• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ban heading from the game he asks!!

I've been saying for donkeys years that I think football will end up as a no overhead none contact sport. I also think it will end up with two formats much like rugby league and rugby union.

I've been saying for donkeys years that I think football will end up as a no overhead none contact sport. I also think it will end up with two formats much like rugby league and rugby union.
Wow talk about ruining our game if that happened.

What would the two formats be?

It’s only a matter of time before the hoof from a goal kick is outlawed. The only reason it hasn’t been yet is because top teams have already moved away from it so it is less a factor there and FIFA don’t watch lower leagues. Forgot safety issues it adds nothing to entertainment with the resultant head tennis. Changes beyond that might be more problematic.

It’s only a matter of time before the hoof from a goal kick is outlawed. The only reason it hasn’t been yet is because top teams have already moved away from it so it is less a factor there and FIFA don’t watch lower leagues. Forgot safety issues it adds nothing to entertainment with the resultant head tennis. Changes beyond that might be more problematic.
Can imagine a high ball in the box and the no. 5 and no. 9 have to stand there waiting for the ball to hit the ground......As the fans quietly fall asleep zzzzzz....It sounds like Monty Python!

I just think that the lower league clubs will break away from the EFL and differentiate themselves by having different rules. E.g bigger or smaller goals, no stoppages for injuries, roll on roll off substitutions, points deducted instead of red or yellow cards and points per goal instead of for wins or draws

I just think that the lower league clubs will break away from the EFL and differentiate themselves by having different rules. E.g bigger or smaller goals, no stoppages for injuries, roll on roll off substitutions, points deducted instead of red or yellow cards and points per goal instead of for wins or draws
...then see contrived 15-15 draws!

Wonder how it could be enforced to actually have the desired impact. In junior football the retreat rule is reasonably effective as the defending team has to drop to half way (or a third back potentially) so the team in possession play it out from the back. However, it sometimes just introduces a pass before it gets smashed forward by a defender or keeper.

The only 'mistake' came after about five minutes when a ball clipped up field from the left-back position was headed by the opposing team's centre-back. Cue pantomime-style antics from the crowd and opposing players.
The attacking team was awarded a free-kick and on the game went.
"Yes, I think my instincts just said 'if the ball is in the air go and attack'," explained Mark Tinkler, who committed the error.
"It brings a different dimension to your game - you have to think quicker, bring the ball down on your chest and find other solutions."
Tinkler, now a youth coach at Middlesbrough, was a professional for 17 years and played for teams including Leeds United, York City and Southend United.

How much of that would be allowed by FIFA? Some might be, but some might not...

Madness. Heading is an integral part of the game. Would you ban serving from tennis or scrums from rugby? When they talk about the link to dementia they're talking about players who played in the 60s/70s when the balls were far heavier than they are now. There is generally less heading in the game nowadays anyway, particularly at higher levels.

Madness. Heading is an integral part of the game. Would you ban serving from tennis or scrums from rugby? When they talk about the link to dementia they're talking about players who played in the 60s/70s when the balls were far heavier than they are now. There is generally less heading in the game nowadays anyway, particularly at higher levels.

Rugby League has. They have non-contested scrums.

How far can you go !!

Matching HANDBAGS for each team as only physical contact allowed:Smile:

Back