• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Autumn statement

Oh come come , Neil F explains the fiscal problems and the pit falls we could potentially face and the best you can do is call the prime minister names and suggest that the leader of the opposition is popular with the electorate. I would really get that selective vision checked out. Really, it's not healthy.

The removal of air fuel duties on under 12s is a terrible move. Children on aeroplanes should be taxed extra. No-one wants to have to sit next to a kid on a flight.

They don't normally put children next to the weird guy travelling on his own do they?

Actually,the polls suggest that while Miliband is clearly less popular than the party he leads,this won't stop Labour winning the 2015 election, as the party with the greatest number of seats.

Really? The polling companies and psephologists all say they have no idea what will happen and that national vote shares mean nothing in an era of five party politics.

No one will win a majority, but the largest party will be determined by the performance of the SNP. If they rout Labour then Labour won't be the largest party. Neither party will be anywhere close to a majority though.

Really? The polling companies and psephologists all say they have no idea what will happen and that national vote shares mean nothing in an era of five party politics.

No one will win a majority, but the largest party will be determined by the performance of the SNP. If they rout Labour then Labour won't be the largest party. Neither party will be anywhere close to a majority though.
So the polling companies can't possibly know but you do (other than how SNP will do)

Actually,what any self-respecting psephologist will tell you, is that the last party leader who went on to become PM, after consistently polling much lower in popularity than their party, was none other than Thatcher.

Most of your lot thought she was an excellent PM.

Meanwhile, for another take on the polls have a look at this:-

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...bour-nation-nit-tory-osborne-post-thatcherite

"Look at the polls: Britain is a Labour country, not a Tory one."

Actually,what any self-respecting psephologist will tell you, is that the last party leader who went on to become PM, after consistently polling much lower in popularity than their party, was none other than Thatcher.

Most of your lot thought she was an excellent PM.

Meanwhile, for another take on the polls have a look at this:-

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...bour-nation-nit-tory-osborne-post-thatcherite

"Look at the polls: Britain is a Labour country, not a Tory one."

From the same article posted by Barna.

"It may seem perverse to be worried about a party that was heaved out of office under Brown four years ago. Quick general election bouncebacks of the sort Labour currently needs are rare in UK politics. Add to that the fact that Labour is still blamed more than the coalition for the state of the economy, that its economic prescriptions remain unclear to most voters, that its share of the vote – already low in the polls – tends to decline as elections near and that its leader has appalling ratings, and you can make a powerful case for saying Labour has little chance of victory in May."

Also whilst the Tory vote is suffering because of UKIP, Labour suffers due to the SNP and UKIP.

And it would be nice if him and Camerscum would acknowledge that rather than display the childish behaviour they did in parliament yesterday.

It was like watching little children who don't want to answer some actually sensible questions so they throw insults instead. It was infuriating to watch. All I wanted was to hear him (Camerscum that is) answer some questions. The only ones he answered with any sense were (lo and behold) ones from his own party that weren't actually difficult.

He really is a tool.

childish is as childish does

And it would be nice if him and Camerscum would acknowledge that rather than display the childish behaviour they did in parliament yesterday.

It was like watching little children who don't want to answer some actually sensible questions so they throw insults instead. It was infuriating to watch. All I wanted was to hear him (Camerscum that is) answer some questions. The only ones he answered with any sense were (lo and behold) ones from his own party that weren't actually difficult.

He really is a tool.

What you should do then is write in to Downing street and explain that as Cameron won't answer the questions you want answered, that any questions he may have for you will be met with a wall of silence.
I'm sure this tactic will come good for you at some point :winking:

Last edited:
Given your track record on getting things right, I do enjoy it when you come out with stuff like this:smile:

http://labourlist.org/2014/08/5-labour-seats-at-risk-from-ukip/

Interesting original article in the Independent by Matt Goodwin.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...y--the-seats-labour-risks-losing-9645349.html

Actually, I've only ever lost two bets on SZ.One was about football and the other (recently) about politics.

I'm happy to wager a tenner with you (loser pays SZ)that UKIP won't win any current Labour seat.

Grimsby will be interesting,granted.

Interesting original article in the Independent by Matt Goodwin.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...y--the-seats-labour-risks-losing-9645349.html

Actually, I've only ever lost two bets on SZ.One was about football and the other (recently) about politics.

I'm happy to wager a tenner with you (loser pays SZ)that UKIP won't win any current Labour seat.

Grimsby will be interesting,granted.

You're on.

My record on betting with is SZ members is poor (I once bet CS J that Smiffy was to drunk to realize which pint was his, and came a cropper to the tune of 30 quid), so you never know!

Given the spurious logic I don't think the psephologists would be self respecting for very long. What does an event of 35 years ago have to do with it? Furthermore there are plenty of examples of inadequate leaders crashing to defeat at election. I offer you Foot, Kinnock, Hague and Howard.

I have no idea what will happen. My opinion is no one will win an overall majority and the largest party will be determined by the performance of the SNP.

Alex Salmond deciding to run makes the SNP factor even more interesting.

Back