• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
"Parse Error," said my laptop with a grumply bleep. "Cricketbook.abw, not well formed. Invalid token at line 236."

I blinked in confusion.

"Abiword cannot open Cricketbook.abw," it continued apace. "This is not a valid document."

'Well, that's strange,' I thought to myself. It was a valid document yesterday when I clattered through the 20,000 word barrier with an energetic and effervescent explaniation of the effect of weather conditions on wickets. It was very valid indeed. I double-clicked again.

"Parse Error," it repeated. "Cricketbook.abw, not well formed. Invalid token at line 236. Abiword cannot open Cricketbook.abw," it continued apace. "This is not a valid document."

The sweat appeared on the back of my neck. My balls rose up inside my body in terror.

Click. Parse Error. Click. Invalid. Click. Parse Error. Click. Click. Click. Bleep.

It's gone. Nine days before deadline and it's gone.

I've since been able to salvage 7,000 words from the txt file and, having stripped them of the machine code that surrounds them, they're still usable. The rest is just a memory.

Back up your files. Back them up all the time. I didn't and look at me. I'm smearing angry notes on the kitchen floor in my own excrement.

Take the file to a technician or computer store... Friend of mine lost his dissertation 4 days before the hand in date and the technicians he saw were able to recover it.

Cheers MK, I've dropped them a line. I took it to an IT friend of mine, but he wasn't able to do anything. It's tricky because it's not a well known bit of software.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Unfortunately, there was no coming back from this. I even got in touch with the makers of the word processor and they couldn't help me.

In the past 48 hours I have rattled out 11,000 words and I'm now back where I was at the time of The Accident. My fingers are like tiny hammers.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Unfortunately, there was no coming back from this. I even got in touch with the makers of the word processor and they couldn't help me.

In the past 48 hours I have rattled out 11,000 words and I'm now back where I was at the time of The Accident. My fingers are like tiny hammers.

The poor or total lack of support you get with freeware/open source products is something that advocates tend not to talk about too much.

Ha ha! It's done! It's all done! 20,000 words in seven days! Ha ha! Done! No more cricket book! Woooooo!

*takes clothes off, runs round the streets of North London*

is this an appropriate place to mention that I had a vivid dream about Slipperduke the other night?

*covers up*

Go on....

it was quite trippy, but what i can remember is that i was back at my old parents house and you moved into the bungalow next door and had a house warming party that all my family went to. In your lounge you had a directors chair with THE DUKE written on the back.

*cuts cheese out of his late night diet*

To return to the original topic, I can heartily endorse the motion of backing up one's files, as I appear to be royally buggered having not done so.

My laptop screen don't work. The laptop turns on, it works (I can see the power light and hear the thing) but the screen doesn't come on. Just satys black. I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that I may have hit it a bit hard last week. May have knocked a wire loose or something.

To return to the original topic, I can heartily endorse the motion of backing up one's files, as I appear to be royally buggered having not done so.

My laptop screen don't work. The laptop turns on, it works (I can see the power light and hear the thing) but the screen doesn't come on. Just satys black. I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that I may have hit it a bit hard last week. May have knocked a wire loose or something.

have you got a VGA output on it so you can plug in a normal monitor (will have to press Fn+F5 or whatever to activate it... the F button will usually have a picture of the monitor on it to show which one to press)

have you got a VGA output on it so you can plug in a normal monitor (will have to press Fn+F5 or whatever to activate it... the F button will usually have a picture of the monitor on it to show which one to press)

No idea.

or take the hard drive out and get the contents recovered?

Um. Didn't think of that.

Had hoped for a solution that would lead to the thing being usable again, if only until September time when I upgrade.

Back