• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 14 2005,11:05)]From what they were saying on the radio, most of Walsall's chances barring the goals where I was most likely cursing too loud to hear were coming as a result of Juppy napping.  I think it would really be a shame if Jupp doesn't raise his consistency in light of his competition with Hunt.
This was shown up on the Football League Review on Sky Sports this evening, where they pointed out that Tilly would be disappointed with Jupp's defending for Walsall's second goal - he just seemed to slow down as he got closer to the goal and made no effort either to intercept the ball or to try to prevent Leitao from getting it.

Is it worth giving Hunt a run-out at right back?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ Aug. 14 2005,23:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 14 2005,11:05)]From what they were saying on the radio, most of Walsall's chances barring the goals where I was most likely cursing too loud to hear were coming as a result of Juppy napping.  I think it would really be a shame if Jupp doesn't raise his consistency in light of his competition with Hunt.
This was shown up on the Football League Review on Sky Sports this evening, where they pointed out that Tilly would be disappointed with Jupp's defending for Walsall's second goal - he just seemed to slow down as he got closer to the goal and made no effort either to intercept the ball or to try to prevent Leitao from getting it.

rock.gif
I think people were really using Jupp as an example to show how Che is sometimes treated unfairly and seems to be the scapegoat of the side. To be honest I think Hunt is better than Jupp at RB but to be fair from what I've seen this season Juppy has played well too, so I dont really mind who Tilly chooses as I think they are both up to the standard. And after all, who could forget our second goal in the playoff final!
tounge.gif

IMO Tilly won't change the team as long as we're getting results.

To put an interesting spin on the game, Jupp was The Game's Blinder and Guttridge got the Stinker award.

I had to read it twice after what I've read on here!

There are people who seem to want Che to fail - why I don't know. However, those same fans always seem to say that they trust Tilly in everything he does so why don't they get off Che's back. We can never expect to have the greatest players in the world at SUFC but as long as they give 100% thats good enough for me. The same goes for Juppy and Petts. During our record breaking unbeaten run last season only three players were ever-present - Adam, Che and Petts. Thats worth thinking about, isn't it ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ Aug. 14 2005,23:01)]
[b said:

rock.gif
Also watched the goals on sky and yes it was Jupp that got caught napping when he should of just cleared the ball into row z instead of letting the ball roll past him into the dangerzone.

Also showed Darryl's save and it was quality, the player who had the header couldn't beleive he didn't score as he was hitting the floor in disbeleif ( well that was my take on it)

Another point was that it's refreshing to see us score a from a cross, one of the things that i felt we had to improve on was getting quality balls into the box, we seem to have vast's amount of possession around the box without really hurting teams.
But now we have the Goat we should be getting in lots of crosses as thats his strength..

A great point gained saturday but i think Huddersfield will be a our biggest test to date.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper magic @ Aug. 15 2005,10:40)]Another point was that it's refreshing to see us score a from a cross, one of the things that i felt we had to improve on was getting quality balls into the box, we seem to have vast's amount of possession around the box without really hurting teams.
But now we have the Goat we should be getting in lots of crosses as thats his strength..
Good point, I wonder when the last time we scored with 2 headers in a game was
rock.gif

A couple of quick points

Eastwood isn't playing badly. He just isn't getting the ball as much as he did last season. This appears to be partially because we seem to be going wide and crossing it, instead of trying to play through the congested middle and partially that Freddy is a marked man. Gray is benefitting from this and if he continues to score, he'll become the marked man and Eastwood will get the space he thrives on.

Both teams sprayed the ball about and played some good football but both sides need to improve defensively as they looked vulnerable at crosses because the keeper/centre-halves didn't attack the ball. Whilst Eagle played well, he doesn't attack the ball like Spinner does. The sooner Spinner is fit the better.

I also felt we missed Benno, particularly in the uneventful first half. Second half Jay Smith looked very sharp when he came on. Its going to be tricky to fit everyone in. I think Bentley must play and he must play in the middle as otherwise his engine is wasted. Can Jay Smith play on the right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 15 2005,12:20)]Can Jay Smith play on the right?
I asked him this question once. He said that he feels much happier in the middle and that's where he's most affective... but if he had to play wide right, he would.

Didn't seem to like the idea too much though.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 15 2005,11:20)]A couple of quick points

Eastwood isn't playing badly. He just isn't getting the ball as much as he did last season. This appears to be partially because we seem to be going wide and crossing it, instead of trying to play through the congested middle and partially that Freddy is a marked man. Gray is benefitting from this and if he continues to score, he'll become the marked man and Eastwood will get the space he thrives on.

Both teams sprayed the ball about and played some good football but both sides need to improve defensively as they looked vulnerable at crosses because the keeper/centre-halves didn't attack the ball. Whilst Eagle played well, he doesn't attack the ball like Spinner does. The sooner Spinner is fit the better.

I also felt we missed Benno, particularly in the uneventful first half. Second half Jay Smith looked very sharp when he came on. Its going to be tricky to fit everyone in. I think Bentley must play and he must play in the middle as otherwise his engine is wasted. Can Jay Smith play on the right?
I think the same point would apply to Jay as to Benno - he needs to play in the middle and would be wasted on the right (Smith that is).

I know he was only on some 20 minutes, but for those that were not there, believe me, he looked a class above everyone else on the pitch for those minutes. I dont remember Jay being so tough in the tackle either, but he was flying in all over the place.

The thing Smith has over Benno is better technique. Smiths first touch is excellent and he has quick feet - something Bentley lacks (though he more than makes up in other areas).

Smith will be vital to our survival/promotion push if that is the level of performace he can put in regularly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 15 2005,12:20)]Eastwood isn't playing badly. He just isn't getting the ball as much as he did last season.
From what it sounded like in the Walsall game, he's also getting himself into 3 or 4 good positions, so his approach play and skill levels are up there but, for whatever reason, he's just not hitting the target like he was when he was on fire last season.

Is the wait for a goal getting to him and making him snap at chances?

Is it the pressure of expectation?

Are defenders just not giving him the same amount of time or space as they were last season?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 15 2005,11:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 15 2005,12:20)]Eastwood isn't playing badly. He just isn't getting the ball as much as he did last season.
From what it sounded like in the Walsall game, he's also getting himself into 3 or 4 good positions, so his approach play and skill levels are up there but, for whatever reason, he's just not hitting the target like he was when he was on fire last season.

Are defenders just not giving him the same amount of time or space as they were last season?

rock.gif
He is definately snatching and is visably frustrated. One chance Saturday he would have buried no question last season...

He spun his defender excellently and was left facing the goal with nobody around him - he lashed the shot and pulled it (just) wide to the keepers right. Last season he probably would have composed himself and curled it to the keepers left without thinking.

He had a similar chance a little later from a bit further out and screwed that well high and wide.

I am worried that by focussing so much on trying to get his own goal, he might miss rolling someone else in for an easier chance. I am sure Gray was standing unmarked 6 yards out for the first chance i described above...
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Aug. 15 2005,10:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper magic @ Aug. 15 2005,10:40)]Another point was that it's refreshing to see us score a from a cross, one of the things that i felt we had to improve on was getting quality balls into the box, we seem to have vast's amount of possession around the box without really hurting teams.
Good point, I wonder when the last time we scored with 2 headers in a game was  
rock.gif
We did it quite a few times last season, including home to Macclesfield (Barrett x 2) and Swansea (2 Eastwood headers and a Prior header), and away at Notts County and Northampton (Barrett x 2 in each game).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Aug. 15 2005,11:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 15 2005,11:28)]
[b said:

rock.gif
He is definately snatching and is visably frustrated. One chance Saturday he would have buried no question last season...

He spun his defender excellently and was left facing the goal with nobody around him - he lashed the shot and pulled it (just) wide to the keepers right. Last season he probably would have composed himself and curled it to the keepers left without thinking.

He had a similar chance a little later from a bit further out and screwed that well high and wide.

I am worried that by focussing so much on trying to get his own goal, he might miss rolling someone else in for an easier chance. I am sure Gray was standing unmarked 6 yards out for the first chance i described above...  
rock.gif
Disagree about him snatching at it.

A lot of his goals last season came from Freddy hitting it early, which is a deliberate ploy to try and catch the keeper out. Had that shot been a couple of inches to the right everyone would be saying what a brilliant goal it was.

A quality goalscorer needs to gamble and needs to back himself everytime. The time I will worry about Freddy is when he gets himself in that position and squares it to Wayne.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 15 2005,17:02)]A quality goalscorer needs to gamble and needs to back himself everytime. The time I will worry about Freddy is when he gets himself in that position and squares it to Wayne.
Exactly. We went for so many seasons showing promise but unable to produce anything in the final third, because everyone seemed scared of having a shot at goal. Now we have a lethal, fearless goal-machine, that's the way we want him to stay, surely?

For that near-miss on Saturday, as has been said already, everything he did in the build-up, bar the actual shot, was of a very high quality. The only thing wrong was he was a few centimetres wide of the target. If he keeps working like that, the goals will come...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper magic @ Aug. 15 2005,16:50)]I was thinking more about scoring from crosses in open play
rock.gif
Oh, I see what you mean. The last time we scored two headers from open play was home to Swansea last season.

In fairness, since the loss of Drewenaldo we're not very likely to score headers from open play given the height of our strikers. Actually, the loss of Drewenaldo has made no differnce on that score.
biggrin.gif

After seeing his miss on TV where he rolled Westwood , what a goal that would've been! It is definitely clear though that teams feel that by shutting him out they'll stop us. Hopefully the likes of Cole and Bentley will get a lot more room further forward because of it. Freddy has got tonnes of talent as we all know, he'll cope once he gets used to the flurry of activity around him when he gets the ball.

Back