• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

August 1980

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
1980-81 what a wonderful season forget the doom and gloom whats your memories of August 1980?

1 Sat 9-Aug Oxford Utd H LC1/1 1 0
Pountney 3,032

2 Wed 13-Aug Oxford Utd A LC1/2 0 2

3 Sat 16-Aug Bury A D4 2 1
Mercer Hull 2,647

4 Mon 18-Aug Port Vale H D4 5 1
Gray(2) Spence(2) Hadley 3,948

5 Fri 22-Aug Tranmere Rovers H D4 2 0
Mercer Mungall(og) 4,600

September 1980 to follow later.

DoDtS

Last edited:
What doom and gloom? My memories of August 1980 are, to say the least, sketchy as I was being 9. :D

No I meant today's doom and gloom, i.e credit crunch, Harding being sent off, Crickos lost his bus pass, etc.

Lets harp bang to a really good season and enjoy the memories.

DoDts

Was the Port Vale match where all the goals were scored in the first half ?? Or was that vs Halifax a few weeks later ??

I was only 10 and the old grey matter isn't what it used to be :'(

Little did we know that after the Port Vale game we would not see the opposition trouble the scoreboard at Roots Hall until the last game in November....

We didn't look bad , but I don't remember thinking the season was going to turn out the way it did

I tell the very best thing about season 1980/1, and that was the white shirt with blue sleeves. How I wish TOFFS or someone else would produce a replica. I'd be there like a shot.

good idea for a thread DoDtS
80-81 was the last season I was living in the area for the whole season :(
I remember the Port Vale game very well as we scored all five in the first half - possibly even in the first half an hour.
I think I would have been at the Tranmere game too though I can't remember anything about it.
It was around that time crowds were starting to fall dramatically around the country.
I think ours were around the 5k mark much of the time even though we had a fantastic season. Though I do remember a 10k crowd for the last match against Rochdale when we clinched the title.

Last edited:
What doom and gloom? My memories of August 1980 are, to say the least, sketchy as I was being 49. :D

Edited for accuracy ;)

P.S - I really admire the efforts you're making, with regards staying up a few hours past your bedtime to spin some tunes for the SZ Indie bash thingy - No doubt Horlicks will be on tap that night, and the old '45 will be brought back to life. Top work son. :D

good idea for a thread DoDtS
80-81 was the last season I was living in the area for the whole season :(
I remember the Port Vale game very well as we scored all five in the first half - possibly even in the first half an hour.
I think I would have been at the Tranmere game too though I can't remember anything about it.
It was around that time crowds were starting to fall dramatically around the country.
I think ours were around the 5k mark much of the time even though we had a fantastic season. Though I do remember a 10k crowd for the last match against Rochdale when we clinched the title.

IIRC Port Vale scored first via the wonderfully named Neville (Peace in our time) Chamberlain, and as Firestorm said we did not concede another goal at home until November. Our home record that season was 19-4-0. Great memories.

IIRC Port Vale scored first via the wonderfully named Neville (Peace in our time) Chamberlain, .

your memory is better than mine (!) though I think he was the brother of Mark who played for England in the famous win in Brazil with the John Barnes solo goal

My memories are as worthless as an old peoples home to a peodo (unsure on spelling) as i was born 11 years later!

i remember this was the first season i had the replica shirt bought from a shop iirc run by peter taylor in hamlet court road. i wore that every week at football training in benfleet which was awash with west spam fans.

with the success meant we featured on football focus and in roy of the rovers a couple of times that season.

Missed the first 2 games of that season as at the time I was a young naive 18 year old and was expierencing my first club 18-30 holiday.
Wished I had gone to the bloomin football though!

Back