• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

To be fair Andy, the next game is coming up in a couple of days and as soon as we start dwelling on past results, we'll start slipping up in games.

We are in a remarkable position but it's not like we're West Brom drawing at Old Trafford first day of the season.

My point being, if we were complete underdogs in all these games and with top aspirations of just staying up, we should take a result like today's and be absolutely delirirous. Basically, if this was a one-off then we should be celebrating it as such.

Now, I don't know if everyone else has adjusted their perspectives as well but I haven't seen one game this year where we have been pinned back by a much better side and utterly outplayed. Not even close. Instead, I know that there is more to come from Eastwood, Barrett, Pettefer and Smith. I've given it time to make sure I wasn't getting over-excited but ten games have gone and I haven't seen anything that has scared me but I know we can and will get better.

For instance, our defence was solid and the basis for our promotion and yet we've only kept one clean sheet. If we can get some of these soft goals out of our games I honestly think we can make a push for the top few places.

I know it will be hard but I can see a genuine opportunity for promotion here and already I've started looking up tot he table as I will do until we either slip well out of contention or get there.

As a result, I don't want to dwell on one past success but try and plot further success.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Sep. 24 2005,19:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,19:47)]Eastwood is NOT the bogs dollocks.
No, but he is arguably the biggest asset the club has (c.£500k?) and if I was Ron Martin I would prefer that he didn't rot in the reserves until such time as another club come in with a derisory £100k offer which we will have to accept because he is so unhappy. He was loyal to us last year, now it's time to show him some loyalty. "Shut up and deal with it" which is roughly the tone of some of the comments I have seen just won't cut it.

suspect.gif
How exactly was he loyal to us last year?

Anyway, all this chat is pure speculation. I haven't heard Eastwood whingeing about not being in the team, and he has always struck me as a down to earth sort of bloke. He'll get his chance soon enough, and if he's good enough he'll take it. If he's not, why worry?

I agree with this Eastwood stuff - he is a good player, but we have shown that we are doing well enough without him. After all the worry about only having two strikers not long ago, we now have 4 players good enough to fill the 2 shirts - I'll take that problem.

Eastwood should show some patience. He is young and obviously naturally talented - he wont be with us forever, but he has only been in league football 1 season. Stick it out Fredy and learn as much about being a decent man as well as a decent footballer.

BTW, I havent got a Falcon, I live in Lincs!
tounge.gif

I say let lawson and goater have a rest v yeovil and the ldv game and let gray and eastwood show off, with the midfield putting in such great deliveries lately, surely any of our strikers can get goals
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seenyeva kryevyetka @ Sep. 24 2005,19:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 24 2005,19:08)]Eastwood 6 - Had one little run but does not look a happy chappy.
Probably something to do with his current form making him fourth choice striker.
I thought Freddy looked well up for it today - as though he had a point to prove. Made one very powerful run in the few minutes he was on and generally got stuck in.

As for who should start up front on Tuesday, is it realistic to keep on expecting miracles from an 18 year old kid? Also, do we want to burn him out/is he up to two games in 4 days? Lawson also took a big knock late on and was struggling for 10 minutes or so - he may not even be fit for Tuesday.

IMHO, now would be the time to give him a rest, despite the fact he had his best all round game today. However, if he is to be rested, surely you have to, on current form, start Gray and not Eastwood?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (silentshrimper @ Sep. 24 2005,21:00)]with the midfield putting in such great deliveries lately, surely any of our strikers can get goals
tounge.gif
That's exactly what Phil and I thought last Sunday in SZFC's first game of the season. Phil plays the Guttridge role.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,21:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (silentshrimper @ Sep. 24 2005,21:00)]with the midfield putting in such great deliveries lately, surely any of our strikers can get goals
tounge.gif
That's exactly what Phil and I thought last Sunday in SZFC's first game of the season. Phil plays the Guttridge role.
biggrin.gif
All we need is someone to do the Maher role.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 24 2005,19:08)]The kick off saw us string together about 30 passes without a Rotherham touch and the final pass into the box should have been 3-2 with an unmarked Goater putting a close range header into the keepers hands.
The passing and movement at times in the second half was sublime - just like watching Brazil
biggrin.gif

Full credit to the players (and Tilly and Brush) for not dropping their heads at half time after, as the Rotherham fans kept on reminding us, "f***ing it up". The team spirit is phenomenal. The second half performance as good as you could wish to see - controlled the game, passed the ball well and 5 or 6 clear cut chances against Rotherham's one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,19:35)]
Get over this Eastwood star player s%&t. We have four decent forwards amongst a great squad of players. If he wants to list himself and get first team football we'd be better of without him.
Ok, then b011ocks to freddie cos we've got a ok teenager & and ageing ex prem star. me thinks your being a bit short sighted there mr orm.
Bottom line is, for all his effort, lawson aint nothing special & goater, for all his experience, is an occasional player.. Eastwood should be starting games not coming on with a few minutes to go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 24 2005,19:08)]With less than 10 mins to go, the board was held up for Bentley to make way for Gray, too which I said 'mistake' as it was a free-kick near the box and I felt Bentleys height could be vital... grumble, grumble GOAAAAALLLLL - First touch and Gray hung in the air for what seemed an age and a great height before powering his header home - cue mass hysteria amongst the Blues.
Tilson either has the midas touch or is the luckiest manager around. Most seemed to be calling for Gray or Eastwood to come on much sooner but Tilly timed it to perfection
biggrin.gif
. (Similarly last week, general consencous seemed to be start Gray and not Lawson. Who pops up with a goal after 10 minutes? Yep, Lawson.)

Why are you having a pop at Freddy? He came on today and as soon as he did, he had a stonking run forwards and showed just how much he wants to play for us.

He was superb last year and it is going to be hard for him after getting sent off, but LETS GET BEHIND FREDDY.

It's not often we ahve been in the position of having FOUR good strikers at the club, all pressing for places and it's great!

Ok, I'm only going to say this one last time and still want someone to come up with a decent response that doesn't involve them creaming their underpants just at the very mention of the word Freddy.

We are winning, we are second in the division and we have achieved that (largely) without Freddy ? Why bring him into the starting line up at the moment ?

And please note the words at the moment
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 24 2005,19:08)]The atmosphere during the whole game was a bit edgy in the ground due to some crazy seating arrangements but we didnt see any trouble outside the ground.

Most importantly, on the pitch, we did the business again and Ron Martin was the first guy on the pitch to come over the fans!!
Thought the atmosphere and support in the away end was superb - almost non stop noise. Excellent away turnout as well, 400+?

RM seemed really chuffed at the end - wanted to shake hands with everyone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ Sep. 24 2005,21:05)]
[b said:
[b said:
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
Hmmmmmmmmm

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,21:12)]Ok, I'm only going to say this one last time and still want someone to come up with a decent response that doesn't involve them creaming their underpants just at the very mention of the word Freddy.

We are winning, we are second in the division and we have achieved that (largely) without Freddy ? Why bring him into the starting line up at the moment ?

mad.gif
At the moment he should be coming off the bench as we are winning. I'd go with Tilly's decisions as i've not known him be wrong before.
Eastwood will get his chance, and i'm pretty sure he'll take it, but that doesn't mean he needs to be slated left right and centre!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,20:14)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
Hmmmmmmmmm

cool.gif
Aaaand Toddy's on the subs bench tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,21:12)]Ok, I'm only going to say this one last time and still want someone to come up with a decent response that doesn't involve them creaming their underpants just at the very mention of the word Freddy.

Here's an idea for everyone (I'm not having a pop at anyone). We've just seen one of the best performances and most memorable away victories in a long time and we're playing great football. How about waking up and smelling the roses
rock.gif
. We're second in the league - beyond the dreams of sane Shrimpers (is that a contradiction in terms
biggrin.gif
). It doesn't (and probably won't) get any better. Enjoy it!

[b said:

mad.gif
I agree with everything you say.

He f%&ked up and gave a chance to young talent, who has been playing well and scoring goals and helping to win matches, Freddy doesn't deserve to go straight back into the team, no player does, he has to earn the right.

No player is bigger than the team.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Sep. 24 2005,21:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,20:14)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
Hmmmmmmmmm

cool.gif
Aaaand Toddy's on the subs bench tomorrow.  
biggrin.gif
I was going to say that now we might need a goalkeeper too.

wink.gif

And no smart-arse comments about how we didn't have one before.

Back