• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Barnet boss Darren Currie

Don't think DC is in the bag yet......Which is probably why there has been a delay.....Could still be Fagan

Makes one wonder if Darren Currie is that keen to manage Southend if it takes so long to get him over the line?

As someone said a couple of days ago, it would be such an underwhelming appointment niw if it were Fagan purely for the fact it's taken this long to effectively promoted him. So much time wasted by the club.

I get your point, but the issue lies with the man who takes an age to hire managers.

IF it were Fagan, it certainly shouldn’t be looked upon as an underwhelming appointment. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I get your point, but the issue lies with the man who takes an age to hire managers.

IF it were Fagan, it certainly shouldn’t be looked upon as an underwhelming appointment. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I'd be fully supportive of Fagan, it's just frustrating that it's taken this long to appoint someone who is already at the club.

I'd be fully supportive of Fagan, it's just frustrating that it's taken this long to appoint someone who is already at the club.

Absolutely.

I have no inside knowledge of this, but I would hazard a guess that Ron is reluctant to appoint Fagan for whatever reason, and has been chasing others.

If his other options fall through, then Fagan will get the shout.

Sound familiar?

?

Absolutely.

I have no inside knowledge of this, but I would hazard a guess that Ron is reluctant to appoint Fagan for whatever reason, and has been chasing others.

Sound familiar?

?

Agree but maybe the word reluctant is misleading.....If Fagan is doing such a great job with the 23's and popular with the youth, then Ron may be 'reluctant' to promote him as he then needs a new 23's manager aswell

Its the same as people wanting Ricky D as DOF.....If you have one of the best plumbers you can find, why ask him to do the electrics?

I read all this as Currie first choice but if whatever one of the dozens of reasons stop it from happening. Then its Fagan.

None of us have considered someone else also making Currie and offer.

Absolutely.

Sound familiar?

?
Reading between the lines it does appear to me that Currie is Ron's first choice and consequently the delay is trying to get him over the line. If he doesn't manage it then Fagan will probably get the nod. Yes, there are of course similarities between this and the last managerial shenanigans, where Ron failed to get his Swedish N°1 and had to settle for SC. Yet I feel the choice is happily rather closer this time. If Ron fails to land Currie I just get the feeling (I'm not in the know) that Fagan would be his rather more enthusiastic second choice. Of course the big question is, if Currie does get the job, where does that leave Fagan???

Makes one wonder if Darren Currie is that keen to manage Southend if it takes so long to get him over the line?

The embargo situation must be a consideration for any potential manager, despite Ron's undoubted assurances that it will be sorted out.

Agree but maybe the word reluctant is misleading.....If Fagan is doing such a great job with the 23's and popular with the youth, then Ron may be 'reluctant' to promote him as he then needs a new 23's manager aswell

Its the same as people wanting Ricky D as DOF.....If you have one of the best plumbers you can find, why ask him to do the electrics?

I read all this as Currie first choice but if whatever one of the dozens of reasons stop it from happening. Then its Fagan.

Fair point actually.

Yes, Currie has impressed a number of clubs and not just Southend. Also I think the point raised by Chrisb concerning the embargo is an important one. Why would a promising manager like Currie join Southend when there is no clarity that the club will get the embargo lifted. It won't be lost on the Barnet manager that he could be walking into a no-win situation where he cannot bring his own players in and will get judged on the basis.

What I don't understand is who is making the decision on the players we are giving contracts to. As great and positive it is to see these young lads sign new or first contracts they are a drain on the wage bill so if the new manager is given a transfer kitty of sorts then surely they should have a say on who signs pro contracts. What if these younger kids don't progress but as a result of being signed by whoever prevent the new manager from bringing in new players as there is no wage budget. I'm not saying I'm unhappy with these lads. The likes of Gard, Phillips, Clifford deserve their contracts but who decides that they are offered in the first place with no manager to decide

For a variety of debts. We'd have had other bills since we failed to pay HMRC.
It could be for more than one debt, but i believe the statement made a while back was that it was due to HMRC, I am not aware of anything from the FA saying we are under an embargo for failing to pay player salaries or other debts etc, we could be dont get me wrong but I don’t remember anything being mentioned or stated

I cannot remember a case (and I am sure there are some) of teams having embargoes for anything other than HMRC debts or FFP breaches, and I am sure we would have heard if we had breached FFP.

We are probably all a bit wonky on this, but when he first signed for us from Watford in 2016 it was as a left back. He moved to centre back when we had a CB shortage did ok and then had his horrific injury. Bottom line he can play in both positions. Personally I thought he lacked the height to be a permanent CB.

Makes sense. Do we know where he is with his injury? I seem to remember him being on the bench for last couple of games of last season but I could be completely making that up.

Back