• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Over the last month or so, we have had much discussion on this board as to the pro's and cons of Maher, Constantine, Warren, Cort and Flahavan, whether we would be bothered if they were to stay or go.

So, lets sum up; (and these are not all necessarily my opinions personally, just what I have gleaned from various posters opinions)

Maher - pro - Gives his all, solid in a defensive/holding role, ball winner
Against - scores few goals, not commanding enough as skipper, rarely passes forwards

Constantine - pro - Has scored 25 goals
Against - Never looks like scoring - therefore possibly this season is a fluke?

Warren - pro - commanding, passionate, monster tackler, fans favourite
Against - injury prone and getting on a bit

Cort - pro - Superb in the air
Against - lousy at everything else and hoofs it too much

Flahavan - pro - Great shot stopper and very agile
Against - Rarely comes off his line and doesn't command his box. Also about 4 inches too short

One of the recurring comments I have read when discussing any individual is that

"there are 10 other players on the pitch"

Well, yes, that is true... but there's nearly half a team listed above, who, if they were all so great, would surely be enough to carry a poor side into mediocrity or a mediocre side into something semi decent.

So, with a few decent players around that core, you might then expect the side to be pretty good, wouldn't you?

But then we HAVE got some decent players in the team. Gower, Dudfield, Hunt, Bentley, Pettefer... I personally rate Jupp as a right back but I know that some fans haven't taken to him, and there's Nicolau who looks good but is actually unproven and prone to the odd howler, Bramble and Broughton who haven't had the greatest of seasons, Smith who was pretty darn good before he got injured... hang on! This is a decent side! A few question marks, sure, but there should be 8 or 9 who pick themselves.

Even allowing for the settling in period for the new team, and the fact that we had a managerial change in November, this was still long enough to put together a decent run and get into play off contention. I mean, Northampton managed it... and Boston only started their run after we demolishd them at their place, when they looked relegation certs to be honest.

So how come we only finished 17th (and actually, had other results gone against us, we could have been even lower!)?

Something is wrong. There is a general feeling that a strong spine of the team equals success... well, the five players listed at the top ARE the spine of the team, with the possible exception of Constantine who spent some time wide right.

No Div 3 player (in fact any player at all) is perfect and they all have strengths and weaknesses. It would be no good replacing Flahavan with a big keeper who makes schoolboy howlers like Mel Capleton, for instance. I mean, we had one of those in Emberson.

But clearly there is something in the blend that is not right. Dave Webb worked on this theory... he wanted players to do certain jobs, and focused on improving their positives so that they became even more valuable in that particular area rather than trying to improve their weaknesses; in other words, he was more bothered about what they could do rather than what they couldn't.

Now it may be that Tilly, having served under Webb, is adopting the same philosophy. I don't know. But I think we need some work on strengthening the spine in order to become a decent side. Andy Edwards I believe will be a positive asset, so the work has begun. Depending on Cort and Warren we may need another defender or two.

But either way, the blend needs changing... we concede far too many goals and cannot rely on scoring 3 every time we need to win a game.

Maybe this explains why some people would not be too upset at the departure of certain players. It will force a change in the mix.

Quote "So how come we only finished 17th (and actually, had other results gone against us, we could have been even lower!)?"

Had we not been well and truly robbed last game of the season and picked up 3 points which could have been possible. We could have been 12th so your argument swings both ways.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ May 19 2004,10:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ May 19 2004,10:00)]We could have been 12th so your argument swings both ways.
Who swings both ways?
I was never confused

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ May 19 2004,10:00)]Quote "So how come we only finished 17th (and actually, had other results gone against us, we could have been even lower!)?"

Had we not been well and truly robbed last game of the season and picked up 3 points which could have been possible. We could have been 12th so your argument swings both ways.
Of course... but the point was that we could have been well out of sight by then, and weren't, despite playing pretty damn well for over half a season.

And i think we did have some pretty hasrh decision and plenty of games were we were very unlucky. orient away and huddersfield to name two. Yeah we did play well for a while but did you expect us to chalange when we were first bottom after christmas? Couple that with the amount of injurys and suspensions we had and the fact that the cup run meant added strain on a very small and young sqaud and you can maybe see the bigger picture. Tilly looks to be building a very capable team. I am sure that the out of contract players will sign and with a few more added we will be at the very least a top ten team. Who knows we may even be a top five side!!!
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ May 19 2004,10:37)]And i think we did have some pretty hasrh decision and plenty of games were we were very unlucky.
What comes around goes around.

What about Peteffer? He was working so well with Nicolau before he got injured. I seriously can't wait for next season with this squad I hope they're all fit, and stay that way.

Let's face it though Wignall screwed this season up, with the way he couldn't get the players going, even though he helped it with good signings. If the seson started in January we'd be up near the play-offs, and also we wouldn't have lost the way we did to Yeovil, and we would have beaten Rochdale and Torquay because we would have been up for the game needing the points!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ May 19 2004,10:37)]And i think we did have some pretty hasrh decision and plenty of games were we were very unlucky. orient away and huddersfield to name two. Yeah we did play well for a while but did you expect us to chalange when we were first bottom after christmas? Couple that with the amount of injurys and suspensions we had and the fact that the cup run meant added strain on a very small and young sqaud and you can maybe see the bigger picture. Tilly looks to be building a very capable team. I am sure that the out of contract players will sign and with a few more added we will be at the very least a top ten team. Who knows we may even be a top five side!!!
wink.gif
I agree with everything you say and no, I didn't EXPECTto be challenging for the play offs having been second bottom at Christmas... but we could have done had we not kept conceding 2 goals, which is my main point.

We conceded 2 goals in a game on 26 occasions this season(including cups), and that is too many.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 19 2004,10:45)]I thought Yeovil away we were unlucky.
Was that unlucky in the sense that we could have all stayed in bed that day and avoided a lengthy journey and a truly inept display from the shrimpers?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ May 19 2004,11:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 19 2004,10:45)]I thought Yeovil away we were unlucky.
Was that unlucky in the sense that we could have all stayed in bed that day and avoided a lengthy journey and a truly inept display from the shrimpers?
biggrin.gif

Back