• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Will strike before the end of March.

They lost £50 million in the last quarter and need to cut costs. Cant the Union see this?

This from BBC website:
The airline has also proposed new contracts for fresh recruits and newly-promoted staff. These include a single on-board management grade, no seniority, promotion on merit, and pay set at the market rate plus 10%.

Promotion on merit? Blimey what a liberty.

Anyone going away with BA this year? I booked flights to USA for October and decided to go with Virgin despite BA being cheaper. Didnt want to increase the risk of missing a holiday because of strikes. How many people will be doing the same presumably causing more losses and less job security for the staff who already earn more than most other airline staff.

The school I work at have a trip to New York which will be effected. I believe however that the strike has been postponed due to a legality.

Pay set at market rate plus plus 10%? 'Kin Hell, am I missing something? Do you have to be Royalty to work for BA?

Its not really selfish is it their a service provider , they dont provide what you want go with someone else . That happens with all they custom go bust.
Someone else takes their place . .

BA staff, particularly those threatening to strike, earn more than twice what their counterparts do on rival airlines.

I know some BA air-hostesses and from speaking to them it's not quite as straight forward as it is being portrayed on here. They don't want to strike because they don't get paid if they go on strike and will probably get stranded somewhere away from home if they do, but BA are refusing to negotiate at the same time as making big detrimental changes to their working conditions (which they think also impact on safety), freezing pay etc. They see threatening strike action as a way of bringing BA to the negotiating table.

. They see threatening strike action as a way of bringing BA to the negotiating table.

Whilst at the same time ****ing off people who may have saved all year for one holiday only to find the airline are on strike.

Do they realise that at some stage a company that loses £50m needs to make changes if it is to survive?

Again and ?> This is teh buisness part of teh open market , at one stage they were felt to be worth taht how can they suddenly one day not be ?

Perhaps because their level of service has dropped. One day Freddy Eastwood was a top striker scoring goals week in week out. Then suddenly he wasn't.

I've managed to limit the amount of flights I've ever taken with BA to 6. Every one was late.

They strike, no-one flies with BA, lose more money and BA closes, everyone out of their jobs whether they were one of the strikers or not.

I can't see the logic in it.

Perhaps because their level of service has dropped. One day Freddy Eastwood was a top striker scoring goals week in week out. Then suddenly he wasn't.

I've managed to limit the amount of flights I've ever taken with BA to 6. Every one was late.

And lateness was caused by cabin crew ? AS i said find a another service priovider thats how it works isnt it ?

And lateness was caused by cabin crew ? AS i said find a another service priovider thats how it works isnt it ?

Then the company goes out of business at the hands of a handful of uppity, selfish jobsworths... ruining thousands of careers.

I know some BA air-hostesses and from speaking to them it's not quite as straight forward as it is being portrayed on here. They don't want to strike because they don't get paid if they go on strike and will probably get stranded somewhere away from home if they do, but BA are refusing to negotiate at the same time as making big detrimental changes to their working conditions (which they think also impact on safety), freezing pay etc. They see threatening strike action as a way of bringing BA to the negotiating table.

I think thats always the case with strikes. The main reason never seems to be known as people will just believe whatever the media say, however accurate or un-accurate it may be.

AS YB says, Like most "strikes" is just a way of getting the top dogs onto the negotiating table.

Kev

No becuase teh business is taken over teh people reemployed eventually and it starts again . Always happens

No it doesn't.

Woolworths, Rover, the are hundreds of business' going skint who dont start up again. Do you live in the real world Osy?

No it doesn't.

Woolworths, Rover, the are hundreds of business' going skint who dont start up again. Do you live in the real world Osy?

Ahh, but if BA go bust some other airline will take their slots at Heathrow etc. They will therefore have to expand their fleet and hire more pilots and cabin crew.

I think Osy is being a bit simplistic because not all these people will get jobs with new airlines, but a proportion will.

Interestingly the cabin crew that did get taken on would have to accept lower wages, and worse perks!

Back