• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
The Lady Australian Prime Minister decided to open up a hornets nest.I actually think she makes some fair points.

"It took a lot of courage for this woman to speak what she had to say for the world to hear. The retribution could be phenomenal, but at least she was willing to take a stand on her and Australia 's beliefs.

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks..

Separately, Gillard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying she supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote:
'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT.. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians. '

'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'

'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!'

'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'

'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.' 'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'"

If only anyone in the UK had the balls to make a similar stand, this sums it up entirely and as I've said before, applies equally to Brits going to live in other countries - if you choose to live in a foreign country then you have to embrace their lifestyle and respect their cultures and traditions. If, for instance, you want to celebrate your own culture's religious festivals then that is fine but do it discretely and without offending others. It's high time countries such as ours stop being apologists for everything that is within our heritage. Acceptance works both ways, immigrants in whatever country have to learn to adapt their lifestyles to fit in with their new home country's.

Shame the Aborigines didn't take the same approach when white Europeans invaded and destroyed 10,000 years of history and killed 95% of them, and then didn't even consider them human until the late 1960's.

Australians being racist. Nothing new there.

From what I gather from my girlfriend and her family and from when I was over there, Gillard isn't particularly popular over there at all.

Although I generally disagree with MK's views on things like this I do tend to agree slightly. The aborigines are generally very unpopular and discriminated against and stereotyped against. The aussies are also happy to let the people from local asian countries to do all the horrible jobs that they don't like.
Although when it comes down to it I do agree with her point in theory and think someone should stand up and say something similar here.

From what I gather from my girlfriend and her family and from when I was over there, Gillard isn't particularly popular over there at all.

Although I generally disagree with MK's views on things like this I do tend to agree slightly. The aborigines are generally very unpopular and discriminated against and stereotyped against. The aussies are also happy to let the people from local asian countries to do all the horrible jobs that they don't like.
Although when it comes down to it I do agree with her point in theory and think someone should stand up and say something similar here.

She is with the miners/mining industry, though...

If, for instance, you want to celebrate your own culture's religious festivals then that is fine but do it discretely and without offending others.
1. Why should they do it discretely?
2. Why would you be offended by religious festivals?

1. Out of respect for the local customs and traditions, a white British family living in a Muslim country is hardly going to go putting out a St George's cross on 23rd April or displaying a Palm Cross on Easter Sunday are they?
2. I wouldn't personally, but many people are because of the religious fanaticism that accompanies them in many cases.

It is simply respect that is lacking in many cases. People of different faiths and backgrounds can live together harmoniously but there has to be proper integration, and there really isn't enough done to ensure this happens.

She hasn't said this at all.

The same e-mail was previously circulated attributing those comments to Kevin Rudd and before that John Howard.

She hasn't said this at all.

The same e-mail was previously circulated attributing those comments to Kevin Rudd and before that John Howard.
I must confess i though it looked familiar. Plus the second largest group in Oz aside from "white" European descent is Greek so they do speak other languages aside from English ;)

Ask the folks in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria etc why they don't tolerate Jewish/Christian festivals? The reason of course is that their entire religion and culture is based on intolerance. But let's not have a go at them, eh?

I don't think it matters who said it, the points are relevant though.
Can't agree there , having actually started to read the Old testament , the principles and ideas are really not that far removed from each other (what with them all being Abrahamic religions ) . Taoism is teh way ;) or Thelema :D

1. Out of respect for the local customs and traditions, a white British family living in a Muslim country is hardly going to go putting out a St George's cross on 23rd April or displaying a Palm Cross on Easter Sunday are they?
2. I wouldn't personally, but many people are because of the religious fanaticism that accompanies them in many cases.

It is simply respect that is lacking in many cases. People of different faiths and backgrounds can live together harmoniously but there has to be proper integration, and there really isn't enough done to ensure this happens.

To be fair in the two muslim countries that I've lived in both the flag and palm cross wouln't offend anyone. There are plenty of Christians here and quite a few churches. Rusty's point about the hardcore countries that nobody likes are still valid....but they're just ******s by anyone's yardstick.

Last edited:
BTW what Church did you attend this morning?

The Church of SZFC 1's...Even if it was a hoax , there are still points that the hoaxer made that are or should be concerns to us all.

Ozy now you have started believing The Bible it worries me.

Can't agree there , having actually started to read the Old testament , the principles and ideas are really not that far removed from each other (what with them all being Abrahamic religions ) . Taoism is teh way ;) or Thelema :D

Splitter! Louise is the true path

The Church of SZFC 1's...Even if it was a hoax , there are still points that the hoaxer made that are or should be concerns to us all.

Ozy now you have started believing The Bible it worries me.
Never said i believed it now did i :P . Just thought it was about time i read the works that influenced European and Middle eastern thought for some of the past 2000 years (now realizes where we all went wrong)

Back