• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
A win tonight and we are in the playoffs for sure. Normally a cause for celebration, but things seem a little flat to me given that three months ago today we were sitting proudly at the top of the League and very short odds for automatic promotion.
Who wouldn't have taken our current situation at the start of the season ? Who would have taken it three months ago?

Anyway, the referee for tonight's match is Graham Scott from Abingdon in Oxfordshire. He is in his 4th season as a Football League referee and makes his fourth visit to Roots Hall. (It would be his fifth, but the second didn't happen due to the appropriately Antarctic weather at the time.)

The first visit was the home JPT defeat by Orient in 2008/9. He has since done an away match at Gillingham - the Easter defeat in 2009/10 and then, more recently, this season's home game against Morecambe (a red card for Jevons and 2 yellows for them). Finally, he oversaw our abject performance in the home debacle against Bradford City ... so we're overdue a win with him.

He is getting good appointments including televised games, but his card count has rocketed this season with a massive 126 yellows and 9 reds from 36 matches. Certainly when I've seen him he has seemed a little over eager to reach for his cards, but his decisions were more right than wrong.

Assistants are two Roots Hall regulars, Carl Fitch, the ginger-haired school teacher from Ipswich and Wade Norcott from Harlow. The fourth official sees the replacement of Gary Evetts by Lee Betts from Great Yarmouth.

It is to be hoped that Mr Scott doesn't feel compelled to referee in the style of his assessor for the evening, the infamous Kelvin Morton from Bury St Edmunds. This man's refereeing career was littered with condemnation and controversy. The man who awarded 5 penalties in one match (not necessarily wrong per se) and in another game, when reaching into his pocket for a card to show a, I think, Charlton player, he instead flourished his handkerchief!

Morton also I recall awarded 3 pens in a match at the Hall vs Charlton. We scored our (Dean Austin) they missed both of theirs.

That was the only time Curbishley was ever "sent to the stands". You had to go through the bar and Webby met him on the way up and they had a drink together whilst the game was going on !

Not a single booking tonight.. 6 subs and only 3 mins injury time.
Ben Clarkson didnt even get his badly needed exercise
Credit to both sides tonight

Think he'd forgotten his cards as there were a few challenges I thought deserving of a booking!

Not a single booking tonight.. 6 subs and only 3 mins injury time.
Ben Clarkson didnt even get his badly needed exercise
Credit to both sides tonight

Not a bad challenge in the whole game and that will have been his easiest match of the season. Not even a hint of a card and rightly so. It helps when the match is over as a contest so early.

Not a bad challenge in the whole game and that will have been his easiest match of the season. Not even a hint of a card and rightly so. It helps when the match is over as a contest so early.

Except the deliberate shirt tug on Harris after he'd superbly beaten the full back in the second half on the East stand sideline - I thought that was a mandatory yellow.

We said in the blacks that he let the game flow, didn't constant blow his whistle at little fouls like 95% do but should have booked 1 or 2. One of the better refs on that showing ...

Then I hope his assessment includes a very late tackle on Bilel too in the second half near the S East corner of the pitch which was a yellow IMHO...........

Back