• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seems like Luggy has faith that he can get fully fit and his form from his first season will return. He looked too heavy last season and his legs looked shot. Hopefully with a good pre-season he may improve, but he's not getting any younger.

Seems like Luggy has faith that he can get fully fit and his form from his first season will return. He looked too heavy last season and his legs looked shot. Hopefully with a good pre-season he may improve, but he's not getting any younger.

Agreed.

Maybe in future we should make sure we try and get players who do get younger.

I would hope we can get a quicker CB alongside Phillips, and Barker as a back up. Good to have around the club, and could play against teams who play with a slower target man as he has shown himself to be a good CB over past two years.

I wouldn't of kept him. Looked well past it in the second half of last season. Also would not have him as captain. Never motivates on the pitch.

Must trust Luggy,s judgement that Barker's mobility was hampered by niggling injuries and he can get back to his form of 10/11 season. He will be playing regularly not as back-up, as would not expect captaincy to be stripped, cannot have captain and vice-captain as non regular starters.

Agreed.

Maybe in future we should make sure we try and get players who do get younger.

It would be a blow to the youth team, though. None of them would ever become old enough for a professional contract. On balance, I think that it would be a good idea to stick to players who follow the natural life-cycle.

Still a class act on his day, hopefully him and Gilbert can sort out their niggling injury worries as on their day they are two of the best defenders in this division. Pace wise you do have to worry though as neither him or Phillips are the quickest. Of course we dont know if Phillips is staying yet.

Huge off-season for him then.

Let's hope it was the injury that was slowing him down and he can recover with a good rest over the summer. He'd clearly slowed down last season as was struggling to get to balls he'd have reached in his first year. The big concern to me was that he hadn't adjusted mentally to it. We've had a few players who've lost their pace who were fine central defenders for us - Spencer Prior and Rob Newman for example - but they'd all made that adjustment and come to terms with the fact that their legs weren't going to get to balls they once would have made. They were also both taller and better in the air to start with. Losing that spring in their jump was less of an issue for them as it is for a smaller centre-half.

Barks and MP played from Christmas onward when never fit; Baldwin would have been ideal to get them healed and sorted but obviously that didn't work out as hoped. I like both Barks and MP and when they are good they are sound defenders BUT definite cover needed, as for sure either or both, will get another injury in the coming season and LP or Bilel are not ready, steady replacements as starters or as a duo to play together. Barker would get into most teams 9if not all) in this division. I would like to see him do more captain stuff on the pitch however that is more natural for Bomber.

Quite pleased that he has signed. With another central defender signing and having Luke Prosser (and of course Moshni if need be), we should have enough cover to allow players to rest and recouperate. And we have stability from last season which will hopefully allow the team to get going from the 1st game of the season rather than after a couple of weeks have gone by .....

Keeping clean sheets and not conceding goals never gets the spotlight in the same way as goal scoring does - but for me, it is the foundation for a successful season.

he can be excellent, though i agree that his form dipped towards the end of the season. let's hope that he can get fit and back to his best because at his best he's as good as anyone in this division

I assume that means he's a certain starter and he'll retain the armband. Thought he struggled at times last season and think he'll find it hard going this...

He didn't seem all that last season unfortunately. Looked shakey and a bit of a liability at times. However, he can be good on his day, and he seems like a player you want in the dressing room.

Back