• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Barnet boss Darren Currie

I guess,

I dont recall in the past such a high percentage wanting to promote the u23 manager.

For the record fagan will get my full support if he is the new manager, just seems like we are aiming low a bit.

I guess,

I dont recall in the past such a high percentage wanting to promote the u23 manager.

For the record fagan will get my full support if he is the new manager, just seems like we are aiming low a bit.

The more I think I about it I slightly agree, cannot think of many other cases like this? Ricky Duncan maybe..?

We all keep saying Fagan fits cos he will know the youngsters but really just because Sol claimed he only had young players to use doesn’t mean that’s all he actually had.

We often had a bench of more experienced players than were starting and it was only the managers stubbornness to seemingly prove a point that led to many a starting 11.

In actual fact, arguably whoever is in charge, could possibly be fielding a side that had no one that Fagan has really worked with in the 23s at all....while we’re at it we could dispel the ‘young side’ tag too!!!

For example :-

Oxley (30)

Elvis (22) White (34) Lennon (25) Ralph (27)

Goodship (26) Dieng (28) demetriou (32) Barrett (25)

Kelman (19) Humphrys (23)

None of these were in Fagans 23s at all

Bench :

Hutchinson (20)
Kyprianou (23)
Klass (21)
Clifford (21)
Gard (21)
Emile (20)
Phillips (23)

none of these played any real 23s with Fagan either (except maybe Phillips), with klass, Emile and Clifford all on loan and Gard injured.

making up the rest of the match day squad would I guess come from Egbri Taylor Seadon MMN and Kinali who would all have played regularly for him but I don’t see any of those being regular starters ?

So Fagan, if it is him, may only be dipping into his ‘old’ u23s to rotate or cos of injuries?

I think appointing Fagan is a short term solution with the view to not being able to recruit ahead of next season as, until Ron finds the next treasure chest, is the current situation.

I think if we look towards Currie it feels more of a long term solution with someone who has managerial knowledge and a bit more player knowledge in the division below us which may help to strengthen ahead of next season.

I don't know enough about Fagan as a coach or as a man manager to say I want him to manage us. Of course, if he gets the gig I will back him but I think if our squad wasn't using as many younger players who he may have worked with before would he be down to the final 2?

If it’s Fagan then he’ll get nothing but my support. People in football talk highly of him and so do people at our club. I do have a nagging doubt though that this is the easy, cheapest option for Ron.. one in which he’s likely to take. I personally would prefer Currie purely because he has a bit more experience, he’s done well at a club in similar circumstances than our own in terms of off field struggles and he had a young Barnet team playing well, albeit at a level below us but he still had them well organised, performing well for their level.

I like the look of currie a proper young manager with experience i think we would hopefully stay up and anything above half way would be a big success

The delay is probably Ron looking at the slightly higher wages DC would expect over the cheaper Fagan and going back and forth in his mind about more ambitious vs cheaper.

FWIW I’d be very happy with either.

Currie, is not quite as young as people think. he is actually 45 years old and 3 months older than Sol. What he ihas got is playing experience at most levels and limited time as a manager. Personally, I don't think he would be a bad fit, but I would prefer Craig Fagan.

Part of the reason why the bench was strong toward the end was possibly fitness and a need to prevent appearance clauses being triggered, to extend contracts.

Craig Fagan , may well be a cheap option, but we are hardly in a position to splash the cash , that is what got us into this mess in the first place !!

If this Sky Sports News report is accurate, the short-list looks really positive. Both Craig Fagan and Darren Currie appear to be really strong candidates. Currie has a bit more managerial experience at Barnet but Fagan looks exceptionally promising. Time for tough decision-making by the Chairman and the Board.

Happy with either, but can some one clear up if Currie applied for the job or if we approached him as his contract was up at Barnet

If this Sky Sports News report is accurate, the short-list looks really positive. Both Craig Fagan and Darren Currie appear to be really strong candidates. Currie has a bit more managerial experience at Barnet but Fagan looks exceptionally promising. Time for tough decision-making by the Chairman and the Board.
Lets hope Ron gets it right this time .

We do need to prepare for a worst-case scenario and that is relegation to the National League, some may think that's pessimistic, I think it's realistic. Currie offers that bit more experience of already managing a team at the level should the worst happen. But for League 2 it would seem a good transition for him if rumours are true that he lives in the area and again has experience of working with a limited budget and getting the team punching above their weight

The appointment of Currie would actually show me there is a long term plan for once and we aren't going for a paper over the cracks appointment

We do need to prepare for a worst-case scenario and that is relegation to the National League, some may think that's pessimistic, I think it's realistic. Currie offers that bit more experience of already managing a team at the level should the worst happen. But for League 2 it would seem a good transition for him if rumours are true that he lives in the area and again has experience of working with a limited budget and getting the team punching above their weight

The appointment of Currie would actually show me there is a long term plan for once and we aren't going for a paper over the cracks appointment
Sadly there has not been a long term plan at Roots Hall for years .

Back