• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Australia captain Mark Milligan signs - and home kit sponsored by Shrimperzone

This signing makes a lot of sense. It's not born out ifs and whens or potential. It immediately makes us better equipped than last season. Well done Kevin 'Kev' Bond

That old chestnut again, I suggest you look at how many times he has played and kept his place over the last few seasons.

Yes, which if anything, further highlights my point.

Which was; On paper, with our strongest available team, he wouldn’t play a lot of games. The fact that he’s readily available, versatile & costs very little, makes him a valuable member of our squad, as proved by his service over the years

I think we only signed him so he can watch England beat the Aussies in the ashes, and maybe get to some games!

Seriously tho, well I reckon he's a great signing (I've) said that before, lets give him 5 mins on the field, till we start moaning about him not scoring a hat -trick in his first game! And with those kangaroos legs.........................well say no more, who's going to beat him in the air! Yeah I know I'm not even a little bit funny.

Pleased with (and a bit surprised by) this signing.

Having seen him play over here with Melbourne Victory for a few seasons I think he'll be a good player for us. I don't recall him having any major injury issues in the past which is a step up from the majority of our recent signings.

He has always wanted to play in Europe but has had issues getting a work permit in the UK. I think he was going to sign with a Championship team a few years back but it fell through due to work permit being denied. Hopefully the work permit issue does not scuttle another of his attempts to play in England.

He has always wanted to play in Europe but has had issues getting a work permit in the UK. I think he was going to sign with a Championship team a few years back but it fell through due to work permit being denied. Hopefully the work permit issue does not scuttle another of his attempts to play in England.

Oh oh, stumbling block....anyone have an idea if and when this will be resolved?

I would assume that the long term nature to the signing is to help round some of the potential stumbling blocks in obtaining a work permit.

Yes, which if anything, further highlights my point.

Which was; On paper, with our strongest available team, he wouldn’t play a lot of games. The fact that he’s readily available, versatile & costs very little, makes him a valuable member of our squad, as proved by his service over the years
Wrong, there have been plenty of occasions when he has kept his place when injured players have regained fitness.

Last edited:
Pleased with (and a bit surprised by) this signing.

Having seen him play over here with Melbourne Victory for a few seasons I think he'll be a good player for us. I don't recall him having any major injury issues in the past which is a step up from the majority of our recent signings.

Well Scotland is the UK and in Europe so there's no way he would get one for Scotland and not England, makes no sense.

For sure, I have full confidence that the club are aware of it.

How they plan on dealing with it, is where I get concerned

@GBJ, I'm hearing that the Club can get a work permit via Southend Council and that they have already submitted an application accordingly. Milligan is allowed to play for Southend whilst the application is being considered by the Council before being forwarded to DWP.
Currently it is expected that the application will be put before the full council meeting in January 2021 as it will take them some time to gather further information.

Can’t remember the details exactly, but sure this was all sorted when he signed for Hibs (% of internationals played in a certain period) so assume he’s all good.

Maybe the international clearance is for the change from Scottish FA to English FA ?

The work permit would not be effected as its a UK work permit , however there will need to be an application made to UK border control to transfer it

Wrong, there have been plenty of occasions when he has kept his place when injured players have regained fitness.

I’m not sure what’s going on here, you do realise that I’m in support of White getting a contract extension, right?

Let’s not kid ourselves, White hasn’t been, and won’t be better than our first choice defence on paper. That’s just factual.

I think this clearly shows the club "No deal" Brexit strategy.

And I think this is a cracking signing. Skipper for sure, a proper leader, can pass, tackle and shoot from range and how long have we needed someone like that!

I’m not sure what’s going on here, you do realise that I’m in support of White getting a contract extension, right?

Let’s not kid ourselves, White hasn’t been, and won’t be better than our first choice defence on paper. That’s just factual.

I think the point is people day it’s a fact but successive managers then keep him in the side when everyone is fit. As has been repeatedly pointed out to no affect every season he starts the season labelled as a “backup” or “squad” player and then proceeds to play most games and retain his place- no doubt this is considered an alternative fact :-)

A
I think this clearly shows the club "No deal" Brexit strategy.

And I think this is a cracking signing. Skipper for sure, a proper leader, can pass, tackle and shoot from range and how long have we needed someone like that!

And with no history of injury problems as far as I understand hence much less concerned regarding his age.

Back