• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Attn. M.M......priority, new keeper!

Apart from Oxley, the majority of last season's senior players have now gone. The exceptions are Demi (old and generally injured), JW (old and generally injured), Ralph (just returned from injury), Lennon (generally injured) and Dieng (generally injured).

Tells you all you need to know about how the football world rates Oxley.

There is a sort of unwritten law that you never blame a keeper for not saving a penalty.

However...

On Saturday watching the game I saw a dreadful penalty taken with no power and our keeper - who has of course saved penalties before - went the right way. For a split second I've thought "Yes! He's sa... Oh."

It was the sort of "save" you would try to make as a Dad playing in your garden with your 5 year old.

So, if it was shot from 12 yards in open play, that would possibly make the Keeper's Blooper DVD at Christmas. Add that to the 4th Harrogate goal on opening day and our goalie is NOT having the best of times.

Having had the composure to not dive too early and go the wrong way, he absolutely should have stopped that. It was a rubbish penalty. Cheltenham must be laughing.

So I do blame him for that one.

Sometimes the mis-hit shots are harder to save : it's the flip side to "if anything he hit it too well".

A foot or two to his left and it's an easy save, a foot higher and it's an easy catch, a foot or two to his right and he blocks it with his legs.

having re-watched it I'd suggest it was more unlucky from Oxley than anything for the pen, if the taker had got a bit more on it he would have saved it, in fact if Oxley went the other way this thread wouldn't exist, the fact he got something on it without saving it is just one of those things.

Compare it to Goodship, he had a chance in the middle of the goals and scuffed his shot making it easy for their keeper to save, if the keeper had already started to move it would have gone down as a good goal, as it is he mis-hit and we didn't equalise.

Sometimes the mis-hit shots are harder to save : it's the flip side to "if anything he hit it too well".

A foot or two to his left and it's an easy save, a foot higher and it's an easy catch, a foot or two to his right and he blocks it with his legs.
And of course Oxley wouldn’t have achieved an og at Wembley in 2015.

having re-watched it I'd suggest it was more unlucky from Oxley than anything for the pen, if the taker had got a bit more on it he would have saved it, in fact if Oxley went the other way this thread wouldn't exist, the fact he got something on it without saving it is just one of those things.

Compare it to Goodship, he had a chance in the middle of the goals and scuffed his shot making it easy for their keeper to save, if the keeper had already started to move it would have gone down as a good goal, as it is he mis-hit and we didn't equalise.
This thread might still exist because he makes a critical mistake nearly every game, couple this up with the fact he NEVER comes off his line for crosses, therefore putting us under pressure with every cross into our 6 yard box. Obviously by now our opposition realise it's a weakness and make the most of it.

If Oxley had saved it with his feet, where was the ball going?....Softly back for an easy follow up would be my guess. It never had enough pace to rebound off safely anywhere.

Don't give an over fussy ref the option of a cheap penalty is the real learning point. If you do, then get a bit wise as a team.

That was our weakest area as a team on Saturday. Some teams make the ref their 12th man, as Cheltenham did on Saturday. We did the opposite so it was more like 10 v 12.......Warning signs were their the week before when Emile was hacked down for a yellow and no one said a word.

If Oxley had saved it with his feet, where was the ball going?....Softly back for an easy follow up would be my guess. It never had enough pace to rebound off safely anywhere.

Don't give an over fussy ref the option of a cheap penalty is the real learning point. If you do, then get a bit wise as a team.

That was our weakest area as a team on Saturday. Some teams make the ref their 12th man, as Cheltenham did on Saturday. We did the opposite so it was more like 10 v 12.......Warning signs were their the week before when Emile was hacked down for a yellow and no one said a word.

The topic of this post was more about us starting on minus one goal every week because of Oxley, rather than the dolly drop of a penalty a five year old could save.
As I said a keeper is employed to do a job and 99% of them go weeks and weeks before making a mistake that should be bread and butter for a bloke in training every day with a football. The Ox does make some decent saves to be fair but it’s the gifts that he manages to present to our opposition that need rectifying with a new, professional goalkeeper. Nothing has changed from when he came here from Scotland, they were saying the same which was strange for Phil Brown to bring him here in the first place. Federici won us games , Oxley loses us games by not being consistent for the full 90 minutes. True , he’s got a lot of crap in front of him but with his experience the least we should be asking for is a mistake free game for once!

The topic of this post was more about us starting on minus one goal every week because of Oxley, rather than the dolly drop of a penalty a five year old could save.
As I said a keeper is employed to do a job and 99% of them go weeks and weeks before making a mistake that should be bread and butter for a bloke in training every day with a football. The Ox does make some decent saves to be fair but it’s the gifts that he manages to present to our opposition that need rectifying with a new, professional goalkeeper. Nothing has changed from when he came here from Scotland, they were saying the same which was strange for Phil Brown to bring him here in the first place. Federici won us games , Oxley loses us games by not being consistent for the full 90 minutes. True , he’s got a lot of crap in front of him but with his experience the least we should be asking for is a mistake free game for once!

The clue is in the title of your own thread. Replacing Oxley is not the priority. Its probably not in the top 20 as we speak.

Some People on here have short memories. The Guy was Player of the Year a few Seasons ago and most on here and Twitter were over the moon when he turned down a move and stayed.
I'm not saying he is not beyond blame because he is not, however putting him up there with the god awful Prudhoe, and Emberson ect is rubbish as they were awful for us.

I think Ox is a confident Keeper similar to how Paul Smith was for us. I remember when we signed Ox and I thought he was god awful and I had no faith in him. However in time he turned into a good keeper and his performances improved with confidence which led to his Player of the Year awards.

To sum up yes he has his faults but there are far more positions that we need to improve on and just feel that he is made an unjustified scapegoat by the Fans.

Not saving a penalty isn’t a mistake.

It depends how you manage to 'not save' it. ?
He dived expecting a stronger penalty. Unless you expect him to have seen into the future and known the penalty would be so slow, I’m not really sure how you can blame him for it. But I suppose Oxley is one of the go to scapegoats and people will find a way to criticise him at any given opportunity.

He dived expecting a stronger penalty. Unless you expect him to have seen into the future and known the penalty would be so slow, I’m not really sure how you can blame him for it. But I suppose Oxley is one of the go to scapegoats and people will find a way to criticise him at any given opportunity.
Did not Bishop replace Oxley for some games last season? Were we noticeably better in the games Bishop played?
My memory is we were not, but, others may have a different view.

Did not Bishop replace Oxley for some games last season? Were we noticeably better in the games Bishop played?
My memory is we were not, but, others may have a different view.
No...we were no better as Bishop is on a par with Oxley, both non League!

No...we were no better as Bishop is on a par with Oxley, both non League!
A totally pointless comparison at this time.
As most people with an understanding of the game can recognise ( unless they’re scapegoating because someone earns quite a lot or doesn’t come from this area) Oxley is a highly accomplished goalkeeper at this and the higher level who saves us countless goals from behind a very weak defence.Young Bishop shows promise but should never have been tried at his age,certainly not when Ox was fully fit- think Doncaster demonstrably,Dover expensively.Bish might well make the grade,but not for a very long while yet.

A totally pointless comparison at this time.
As most people with an understanding of the game can recognise ( unless they’re scapegoating because someone earns quite a lot or doesn’t come from this area) Oxley is a highly accomplished goalkeeper at this and the higher level who saves us countless goals from behind a very weak defence.Young Bishop shows promise but should never have been tried at his age,certainly not when Ox was fully fit- think Doncaster demonstrably,Dover expensively.Bish might well make the grade,but not for a very long while yet.

Come on Paul, Oxley isn't an ex Baggie.

Anyway, can you explain why, if Oxley is so highly accomplished at this and the higher level, no-one has taken him off our hands?

Oh and you should probably correct the typo - you wrote 'saves' instead of 'costs'.

Zeus raises a valid, imo, and correct point.
How to judge a gk when he has such an unknown and unknowing defence infront of him?
As in other areas over the whole outfield we have no players likely to challenge the FL Div 2 player of the season for any position, this season or indeed any given week.

Come on Paul, Oxley isn't an ex Baggie.

Anyway, can you explain why, if Oxley is so highly accomplished at this and the higher level, no-one has taken him off our hands?

Oh and you should probably correct the typo - you wrote 'saves' instead of 'costs'.

That's an easy one to answer: wages. Clubs at this level and the one above don't want to take on a pre-covid contract. When his contract expires I think he'll find a club but it'll be on reduced wages.

That's an easy one to answer: wages. Clubs at this level and the one above don't want to take on a pre-covid contract. When his contract expires I think he'll find a club but it'll be on reduced wages.

Oxley given another goal away already.

Fair play to him, he doesn’t hang about.

Oxley given another goal away already.

Fair play to him, he doesn’t hang about.
least of our problems- not sure why he is being torn apart on this thread when there are 10 outfield players more worthy of criticism. He is not perfect but good enough for this level.

Back