• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Barnet boss Darren Currie

I would be really happy with that!
Would mean we get a manager with some experience but also give Fagan a promotion and a position where he can learn more about first team management.

Only concern would be if Currie wanted to bring his current assistant Junior Lewis with him however didn't Powell have two assistant managers as opposed to an assistant and a coach?

Currie with Fagan assistant
This has been a rumbling idea since Darren Currie first came in to our thinking. Speaking to a Barnet mate, he thinks Currie would bring his own number 2, Junior Lewis. If he could be tempted to make it work - and no reason to think it couldn't - I think there's a potential dream team in it. I suppose the question would come down to loyalty if Currie has a great working relationship.

That said, while I am a big fan of Fagan (admittedly based off his U23 reputation and one TV interview where he came across superbly) I don't see a huge number of options for Fagan to step up elsewhere at the moment, so keeping him in his current role could and should still be an option, albeit he will obviously be disappointed.

This has been a rumbling idea since Darren Currie first came in to our thinking. Speaking to a Barnet mate, he thinks Currie would bring his own number 2, Junior Lewis. If he could be tempted to make it work - and no reason to think it couldn't - I think there's a potential dream team in it. I suppose the question would come down to loyalty if Currie has a great working relationship.
Most managers will always prefer to bring in their own team, especially when it comes to assistant managers. Mind you, the exception to that occurred with Phil Brown and Graham Coughlan. But I would still be amazed if its a Currie/Fagan partnership. I also think that should Fagan not get an upward hike, it won't be long before he moves on. It's all about ambition and expectation.

Most managers will always prefer to bring in their own team, especially when it comes to assistant managers. Mind you, the exception to that occurred with Phil Brown and Graham Coughlan. But I would still be amazed if its a Currie/Fagan partnership. I also think that should Fagan not get an upward hike, it won't be long before he moves on. It's all about ambition and expectation.
Yep, definitely agree on that. Thing is, if Fagan isn't getting a crack here at Southend where he has some strengths, I just don't see many other club management roles opening up instead. I'd question whether we'd be more likely to lose him to another development role.

Great that we do at least have a couple of candidates our fan base seems to be comfortable with.

Better than the last two options of Henrik Larsson and Sol Campbell.

That’s a Football Manager players dream.

Currie and his assistant and perhaps fagan departs to pastures new? Wouldnt be the end of the world for me. Perhaps im being harsh but there is no stress as under 23 boss, and im pretty sure any new manager could watch 3 or 4 under 23 games and work out who can cut the mustard.

Currie and his assistant and perhaps fagan departs to pastures new? Wouldnt be the end of the world for me. Perhaps im being harsh but there is no stress as under 23 boss, and im pretty sure any new manager could watch 3 or 4 under 23 games and work out who can cut the mustard.
But it's not just a case of a new manager watching 3/4 games though is it? The whole Academy set-up relies on a dedicated team nurturing the youngsters, getting them prepared to step up when required and weeding out those that won't make the grade. Those involved have a full time job producing our next generation and the U23 manager is pivotal to that set up.

But it's not just a case of a new manager watching 3/4 games though is it? The whole Academy set-up relies on a dedicated team nurturing the youngsters, getting them prepared to step up when required and weeding out those that won't make the grade. Those involved have a full time job producing our next generation and the U23 manager is pivotal to that set up.
Appreciate that, and im sure hes doing a good job. but it was running fine before Fagan. I guess im saying u23 managers cant be that hard to come by., and i wouldnt lose any sleep over it if he went.

The issue isn't that any new manager couldn't watch 3 or 4 u23 games and work out who cuts the mustard but rather by the time the manager has watched 3 or 4 u23 games he's already signed someone else to play that role.

The alternative is that we don't sign anyone before the season kicks off and we're scrambling around on transfer deadline day when we realise that some of the kids aren't remotely up to it and desperately trying to attract new players to a club by now bottom of the entire football league.

We therefore need some continuity. Otherwise we're doomed to repeat last year.

Great that we do at least have a couple of candidates our fan base seems to be comfortable with.
This is so important IMO. Whoever gets this will need our backing from day 1. If the atmosphere is toxic from the start then I really do worry about our status as a league club

The issue isn't that any new manager couldn't watch 3 or 4 u23 games and work out who cuts the mustard but rather by the time the manager has watched 3 or 4 u23 games he's already signed someone else to play that role.

The alternative is that we don't sign anyone before the season kicks off and we're scrambling around on transfer deadline day when we realise that some of the kids aren't remotely up to it and desperately trying to attract new players to a club by now bottom of the entire football league.

We therefore need some continuity. Otherwise we're doomed to repeat last year.

absolutely spot on, with a squad that will mainly be made up of our u23 team from last year the knowledge of these players is key, for example we all think we need a big target man up front, does Fagan expect Acquah to be able to step up to this and only need someone to help nurture him so a veteran player like Fortune would be ideal.

For me Fagan also fits as a "name" that we all know Ron likes, much more so than Currie anyway.

Yeah perhaps, still think a good manager would come in and do his own thing regarding selection his team, and system.
And if he cant sign anyone anyway as we are skint, what does it matter, hes gonna have to throw them all out on the pitch like sol did.

I guess i dont really see this massive fagan love in and the need to promote him just cos he knows the youth.

Last edited:
Yeah perhaps, still think a good manager would come in and do his own thing regarding selection and his system, and if he cant sign anyone what does it matter hes gonna have to throw them all out on the pitch like sol did.

I guess i dont really see this fagan love in.

I do not necessarily think its a "Love in". More to do with the fact of our current situation and Craig being an appointment that makes sense (Young, knows the club, highly rated etc..)

Back