• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

palexander

Life President
Just got in...

HOW f%&kING GOOD IS IT TO BE A BLUES FAN AT THE MOMENT!?!

We did so well, though 4-2 maybe flattering as they hit the bar a couple of times, but then again, Goater should of had a hat-trick within 10 minutes of the restart!

Bentley was wandering all over the place and the signs were not good. Eventually we settled down and Bents took his goal well after good work from Cole.

Barrett got his goal from another superb set-piece delivery from Maher. From way out on the right, pin point deep curling cross and Barrett hammered home with his head.

It all looked to be going so wrong by HT with a weak goal and penalty that (without seeing it since) looked harsh, though my mate reckons it was a stone-wall...?

At HT, we thought it would be good for the players to accept the draw as it stood and come out for the 2nd half with a fresh slate - lets win the the 2nd half.

The kick off saw us string together about 30 passes without a Rotherham touch and the final pass into the box should have been 3-2 with an unmarked Goater putting a close range header into the keepers hands. Minutes later, the ball fell to Goater who had too much time to set himself and a clear shot was blocked, Gutts put the rebound over when he looked well positioned too.

Goater had another chance but again didnt take it - I felt that was our lot - you dont come away from home and get too many easy chances and we should have taken one.

Rotherham started to get back into it and looked dangerous with each attack and it took some sterling defending from Barrett and Eagle to keep them out.

With less than 10 mins to go, the board was held up for Bentley to make way for Gray, too which I said 'mistake' as it was a free-kick near the box and I felt Bentleys height could be vital... grumble, grumble GOAAAAALLLLL - First touch and Gray hung in the air for what seemed an age and a great height before powering his header home - cue mass hysteria amongst the Blues.

Minutes later, Gray was pulled down in the box and though Eastwood grabbed the ball, he reluctantly tossed it to Gray who confidently stepped up for 4-2.

"Two nill up and we f%&ked it up" was the sarcastic chant from an excellent Blues following.

Low points of the day were the s%&t atmosphere and 3-sided tin pot ground and the over-enthusiastic stewarding that saw a few of our fans ejected - didnt look to be the usual p%&sed-up chavs either.

The atmosphere during the whole game was a bit edgy in the ground due to some crazy seating arrangements but we didnt see any trouble outside the ground.

Most importantly, on the pitch, we did the business again and Ron Martin was the first guy on the pitch to come over the fans!!

RATINGS:

Flavs 7 - Didnt have much to do.
Hunt 7 - Did OK defensively and should have scored with one forray forward.
Barrett 8 - Great blocks again and took his goal with usual aplomb.
Edwards 8 - Gotta feel for Prior, but Eagle is doing the business again!
Wilson 7 - Solid game from Wilson.
Cole 8 - Looks to be getting better each game. Had the beating of the full-back all game.
Maher 8 - Was covering all over the pitch and some great set piece deliveries.
Gutts 8 - Combative again and great passing vision.
Bentley 7 - Did a decent job out wide and was johnny-on-the-spot for the goal.
Goater 8 (MOM) - Led the line superbly well and should have scored a treble, but his all round play made up for the misses on this occassion.
Lawson 7 - Great effort again and smart running.

Eastwood 6 - Had one little run but does not look a happy chappy.
Gray 8 - 2 goals in 7 minutes - not bad!
Smith - Buzzed around for a couple of mins.

Finally, cheers to the Man City fans who came along in City shirts and Goater masks to cheer Shauny on! Nice one :-)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seenyeva kryevyetka @ Sep. 24 2005,19:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 24 2005,19:08)]Eastwood 6 - Had one little run but does not look a happy chappy.
Probably something to do with his current form making him fourth choice striker.
i wanna see tilly give him a chance. he got banned but we all know he is top quality, give him at least a half and let him do the business, we dont wanna sell him so we need to keep him happy, and then only way is to give him some games. lawson doesnt do it for 90 mins (i know he has scored and set up goals) but he aint a matchwinner like freddie, and also freddie is quality at holding up the ball and relieving the pressure from the back 4

Does Han solo know that you borrowed the millenium falcon??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jontosh2001 @ Sep. 24 2005,19:25)]i wanna see tilly give him a chance. he got banned but we all know he is top quality, give him at least a half and let him do the business, we dont wanna sell him so we need to keep him happy, and then only way is to give him some games.  
b******s. We start losing games or the forwards stop scoring goals then Eastwood gets his chance. If he continues to display petulance he'll continue to stew on the sidelines and the longer that continues the better, because it means the Goat, Gray or Lawson are doing the business.

Get over this Eastwood star player s%&t. We have four decent forwards amongst a great squad of players. If he wants to list himself and get first team football we'd be better of without him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Sep. 24 2005,19:35)]Does Han solo know that you borrowed the millenium falcon??
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Sep. 24 2005,19:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,19:35)]If he wants to list himself and get first team football we'd be better of without him.
With you all the way up to that bit....
suspect.gif
Ok, maybe a bit extreme, but it's not as if we have missed him is it ?

He needs to look over his shoulder at the attitude demonstrated by Andy Edwards and this season by Spinner, Jay, Benno etc.

Eastwood is NOT the bogs dollocks.

[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,19:35)]If he wants to list himself and get first team football we'd be better of without him.
suspect.gif
I agree.

This should make a much better player of Eastwood if he can come back from this.

I've said all along that Freddy has so much talent but whether he becomes a top player or not depends on whether he can be moulded in to the consumate professional that Tilly requires his players to be. I think he's jumped every hurdle so far but this is a tricky one.

What I particularly love is that everyone at other club thinks he's our star player but he's barely had any impact on the season so far!!

Eastwood's good, but highly over-rated. Stay with Lawson and Goater up front and make Eastwood (and Gray to an extent) fight for his place. Prehaps start with Gray and Eastwood up front in our first LDV game?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,19:47)]Eastwood is NOT the bogs dollocks.
No, but he is arguably the biggest asset the club has (c.£500k?) and if I was Ron Martin I would prefer that he didn't rot in the reserves until such time as another club come in with a derisory £100k offer which we will have to accept because he is so unhappy. He was loyal to us last year, now it's time to show him some loyalty. "Shut up and deal with it" which is roughly the tone of some of the comments I have seen just won't cut it.

suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Sep. 24 2005,19:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,19:47)]Eastwood is NOT the bogs dollocks.
No, but he is arguably the biggest asset the club has (c.£500k?)
Well that's a valuation that has been banded about. Not heard of anyone sniffing around for him though ?

So you would rather disrupt a winning team to keep one player happy ? I'd just prefer for Eastwood to stay patient. He's under contract so he can't go anywhere and our fantastic run can't continue, can it ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,19:47)]
[b said:
[b said:
suspect.gif

He needs to look over his shoulder at the attitude demonstrated by Andy Edwards and this season by Spinner, Jay, Benno etc.

Lets be honest, this has more to do with you not rating Eastwood as highly as some than it does with his attitude.

I wasn't at the game today so don't know whether he showed a bad attitude or not, but to start jimping all over him because he didn't set the world on fire in the 10 minutes or so that he was on the pitch seems extremely harsh.

I agree that Eastwood is a huge asset to the club, however at the end of the day if Lawson and the Goat are doing the business then Eastwood needs to bide his time and wait for his chance (through others' injuries/suspensions etc).  It's then up to him to show Tilly what he can do.  
There's no room for superstars in this team and I believe current form should dictate a players place without exception.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Sep. 24 2005,20:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 24 2005,19:47)]
[b said:
[b said:
suspect.gif

Lets be honest, this has more to do with you not rating Eastwood as highly as some than it does with his attitude.

I wasn't at the game today so don't know whether he showed a bad attitude or not, but to start jimping all over him because he didn't set the world on fire in the 10 minutes or so that he was on the pitch seems extremely harsh.
No Beefy you've got it all wrong.

We're winning games and we're second in the table and people are calling for Eastwood to start matches in place of other players that are doing the business on the pitch.

Plain and simple. That is WRONG !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Sep. 24 2005,19:51)]Eastwood's good, but highly over-rated.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.
oops.gif

Anyway, can someone explain to me what the heck is going on? We're joint top of League 1, yet our fans are bickering over something like this. Firstly, of course Freddy is probably unhappy that he's not playing, but he said himself that he expects to have to work hard to get back in the team. Secondly, there's no chance that he'll demand to leave and with it his value falling. We're in September! It won't be long before he's back in the team showing why he's our best player.

Can't we all just enjoy this moment instead of finding something to argue about for the sake of it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 24 2005,19:08)]Ron Martin was the first guy on the pitch to come over the fans!!
Crumbs - he must have been excited!
tounge.gif

Best player? no, I dont agree, very very good player and without doubt a key asset to the team and club but not the best player. In my opinion, Eastwood is a little greedy on the ball at times though im the first to admit that his making of Goaters second against Tranmere show real vision and class. Freddy is getting a bit frustrated with being third or fourth choice at the moment but if he is a team player then surely he must see what a fantastic postion it puts Southend in. Four class strikers and Tilson racking his brain as to who he plays? When did we last have this problem to contend with.

Lets enjoy the ride chaps. I more inclined to think that the card shark Gower has fleeced Eastwood at 3 card brag again and that was playing on his mind a bit.
tounge.gif

My neighbour who knows the Eastwood clan rather well (coming from the same elk) says that several clubs are somewhat interested in the lad and considerations have been given. Consider that then consider that my neighbour knows nah nah about football but will make a great job of block paveing your drive. Worry ye not people, the pikey will rise from the bench.

Remember, Southend loves a pikey.

Back