• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Barnet boss Darren Currie

Interesting snippet on the Barnet official site from March. It appears Currie’s contract was terminated and he’s seeing out a long notice period.

Both Darren and Junior are under contract but have long notice periods and we have activated these clauses. There is no doubt they have improved the team’s results of late and we will discuss what the next steps are likely to be and hopefully agree a way forward once we know the outcome of this season.

My guess is that will be 6 months’ notice. That would expire during the first week of next season, although Barnet would likely let him go sooner as they’ll want his replacement in place.

He is a quality manager but bear in mind Barnet are very big spenders at that level. Even in League 2, they had one of the largest playing budgets.

He is a quality manager but bear in mind Barnet are very big spenders at that level. Even in League 2, they had one of the largest playing budgets.

I’d change that “are” to “were”. He’ll be facing a pay cut and squad reduction if he stays. With the parachute payments coming to an end plus playing behind closed doors slashing revenue it seems a natural time for him to seek a move.

Did he apply last time or did we approach him?

His assistant is former Peter Taylor favourite Junior Lewis. He’s also serving out his notice.

Given that we terminated our entire first team staff, one would assume he’d be accompanying him if Currie gets the nod.

With Ron’s lack of urgency in making the appointment coinciding with Barnet concluding the play-offs, it all seems to tie up neatly.

Reactions: GNH
Despite all of the views, as we know with any appointment of individuals in or out of football you can’t guarantee success (would be interesting to see over time the fans polls about new managers v how it turned out). However Mr Currie feels the most exciting (and feasible) prospect for me. Some people on twitter still saying to CP that we should be persuading the Cowleys to come ?

Interesting snippet on the Barnet official site from March. It appears Currie’s contract was terminated and he’s seeing out a long notice period.

My guess is that will be 6 months’ notice. That would expire during the first week of next season, although Barnet would likely let him go sooner as they’ll want his replacement in place.

I was under the impression that he was served (along with the rest of Barnet's employees) with a notice of redundancy, which stops short of termination, right? I'm guessing Barnet could reverse their decision and withdraw that notice if they choose, and their Chairman was quoted as saying that Currie's notice period meant he'd stay until "at least" the end of the season and "possibly beyond".

I was under the impression that he was served (along with the rest of Barnet's employees) with a notice of redundancy, which stops short of termination, right? I'm guessing Barnet could reverse their decision and withdraw that notice if they choose, and their Chairman was quoted as saying that Currie's notice period meant he'd stay until "at least" the end of the season and "possibly beyond".

Technically, I don't think he can be made redundant as the manager's role will still exist afterwards but it's probably not a meaningful distinction here. My reading of that extract from the Barnet official site was that he'd been served notice to terminate his employment but that notice period would take him past the end of the season, at which point the chairman would discuss the way forward and maybe agree a new contract (probably on reduced wages).

Sounded out the one Barnet ST holder that I know and he says:

“yeah i’d love to keep Currie but he would be a great manager for you!”

The more I'm hearing about Currie, the more I'd welcome his appointment. Although Barnet didn't show up yesterday, Currie has had his team playing attractive football all season.
I like the fact that he'll have good knowledge of the non league scene. John Still will be in his ear recommending players to him as well which can only help.
Throw in the the fact that he sounds like a really decent guy who has built a good bond with both players and supporters then this could be a very good appointment.
Couldn’t agree more. Whilst we do need a charismatic & ambitious manager we also need one who operates at our level, knows the leagues & players, & has experience of managing first team players. He’d certainly be a good candidate.

The suggestion an 'invested' candidate is better than a detached boss like Campbell is equally suspect.
For us, it's been hit and miss.
For every Steve Tilson, there has been a Paul Clark, Alan Little, Peter Taylor and Chris m'boy.
Sturrock? Had nil connection with Blues before arrival, but made a magnificent fist when asked to knit with fog.
Webby may have lived in Southend eventually, but he was an east-end boy.
However, one thing he did tell me was the need to snaffle local talent:
"If you can't build a squad from inside the M25, you ain't trying.'
Shall I send that to Kevin (Australia, Ireland, Timbukto will do) Bond?

Outrageous - Paul Clark was a brilliant manager for us.

He picked up the pieces when Webby walked out and his gargantuan efforts enabled us to beat a superb Wolves side to promotion.

He was then unfairly ditched for the hopeless Bate but was given the job back after we had amassed two points from our first eight games. We immediately stuffed Derby in the League Cup (well done Roy) and he miraculously saved us from relegation on the final day when we trounced Blackpool 4-0.

Amongst others he signed David Crown, Peter Butler and Paul Sansome.

He was undermined by Jobson early in the next season when Webby 'turned up' at the Bristol City cup match and despite subsequent away wins at Chester (4-2) and Sheffield United (2-1 in his last game) he was unfairly replaced with Webb.

No doubt if Clarky had replaced Bond after eight games he would have made a better fist of trying to keep us up than Campbell.

Has currie actually applied or are we chasing him. If so, then it's a different dynamic to the rest.

Outrageous - Paul Clark was a brilliant manager for us.

He picked up the pieces when Webby walked out and his gargantuan efforts enabled us to beat a superb Wolves side to promotion.

He was then unfairly ditched for the hopeless Bate but was given the job back after we had amassed two points from our first eight games. We immediately stuffed Derby in the League Cup (well done Roy) and he miraculously saved us from relegation on the final day when we trounced Blackpool 4-0.

Amongst others he signed David Crown, Peter Butler and Paul Sansome.

He was undermined by Jobson early in the next season when Webby 'turned up' at the Bristol City cup match and despite subsequent away wins at Chester (4-2) and Sheffield United (2-1 in his last game) he was unfairly replaced with Webb.

No doubt if Clarky had replaced Bond after eight games he would have made a better fist of trying to keep us up than Campbell.
Yes, well argued.
That's two from the last five who had connections with us before getting the job.
My argument holds that holding the club dear doesn't often produce the goods.

My son and Darren Currie's son played for the same Leigh Ramblers team up until the end of last season when he moved away from Leigh. I chatted football with him several times; he's a really nice bloke with good ideas and I think he'd be well worth a punt for us.

Technically, I don't think he can be made redundant as the manager's role will still exist afterwards but it's probably not a meaningful distinction here. My reading of that extract from the Barnet official site was that he'd been served notice to terminate his employment but that notice period would take him past the end of the season, at which point the chairman would discuss the way forward and maybe agree a new contract (probably on reduced wages).

Chatted again with the Barnet ST holder and he says that this was at the beginning of lockdown when they were worried about going bust. He is of the opinion that Barnet would be expecting him to stay for next season.

Back