• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ban smoking outdoors?

Get orf my land....

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
Interesting article from the Beeb about the use of pub gardens now being used by smokers in the hot months, discouraging those who do not partake from sitting outside.

It's being banned in some USA states and there are laws in place in Oz & NZ.

Jersey seemingly looking at going that extra step and banning in even within your own home!

I personally think that, yes, it should be banned. Go and huddle under a bus shelter and leave my lungs alone you buckets of filth. hashtag nazi_ex_smoker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23515135

There is already talk about banning smoking in your own car and now this!! Smokers won't be able to smoke anywhere soon.

As a 10 year ex-smoker, I hate the smell and sight of it now, BUT, I don't see that you can ban it outdoors. People still have the freedom to abuse their own bodies by smoking if they wish and I think it would be unfair to deny them that totally. I do think there should still be smoking areas in pub gardens though, possibly with some kind of bamboo screening or something to encourage the smoke to go upwards rather than sideways.

I don't understand how certain US states think they can ban it in a person's own home?

As a 10 year ex-smoker, I hate the smell and sight of it now, BUT, I don't see that you can ban it outdoors. People still have the freedom to abuse their own bodies by smoking if they wish and I think it would be unfair to deny them that totally. I do think there should still be smoking areas in pub gardens though, possibly with some kind of bamboo screening or something to encourage the smoke to go upwards rather than sideways.

Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Hate smoking, disgusting habit.

Cant see why you can ban it outside though.

As for banning it completely again whats the basis? Should we also ban drinking?

In answer to the specific point, where's the option for "Ban where food or drink is served regardless of presence of roof" ?

Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Why? MK says in his opening post that it's discouraging people from sitting outside in some cases, so anything that makes it more conducive to people enjoying being outside should be considered.

Why? It brings in tax income, employment, it is a choice to smoke, no-one forces you to smoke, and now smoking is banned indoors, passive smoking is less of a worry.

1. It's a significant health risk.

Hate smoking, disgusting habit.

Cant see why you can ban it outside though.

As for banning it completely again whats the basis? Should we also ban drinking?

Drinking is perfectly fine in moderation.

Why? MK says in his opening post that it's discouraging people from sitting outside in some cases, so anything that makes it more conducive to people enjoying being outside should be considered.

Because it's divisive in an area where it doesn't need division.

I have been to Southend Hospital this morning and made my way past the mass of smokers at the fence, staff and unwell people; and the mess on the pavement is a disgrace: & it seems a waste of money/time/effort treating people who are intent on self harm.

You can't ban it outdoors but there should be a nominated smoking area away from the the beer garden. The beer garden is an extension of the inside of the pub and although it is outdoors, it is still part of the area everyone purchasing goods at the pub is entitled to sit.

You can't ban it outdoors but there should be a nominated smoking area away from the the beer garden. The beer garden is an extension of the inside of the pub and although it is outdoors, it is still part of the area everyone purchasing goods at the pub is entitled to sit.

Er, you voted yes to ban it. :dim:

The solution is simply to have smoking pub's where smoker's can happily light up indoors or outside without fear of being burnt on the cross,Likewise other pub's can issue a complete ban within their premises and garden's.

My bet is the smoking pub would flourish.

Back