• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Australia vs Indonesia

Ron Manager

formerly Libertine
Went to this match last night, along with about 20,000 others at Suncorp Stadium. It was the final qualifier for the Asian Championships and Australia needed a draw to qualify, they won 1-0.

A scrappy game to be honest, like when England play someone like Lichtenstein or San Marino and face 11 men behind the ball trying to keep the score respectable. The Aussie's did the job they needed to do without being spectacular. However the team last night was very different to one England could face in the 2nd round in South Africa. None of the European based players were there and this was a bit like England having to pick a team of players from outside the Premiership. So a decent result when put into perspective like that.

One true shining light was the debut of Tommy Oar, the 18 year old Brisbane winger. He's the sort of player who goes looking for the ball, has the pace and ability to take players on and can cross or cut inside and have a shot. Very early days and not great opposition but I think he's got the potential to be a big star.

He's off for a trial with a couple of clubs in Holland to maybe get a loan deal as our season has finished, with a view to getting some games and a shot at being in the World Cup squad. In all honesty, and I know it's a long shot, but if that doesn't work out Southend could do worse then get him in for a look. He'd be cheap and really would be a great addition to the squad till the end of the season. I think he'd be one of those players where Southend fans would look back in pride in a few years time and say "he played for us".

Last edited:
It's all well and good mate but i just don't get it when people say 'we could do worse than getting him in for a look'. It wouldnt happen so whats the point in saying it.

It's all well and good mate but i just don't get it when people say 'we could do worse than getting him in for a look'. It wouldnt happen so whats the point in saying it.

It's a long shot, however he's over in Europe for training soon. He's raw and very young, the top Dutch clubs may say 'not quite yet'. He needs games if he's going to be in the World Cup squad, otherwise he's not playing competitively till August. What's to say we couldn't be a bit creative with our thinking, get hold of his agent and invite him to train with us for a few days and see if we like what we see? He will be cheap (wages in the A-League are small apart from the big 'marquee' signings) and willing to play if given the opportunity.

It probably won't happen, but how do we know if we don't give it a go?

Back