• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Australia captain Mark Milligan signs - and home kit sponsored by Shrimperzone

This is in complete contrast to what you posted earlier:

"With a qualifying group in the World Cup that includes Kuwait, Nepal and Jordan they should have no trouble maintaing a top 50 ranking"

which quite clearly shows you believed the current group Australia was in was the last stage in order to qualify for the World Cup.

You claimed this "should facilitate qualification to the finals by quite an easy route" and concluded that because Australia had such an easy path they should be permanently in the top 50 of the FIFA rankings and therefore Australian players that are fixtures in the national team should have no issues getting work permits and citing other Australian players playing in Europe.

A lot of Australian players in Europe are playing outside the UK and those countries have less stringent requirements to obtain work permits to play football. Also, quite a few Australian players are dual nationals via their parents or grand parents so have EU passports which means they avoid the top 50 nation requirement to play in the UK. For example, Aaron Mooy, now at Brighton, has a Dutch passport.

I have no illusion about Milligan's ability, I don't think anyone thinks he is a world beater. He is a dedicated and hard-working player from the years I have watched him play for and captain Melbourne Victory.

I think he can be a very good player for Southend in League One given the chance to play in a role that suits him in a team that is far more organised than our team is at present.

I don't think past work permit issues or the fact he came to Southend from the Scottish league is a legitimate reason to question his ability.
Good post, very interesting.

Personally I think it's ridiculous that someone from another commonwealth country has to apply for a work permit, should be free movement between the countries.

Personally I think it's ridiculous that someone from another commonwealth country has to apply for a work permit, should be free movement between the countries.

You're right. we need some kind of union, that allows free movement and possibly free trade.

I wonder why Milligan,

A lot better than Southend United, that's for sure.

The fact is Milligan, Ralph, Shaugnessy and Hamilton were better in their first few games than their last.

They have found out the hard way, we don't like new boys at Southend and now the Bond excuse has been used up we will turn on them.

Even when Theo, like many a Southend forward before him, goes and scores at other clubs we dismiss them along with Hibs, Australia and everyone else.

Some of you should look at the all time league table over 100 years. You would be surprised who is above us. It turns out we aren't good enough for a lot of the players we have had.

Right now we are a club heavily in debt with a valuable home ground. It has planning permission for 500 homes that take the pressure off of a council with no land.

The only problem is they haven't given us permission for a new stadium. So that leaves us in a vulnerable position. We are just a few and brown envelopes away from......."You were going to build a hotel and flats at FF anyway.....It would work for all of us if FF become all residential."......."With a Sainsburys local of course, after all is was their idea in the first place."......" Solves the Seaway conflict of interest and keeps the high street mafia off our backs"......"Come on Ron you have tried your best. I have a friend in the building game if you need to unload FF fast You can walk away debt free and very wealthy"

Mods i would think any Councillor reading this, may have an issue with brown envelopes comment

Let's not get into whether someone from Nigeria or Pakistan should need a work permit for the UK.

That's getting far too political.

Mods i would think any Councillor reading this, may have an issue with brown envelopes comment

I council people and I don't have an issue. Nor have I accused individuals or named them. Or do you mean the word Brown is offensive......How about an envelope of colour, a rainbow envelope even.

Perhaps some Austrailians MAY have an issue with your post. Then again Aussies I know wouldn't be flakey enough to whinge about it.

Last edited:
CP just twitted not in the Aussie team for today's game.Pray he is not rushing back to be unveiled as our new manager on Thursday!!!!

Back