especially with a novice manager at this level. Oxley is the least of our problems. Even the most experienced members of yesterday's line up hardly know or remember what it's like to be in a winning team and that must take its toll.

I played in that position for many years, not at pro level but I have always focused of keepers movement. Oxley is poor in many departments, I always thought Ted Smith was the better positional keeper, but alas injuries and confidence were his issues.
It’s a position we have been blessed in since the 60’s, I’m afraid he’s just not very good, but you could say that about so many in the team.

A bit like the dumb decision to challenge their guy in the box, who was going nowhere?

Really not sure how Oxley is getting blame!
Fully agree with the stupid challenge, but this thread is about Oxley, if he had have saved that it could have given the players the kick up the arse they needed to push on a bit

Hate to say this and the world might end up imploding so you know who to blame BUT....

wiggy for me has this right, yes we can blame the stupid challenge and rightly should and yes it’s hard to blame a keeper for not saving a penalty but watch it back and then think would many other keepers in our league or who we have had in the past be so lack lustre with that?
Don’t forget IF that penalty is saved that could have been the wake up call the players needed getting our fingers burnt and a good captain and keeper should rally the players over that potential save!

I’m not wishing to just blame Oxley for the fun of it far from it but his performances lack total confidence, I understand we have to focus on the rest of the pitch but we have let goals in this season that we should not have with a more confident steady keeper in goal, this is key especially when goal difference is going to mean a hell of a lot I fear this season

Everyone’s talking about the penalty yesterday but what about the fact we would have maybe won against Exeter if he hadn’t have kicked it straight to their player?

Everyone’s talking about the penalty yesterday but what about the fact we would have maybe won against Exeter if he hadn’t have kicked it straight to their player?

Equally v Exeter, what if Demetriou had put the ball straight back down there throats from a cleared corner. In stead of keeping the pressure on with both his CB's still deep in their half he does that modern and very annoying 40 yd pass back to the keeper. Yes it another pass completed by JD for his stats but we were 1-0 up for the first time.

The ironic thing was their 2nd goal came from someone launching it into out box from the same area JD passed back from. Two players in the same place but completely different outcomes because in football you can create luck or cost you team goals with game management.

Ridiculous post, can’t blame a keeper for not saving a penalty. Keepers always get way too much stick IMHO. Although I would say that as may son plays on goal!!

Reason we are ****e is we have no experience in the team and not enough quality.

Ridiculous post, can’t blame a keeper for not saving a penalty. Keepers always get way too much stick IMHO. Although I would say that as may son plays on goal!!

Reason we are ****e is we have no experience in the team and not enough quality.

Having finally watched the penalty again a couple of times last night, its not as bad many are claiming.

Not like it was firm and a foot or two off the ground. It was bobbling along the ground. It was so badly struck it became more difficult to save, as all his weight was still moving. Would be interesting from a goal cam if they still have one?

Normally I would agree but when the penalty is not struck with any real power and as the keeper you have guessed the direction for me it turns from a lottery to a question of skill and in this instance he was lacking

Having finally watched the penalty again a couple of times last night, its not as bad many are claiming.

Not like it was firm and a foot or two off the ground. It was bobbling along the ground. It was so badly struck it became more difficult to save, as all his weight was still moving. Would be interesting from a goal cam if they still have one?
Yes goal cam would have proved useful here not just for fans but so oxley can learn from it to help improve his game

There is a sort of unwritten law that you never blame a keeper for not saving a penalty.

However...

On Saturday watching the game I saw a dreadful penalty taken with no power and our keeper - who has of course saved penalties before - went the right way. For a split second I've thought "Yes! He's sa... Oh."

It was the sort of "save" you would try to make as a Dad playing in your garden with your 5 year old.

So, if it was shot from 12 yards in open play, that would possibly make the Keeper's Blooper DVD at Christmas. Add that to the 4th Harrogate goal on opening day and our goalie is NOT having the best of times.

Having had the composure to not dive too early and go the wrong way, he absolutely should have stopped that. It was a rubbish penalty. Cheltenham must be laughing.

So I do blame him for that one.

Asides from the penalty argument his distribution has been awful. We can't keep giving the ball away.

Back