• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bank Charges

Desert Shrimper

The Oil Baron
Got a letter today from my bank saying although they planned to negative rep me for asking (:guns: ) they were prepared to settle my claim for unfair bank charges at just over half of what I'd asked for. It's a tidy sum and I'm tempted to settle just to avoid the pain in the **** factor of suing for full whack, exchanging bullsh1t letters etc. Anyone on here got any advice?

Cheers dudes

Depends on the amount really, I would suggest anything over 500 quid is worth going for the whole lot.

i got a letter from mine on Friday saying they are gonna settle for £218 out of my claim for £758 as a gesture of goodwill. I'm gonna write back to em tonight to tell em to shove their goodwill up their a**e! Can see the ombudsman or the Court getting involved if i'm at all honest!

Depends on the amount really, I would suggest anything over 500 quid is worth going for the whole lot.

The shortfall between my figure and their offer is indeed about £500. I assume the banks have to think Deal or No Deal style before making their offer as it's precisely in that "can I really be arsed to take the risk and get nothing" vortex....

In any case, the missus has got wind of the money on the table and will probably have spent it by the time I get home tonight. :fury:

Sorry to be thick....

Are these just the costs of overdrafts etc that people are claiming back?

Could be overdraft charges, interest fees - all the usual stuff associated with bad bank account management. In my case it was usually just stupidity as I had money in other higher interest accounts but never moved it around quickly enough. It's basically the severity of the fees that are out of order (and arguably illegal) hence why the banks are coughing up....

I fel I'm missing out here, having (to my knowledge) never incurred so much as a penny of a penalty charge. :(

Barclays still haven't got back to me. I claimed for £750 about six weeks ago and they're yet to react. Concerning....

The shortfall between my figure and their offer is indeed about £500. I assume the banks have to think Deal or No Deal style before making their offer as it's precisely in that "can I really be arsed to take the risk and get nothing" vortex....

In any case, the missus has got wind of the money on the table and will probably have spent it by the time I get home tonight. :fury:

Personally I would politely decline and threaten the legal action, dependant on which bank it is, you may spend as much time chasing them up to deposit the lower amount they have offered.
Seriously it is worth playing hardball for 500 quid (think of it as your season ticket money)!

hmm, u have them where you want them

id go back and ask for more..

why??

well, if there offering you any money at all, that is an admission of guilt/wrong-doing, so why shouldnt you be entitled to the full amount back?

It's like a lottery that rewards financial incompetence.

What next? Cashback for speeding offences?

Not true, people are asking the Banks to justify penalty charges or pay them back...so far the banks havent done this.

hmm, u have them where you want them

id go back and ask for more..

why??

well, if there offering you any money at all, that is an admission of guilt/wrong-doing, so why shouldnt you be entitled to the full amount back?

I may be in a minority here but why should banks not charge you for effectively spending their money (unless of course you were charged as a result of the banks mistake)?

I'd much rather that the bank hadn't charged me in the first place.

"You're £2 overdrawn so we're charging you £20!"

*******s.

I may be in a minority here but why should banks not charge you for effectively spending their money (unless of course you were charged as a result of the banks mistake)?

I believe that they claimed that the £20/£30 was how much it cost them to write the letter. Someone has since proved that pressing 'print' on a template letter and inserting the name and address of the miscreant actually costs considerably less.

I believe that they claimed that the £20/£30 was how much it cost them to write the letter. Someone has since proved that pressing 'print' on a template letter and inserting the name and address of the miscreant actually costs considerably less.

Does sewing a (insert major fashion house) label into a cheap suit make a £700 price tag justifiable?

I got whacked £70 about 15-17 years ago when with the Nat West in Vic Avenue, Southend. Nick Alliker was the Asst. Manager at the time. As a result I closed the account down. Clobbered £35 for not having enough to cover a Direct Debit on the morning it went out - although paid the money in at 9.05 - then as a result a further clobbering of £35 for going overdrawn, because they had penalised me.

Now £70 in a high interest a/c over 17 years - that must be at least £72 by now. Think I might have to write.

Back