• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Australian Open - Murray's first Slam?

Pubey

Andy Murray begins his Australian Open campaign in a few minutes against Andrei Pavel. I personally think that Murray has an excellent chance of winning a Slam this year, and if it were to happen it would either be in the Australian Open or the US Open.

He might be Scottish, and a bit grumpy... but he is a thrilling tennis player to watch, and currently the most in form.

Come on Murray!

If he wins he's British, not Scottish!!

Got an easy 1st round victory with opponent retiring hurt. Good job as it's very hot down there in Melbourne

Also, well done Elena Baltacha. The only British female into the second round. The others had pretty bad draws, but it's still an achievement for her to beat someone ranked 63 places higher than her.

Also, well done Elena Baltacha. The only British female into the second round. The others had pretty bad draws, but it's still an achievement for her to beat someone ranked 63 places higher than her.

yep good effort.

Shame Murray didn't get a little bit more time on the court last night, as he never really needed to move out of 1st gear.

yep good effort.

Shame Murray didn't get a little bit more time on the court last night, as he never really needed to move out of 1st gear.

Indeed, although it doesn't hurt to conserve energy in the first week. It's not as good, but at least he'll get some practice time. Also, his form is so good at the moment i'm not sure he needs that much court time...

Indeed, although it doesn't hurt to conserve energy in the first week. It's not as good, but at least he'll get some practice time. Also, his form is so good at the moment i'm not sure he needs that much court time...

yep I think it doesn't really matter either way. Playing one extra set I doubt will affect his 2nd week performance, although in that heat it's probably best to finish up as quick as possible.

Not a lot to report from early rounds so far really.

Looks like Gonzalez had a pretty tough time against Hewitt. Shame Keothavong had such a difficult first round, too. I think Keothavong's game is better suited to going further in the trounament than Baltacha due to mobility but good luck to her.

Best match of the tournament that I've seen was the Santoro Kohlschreiber match today. Kohlschreiber must have hit twice as many winners of Santoro but couldn't break his spirit in spite of a blitz on Santoro's serve at the end of the 4th set to try and break back.

Really impressive gritty tennis. A lot of players could learn a lot from that sort of performance.

Murray's second up on Rod Laver so you're looking at pretty much the worst time for viewing!

Can someone please confirm whether or not Jelena Dokic is hot? I'm pretty sure she used to havea fairly grotesque mole which has now been removed but she still has a bit of an interrogative glare. There's just something about her. Can someone correct/conform? Thanks.

Also might be worth retitling this thread as the Australian Open thread.

I can confirm that Jelena Dokic is most definitely not hot, although she did win late last night and the locals have taken her to heart.

Probably helps that her old man isn't going round beating up officials!

absolutely stunning drop-shot by Baltacha to win the first set against Mauresmo 6-4

I can confirm that Jelena Dokic is most definitely not hot, although she did win late last night and the locals have taken her to heart.

Probably helps that her old man isn't going round beating up officials!

Thanks for clarifying.

If her old man isn't up to much does this mean we won't be getting misplaced race riots this year? She's not the worst looking bet I've seen at about 150 for the tournament although does seem to be a little unfit.

Murray will be on shortly apparently. I really need to get my timings right.

By the way, looks like Murray won't be on any time soon. Williams likely to lose the second set as long as the other girl doesn't lose her arse.

One set all

It has got to the stage with Murray now, that we should only have real discussion points in the second week of Grand Slams, not the first!

Definitely, it's a real mark of the development of his game. Only saw the first two sets today but he probably played his best tennis in about three games in the first two sets and got the breaks to take him through. GRanollers didn't play that badly (other than a few bad misses) but Murray kept himself cruising.

Next round might be 4 or 5 sets but the quarters are where we should really expect him to get more challenged.

Back