• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Australia
r263948_1101530.jpg

Manager: Pim Verbeek
Captain: Lucas Neill
FIFA Ranking: 20
Group D

Background: The Socceroos head to South Africa for their third World Cup, after failing to progress past the group stage in 1974 but returning 32 years later in Germany last time round. Thanks to a 3-1 victory over Japan, despite having to come back from 0-1 down, the Australians secured qualification to the first knockout round of the World Cup finals for the very first time, however, the Yellows were unlucky to face eventual victors Italy, who only just scraped through thanks to a late, late Francesco Totti penalty.

Qualification: A strong qualifying campaign in a complicated system saw Australia top both of their groups; fending off the likes of Japan, China and Iraq, losing just once in fourteen games, a 1-0 defeat to China. The Australians conceded just four goals and proved a force to be reckoned with in Asian and Oceanian football. Although they proved strong enough to qualify, the Australians scored just twelve in qualification, with most of their wins being, albeit convincing, 1-0 victories.

The Team
Strengths: The Socceroos kept ten clean sheets in qualifying, conceding only one per game in the other four games. This defensive record is in no part thanks to the experience of the backline, including Mark Schwarzer in goal, Lucas Neill and Craig Moore at centre-back make a combined age of 103 and three World Cups between them, and a solid defensive line. Two holding midfielders in Jason Culina and Vinnie Grella also help to keep a tight back line.
Weaknesses: Placed in a weak group, playing the likes of Qatar, Bahrain and Uzbekistan, the Australian managed to score just twelve goals in fourteen games. Middlesborough striker Scott McDonald has got fifteen caps and no international goals to his name and first choice striker Josh Kennedy has scored just six in eighteen and now plays in Japan, he is also better suited to coming on as an impact sub; something Australia lack with him in the starting XI.
The Manager: Pim Verbeek is currently in his thirteenth job in 30 years, and South Africa will be his third consecutive World Cup finals after going to 2002 as South Korea's assistant manager and returning with Dick Advocaat in 2006. When he was appointed in December 2007 the decision was questioned by fans and the media alike but he has since silenced such criticisms and is now actually quite popular and a good World Cup campaign could only help the Dutchman.

Star Men: Tommy Oar (Brisbane Roar/FC Utrecht)
18 year old left winger, who will complete a transfer from Australian side Brisbane Roar to Dutch side FC Utrecht. Hailed as a future superstar by many, the quick left winger has bags of pace and skill, which are more likely to come out on show as a sub in South Africa. He currently holds just one cap but he has a record of good second appearances, scoring a 91st minute, match winning free-kick for Brisbane Roar in his second game and Australian fans will hope for similar displays of skill in South Africa.
Tim Cahill (Everton)
The attacking Everton central midfielder was Australia's first ever World Cup goalscorer in 2006 and remains their strongest attacking threat. A good headerer of the ball with plenty of skill and good dribbling abilities, the Australian, who could have qualified to play for England, is one of Australia's most consistent players and is also one of the most popular. The only question over his World Cup will be whether Verbeek attempts to use him as a striker, where he is less effective, as he has in recent times.

manor15's Prediction
Group Stages. While many expect Ghana and Serbia to be dark horses this summer, the Australians have the skill, power and experience to put up a fight, although their lack of goals could prove their downfall, particularly against the likes of Serbia. It's unlikely that the Aussies will let many in but could struggle against quicker, more skillful strikers, such as Klose, Zigic and the rest although the Australians also have enough ability alongside the experience on the big stage from the likes of Cahill, Schwarzer, Kewell and Neill to get out of the group should things go their way.

Last edited:
Pretty decent summary. Just a few points -

- Pim Verbeek hasn't really silenced the critics. There are still plenty of Aussie fans who don't like the style of play under him, the defensive nature of their play and the fact he sticks with playing just one up front. There are many who will be glad to see the back of him after the World Cup. Personally I think they're mad and that he's done a fantastic job with the resources at his disposal, but no accounting for what passionate football fans think about their team and manager I suppose.

- You're right to point out the strengths of letting in few goals. I suspect however that aging backline will be far more tested in their World Cup group than they were by anyone in qualifying. Craig Moore in particular has just gone rapidly downwhill since leaving Brisbane Roar and was recently training with local semi-pro, state league team Brisbane Strikers to keep fit. That's a bit like having Rio Ferdinand training with Great Wakering in preparation for the World Cup.

- One of those people championing Tommy Oar as a future superstar has been me. He's very young and very raw but if he fufills his potential he'll be a household name. I was at that game when he scored a 91st minute winner and it was a scorcher. One of those youngsters where you can look back in a few years time and say "I saw him when he first came through the ranks" and be really proud of him. However there are strong indications that he won't make the final squad of 23, instead will just train with the squad for experience - something that's largely been put down to Pim's negative and risk free approach to the game (as mentioned above).

I really hope Australia do well for the game in this country, we are in the midst of 'footy' season over here (ie League and AFL) yet with a World Cup round the corner the Socceroos are getting equal billing. If they get some results in South Africa they'll then become headline news over and above those sports - which believe me is astonishing in this country.

I just don't think they're good enough, and can see them leave South Africa with maybe just a single point to their name. Not that they're a bad team as such, just that they are in a very strong group. Out of them, Germany, Serbia and Ghana they are the weakest of a good bunch.

Last edited:
One Australian commentator has recently said that he believes they can make it into the last 16 were they could face England and he thinks they would rise to the challenge and beat the English.
Ambitious but as Ron Manager says, they'll be lucky to get out of a tough group.

One Australian commentator has recently said that he believes they can make it into the last 16 were they could face England and he thinks they would rise to the challenge and beat the English.
Ambitious but as Ron Manager says, they'll be lucky to get out of a tough group.

There are 'sports' commentators who are bigging up Aussie's chances but with a very limited knowledge of the game itself. I think the 'football' media are a bit more realistic.

The possible match against England in the last 16 is very much on many people's minds though. If I hear someone mention the match at Upton Park one more time.....:madman:

Back