• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Back to school

Children are social and sociable beings, they need the stimulus of being around others of their age. Going back to school is a good thing - though the amount of traffic on the road has now increased back to normal levels which is not a good thing!

Agreed but my DOS yesterday wouldn't entertain the idea of a fun bet on how long the school might stay open.

Agreed but my DOS yesterday wouldn't entertain the idea of a fun bet on how long the school might stay open.
Schools have to stay open. There was a good piece on the BBC website on the balance between keeping people safe and not going into full lockdown again. Made an interesting read.

Schools have to stay open. There was a good piece on the BBC website on the balance between keeping people safe and not going into full lockdown again. Made an interesting read.

Very much doubt if well be seeing a full lockdown again anywhere but local ,maybe short lockdowns ,are a strong possibility I'd 've thought.

Again, the risk is tiny. Most teachers are under 50 and healthy. Stop being scared.

FYI I'm retired and only work PT these days.I also have an underlying medical condition (Type 2 Diabetes).

The risk, (if everyone is wearing a mask) is about a 1.5 % risk of infection*.I'd agree that particular risk is relatively tiny.That doesn't take into account, however, the risk of touching a surface which hasn't been disinfected properly (haven't seen any figures for that) and picking up the virus that way.

Btw,I didn't say I was scared.I said the situation was scarey.That's not the same thing at all.

*according to research by John Hopkins University.

FYI I'm retired and only work PT these days.I also have an underlying medical condition (Type 2 Diabetes).

The risk, (if everyone is wearing a mask) is about a 1.5 % risk of infection*.I'd agree that particular risk is relatively tiny.That doesn't take into account, however, the risk of touching a surface which hasn't been disinfected properly (haven't seen any figures for that) and picking up the virus that way.

Btw,I didn't say I was scared.I said the situation was scarey.That's not the same thing at all.

*according to research by John Hopkins University.
The virus is mainly spread airborne.

Is that just from covid or does it include smoking (passive or not), obesity, excess sugar, excess salt, diesel particles, mobile phone usage, repeat prescription drugs, and more.

There are risks involved in many things in life. You may weigh up the risks and decide that the risk is worth the reward. Each individual's risk tolerance is different. I'm not seeking to answer that question on behalf of people but was simply pointing out that the wrong question was being asked as Shrimpboy was only looking at a narrow part of the risk equation. You need to consider not only the risk of death but the risk of long term illness or damage. We're simply not yet in a position to say definitively that the risk is tiny because we don't yet understand the medium-long term impact of covid because it is so new.

With salt and sugar intake, mobile phone and prescription drugs usage I can control my exposure to it. Whilst I choose not to smoke, I can't control my exposure to passive smoking - which is why there's legislation in place to ban smoking in pubs etc. Similarly whilst I choose not to contribute to pollution by driving a car, I can't control what pollution I am exposed to but there's legislation in place to limit the exposure individuals are supposed to be subject to (albeit these are frequently flouted). Whilst at work (or here as at school) you can't control the amount you are exposed, hence the need for government intervention. Whether the current government measures are proportionate is another issue.

Talking of risk. Before you all rush out and vaccinate your children look up the 1976 swine flu outbreak in the US.

Due to a small flu outbreak in a military base they vaccinated 46 million people. They are still covering up the deaths and long term damage as we speak .....I'll wager none you have ever heard of this, so ask yourself why?

The thing you should really be suspicious of is positive tests for Corona virus. That does not mean it was Covid19...There is a big difference.

Last edited:
My kids have been sent home from school because one displayed cold symptoms and now the entire family has to self isolate.

I know of a few families in the same position.

5 suspected cases in my daughter's year at Belfairs after only 8 days back in the classroom, and 2 of my wife's colleagues have actually tested positive. I'm just keeping my head down...

i really cant see a second wave happening. There is a lot of thinking that the virus has mutated into a weaker form, hence there are still active infections but hospital admissions have fallen of a cliff. I think its time to get on with our lives and rebuild the country. Its also time to drop the face coverings in shops its becoming a farce.

Are you for real?? Is your opinion guesswork or based upon your in-depth research as an expert in the field of medication?

Due to a small flu outbreak in a military base they vaccinated 46 million people. They are still covering up the deaths and long term damage as we speak .... I'll wager none you have ever heard of this, so ask yourself why?
I've heard of it. What do I win?

I've heard of it. What do I win?

Funny with your vast knowledge of the subject, you chose not to inform us all about a proven vaccine programme that completely failed with disastrous consequences for 1000s of people

Instead you wanted to silence any "conspiracy" debate on the very first page of the Covid thread.

Are you for real?? Is your opinion guesswork or based upon your in-depth research as an expert in the field of medication?
Its my opinion on a football discussion forum. Everyone else can have an opinion why cant I? I was posing the question why have infection rates increased but hospital admissions not gone up? Is it due to the virus mutating, or us there a lag between infection and hospital admission not seen yet.

Last edited:
Its my opinion on a football discussion forum. Everyone else can have an opinion why cant I? I was posing the question why have infection rates increased but hospital admissions not gone up? Is it due to the virus mutating, or us there a lag between infection and hospital admission not seen yet.
Infection rates may have gone up as recorded and tested figures have gone up.
At the start, early weeks it was the hospital patients who got tested so many persons known to be positive were in hospital, and many others of less risk groups may have had covid but never got tested.
Hospital, and pre that dire state of admission, many persons have benefited from the knowledge of what treatments and drugs can help stop a worsening of covid. Fewer people hospitalised.
At risk groups are better shielded than the first wave.
People are, largely, doing recommended things.

Back