• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
... and what a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon it was too!

I thought the first half performance was the best 45 minutes football Southend have played for a long, long time... certainly the best this season. They were 1st to every ball, never allowed Crewe a second on the ball, were a yard quicker all over the park, and after doing all the ugly things well, it then allowed them to play some scintilating football. The move in the first half which resulted in about 3-4 minutes of uninterrupted posession with a shot being saved by the keeper was just wonderful to watch.

Both goals in the first half were very well taken, proper finishes, and barring the penalty, I cannot remember Crewe having any attack of note. They were dismal in fairness, but a lot of that has to go down to how well we played, and the effect we had on them.

I said at half time the only way we won't win this is if we get over confident, and a touch complacent - not sure we were quite as bad as that, but we were certainly sloppy in the second half, and our performance level dropped right off. Crewe, being the home team, were always going to have a 'spell' at some point, but we could have handled it better IMO. That said, despite the non existent marking at a set piece (It's almost getting funny now!!) we still created enough chances to have won by a cricket score, and the goal to seal it was an absolute gem. Superb skill and then pass by Jimmy and a lethal finish by Barney. After that, it was just a case of waiting for the whistle, Crewe were spent.

Special mentions have to go to the following...

Flavs - A lot has been said in the debate about him and Collis, and whilst this is not necessarily a deciding factot, without him today, we may well have only got a point from a game we completely dominated. 2 great saves, and given the importance of them, he knows how to deal with the pressure. A better stopper of shots in this division? I'm yet to see one i'm afraid.

Macca - Difficult to pick one person out of the whole team who was man of the match, but if pushed, I think he would have to just edge out Jimmy and Barney. His work rate was immense, his never say die attitude literally won us our second goal, and he was in a different class in midfield to anyone else out there today. Absolutely superb performance, and in my eyes, is becoming possibly the most important cog in our wheels!

Jimmy - Have never been sure of him since he signed, but today, he showed what he could do... and how!! Terrific performance up front alongside Barney today, always a threat, and his passing was both confident, and incisive... the skill and pass for our third goal was top notch, bourne from a team at a higher level such as Charlton.

Barney - 2 'goalscorers' finishes today, and on top of that, did some very impressive work outside of the box as well. No doubt for me that Tilly has unearthed that 20-25 goal a season striker we were looking for, and if we can keep him fit, he's going to be a huge asset to this club.

I could have run through the whole team, but just wanted to pick those 4 out as the stand out players today.

The turnout and noise from the fans today was also 10 out of 10. Excellent volume levels, and I was a little taken aback at the numbers who travelled today. Not sure of the official figure, but it was certainly impressive for what was nothing like a local derby.

... and just to top it off, I was on Comply or Die at 10/1 for the National!! Day's like this don't come around too often!!

RC Junior, now 4 months old, is still yet to see us lose. He is 10 games undefeated, so seeing as he is down for the remaining 5 games, don't be surprised if we don't need the play offs!!

Last edited:
Walker really was quality today. Like you I had doubts as he's never revealed much, particularly as T&B have him touted as a real star but today they couldn't live with him.

Solid throughout the team, no weak links anywhere. All 11 had a good moment I can remember and the 'olé' passing period in the second half was great to just sit back and soak up in the sun.

I have no doubt we have the best fans home and away in the league ...fantastic effort to all those that went today..(shame I did not )...:clap::clap::clap:

The support today was excellent and it really does seem to lift the team, our poorer patches in the game were when we wern't chanting. Also in the gents chanting when the lights went out was pretty funny.

Wonder how last season would have gone if Barney had been signed to play alongside Freddy...

Not necessarily that well IMO. I don't think Barney alongside Eastwood would be a great partnership, and to be honest, he is unproven at that level.

He is doing bery well so far, and I genuinely think 25 goals a season at this level is not beyond him, assuming the service remains as good as it has been. In the Championship, it's a different kettle of fish as we've seen, but hopefully, we'll get to find out if he's upto the task next season :)

Excellent report Richard Cadette ...
I cant argue with any of that.. That first half was equal to the Leeds performance for desire, skill and spirit..
I thought Mulgrew was awesome in the first half, but he got done a bit in the second too easily.. Gower was fantastic today, and Walker and Barnard looked sensational at times..
And to save two penalties in the same game - fantastic !
If we can keep the next 5 unbeaten then nobody will want to be playing us in the playoffs

Last edited:
It's a stunning result and, combined with Port Vale's win at Brighton, means essentially one thing...

If we can beat the Seagulls on Tuesday, we're in the playoffs

Technically, a win on Tuesday would put us two points away from being mathematically certain of being in the playoffs, but that would require either Tranmere to win all four remaining games and for us not to pick up a point in any of them or Walsall winning all five remaining games.

And that's fairly unlikely.

So, Tuesday's the day: let's beat the Seagulls, and then start planning on how we beat one of the various Northern Monkeys we'll face in order to get to Wembley.

:D

Tilly & Brush - you are, quite simply, magnificent. What an achievement. I didn't think we'd make the playoffs this year, but it looks like you're on the brink on showing up my lack of faith yet again. What a management duo... and what a club!

:clap: :support:

Any ideas on how many we took today? It was a fantastic turnout.

I'd have said around 800.

By the way, not sure how they came up with the official attendance of 4,895. There was only a couple of hundred home fans behind each goal and couldn't have been much more than 2,000 in the main stand. Very strange.

They counted two for every one of us as we were all so great.

Happy Days

Walker really was quality today. Like you I had doubts as he's never revealed much, particularly as T&B have him touted as a real star but today they couldn't live with him.

Solid throughout the team, no weak links anywhere. All 11 had a good moment I can remember and the 'olé' passing period in the second half was great to just sit back and soak up in the sun.

Excellent - a good day had by all on the Walsall Road Trip.

Surprised Mr B you did not also back the Grand National Winner as Richard Cadette, having cracked 2 pair of Aces & Kings the night before, with Ace high straight, thought you could walk on water !

Congrats anyway, it was a great relaxing way to start a superb weekend.

Noted both full backs booked, hope they are not under any threat of suspension for important fixtures up-coming.

You [or someone else] would I am sure know the carryover situation for semis and poss final play offs, when & if we secure the necessary points, but I don't so would someone please post how many of our lads might be under threat or nearing any suspension total.

Last edited:
Back