• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
Rumour has it Barker is not in Madrid and actually played for Hereford last night in a friendly....and scored.

Further rumours suggest he was told on Sunday he is not part of Brown's plans and is free to look for another club.

P1110020.JPG

Good luck to him. Good guy and good pro. Sadly he's past his peak and we need to free up some wages and space in the squad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not Barker's biggest fan, but surely we need players in before releasing anyone else!?!! Barker is a decent enough squad player.

Good news in my eyes - well past His peak and lacks pace of any sort
Probably earned a decent wage also which could be put to better use.

Would be a good move for him as his family are based in Wales still. An honest pro and put a shift in while he was here so can't complain.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not Barker's biggest fan, but surely we need players in before releasing anyone else!?!! Barker is a decent enough squad player.

We may need to release players before being able to get any in.

Sadly it doesn't work like that. Our squad capacity is limited (19 or 20 players) and so we can't register anyone else before we release someone. Also, we need to be sure that our wage bill is reduced by getting rid/paying off Barker.

Well that came as a surprise. He's been given his squad number too! Good news is Freddy can have back 23 ;)

I honestly didn't know where he fit into the side with us looking at so many left backs. But with Cresswell gone I thought he would be a regular.

The possible move for Bennett makes a little more sense now. Left or centre back, like for like replacement for Barker.

Why leave this sort of stuff to the last minute? Unless Hereford's interest came about around now. Only thing I can think of.

Well that came as a surprise. He's been given his squad number too! Good news is Freddy can have back 23 ;)

I honestly didn't know where he fit into the side with us looking at so many left backs. But with Cresswell gone I thought he would be a regular.

Freddy gave up 23 and opted for 10 in his last season so not sure he would want it.

Why leave this sort of stuff to the last minute? Unless Hereford's interest came about around now. Only thing I can think of.

Its hardly last minute, there will be plenty of movement up until the end of the season.

I'm not too disappointed tbh, as has been said before he is past his best and we need better. He was absolutely shocking at Wakering a couple of weeks ago! If he gets a club, good luck though!

Think this is a great move all round. He was a great player for us for the first two years but I think more and more he has become a passenger. I hope all works out for him as I really like him and he has been a great servant.

Makes room for Bennett too potentially which has got to be a good.

I'm sure Conference wingers are already terrified at the prospect of trying to outpace Barker down the flank.

Yes I take that jam but with the season so close now you#ll want some sort of cohesion developing with the new guys. In some ways I think the tour is late. Maybe there were no other other possible dates but travelling less than 2 weeks before kick off to me seems the gelling in thing will be too rushed, Then theres the embargo thing but then you can have a squad of up to 20. So if there are like for like moves in an ideal world you'd have hoped things would have been done sooner. I appreciate you can get away with this at Prem level as the standeard is that good but this is L2.

A good move for all parties if true in my opinion. He is past his best and unlikely to play a massive part next season. I'm sure he'll be on a decent wage here and this will hopefully free some wages up to sign Bennett and as already mentioned he's still based in Cardiff so he'd be a lot closer to his family.

A good pro who came to us right at the start of Sturrock's reign and always gave everything for the cause and of course skippered us very well. Thanks Chris and best of luck.

Wish him all the best if this is the case, model pro, decent man and has been an excellent club captain during his time here.

Back