• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mrsblue

Banned
Lee must have funny pictures of Phil in order for him to get pitch time?

Yesterday was either Lee's 19th or 20th appearance and still no goal from open play!,How much longer can this farce continue for?.

Jason Williams must be thinking 'give me a chance gaffer I won't let you down' !

Who at the club wanted Lee back?,Is there a clause in the deal stating whatever occurs Lee must get pitch time?

IF this club is serious about promotion then sadly IMO both Lee and Corr must be consigned to the bench or beyond and then only selected on merit.

4 games in and we are already 5 points from the leader and we are the lowest scorers in the top half,Dare I say it but the clock is ticking for Phil IMHO.

Not easy to get quality strikers but agree and sadly we all knew at the end of last season that Corr and Lee will not get enough goals to gain promotion.
Corr was poor yesterday, he has no pace and his only good work was in pressing their midfield but he is a striker and apart from a good shot on the volley yesterday, he never threatened to score or worse set up anybody else.
Lee Barnard is a sad sight these days, not the player he was in his first spell where he popped goals in for fun in the penalty box. Fans were elated mostly on his return but I suspect injuries have taken a toll and he is no longer a threat.
I wonder if Brown will change anything, he constantly talks of changes but usually sticks with the same players. To be fair, there are not too many in the squad that will push Barnard.
Finally, surely Weston needs to be in the middle not stuck on the wing where is threat is limited.

Not easy to get quality strikers but agree and sadly we all knew at the end of last season that Corr and Lee will not get enough goals to gain promotion.
Corr was poor yesterday, he has no pace and his only good work was in pressing their midfield but he is a striker and apart from a good shot on the volley yesterday, he never threatened to score or worse set up anybody else.
Lee Barnard is a sad sight these days, not the player he was in his first spell where he popped goals in for fun in the penalty box. Fans were elated mostly on his return but I suspect injuries have taken a toll and he is no longer a threat.
I wonder if Brown will change anything, he constantly talks of changes but usually sticks with the same players. To be fair, there are not too many in the squad that will push Barnard.
Finally, surely Weston needs to be in the middle not stuck on the wing where is threat is limited.

Weston out wide would be decent if the main striker was able to get himself into the box!

The goal drought has become tiresome as Phil either cannot or won't change it?,The last 50 league games this team in 37 of those games have either scored 0 or once which is shocking considering Accrington have managed this feat 34 times !

Some on here will say "it's only 4 games in " yet in my eyes every team requires a lift from seeing goals aplenty flying in at the opponents end and sadly with our current forwards they maybe waiting a long time?.

Phil IMO must give others a bash at it before we become detached from the leaders.

Weston out wide would be decent if the main striker was able to get himself into the box!

The goal drought has become tiresome as Phil either cannot or won't change it?,The last 50 league games this team in 37 of those games have either scored 0 or once which is shocking considering Accrington have managed this feat 34 times !

Some on here will say "it's only 4 games in " yet in my eyes every team requires a lift from seeing goals aplenty flying in at the opponents end and sadly with our current forwards they maybe waiting a long time?.

Phil IMO must give others a bash at it before we become detached from the leaders.

I am not a Corr fan but he can do a limited job for this level and Barnard looks brighter and could have an impact. Sadly neither of them are having the game played in a way that suits their game. That does not make them poor strikers but it does throw a question up, again, about the lack of savvy PB has with regard goalscoring.

We currently have Hurst, leonard and Clifford who all shoot far too often. Each time they shoot it is an opportunity spurned to give delivery to an attacker who is paid to do the scoring. Corr is too deep and Barnard is rarely looked for or found by the rest of the team.

Coulthirst may well turn into something useful but unless he finds the net, cue quotes about Tomlin taking time, we do not need a show pony. With his pace he may fare better as an impact sub until his scoring boots are located.

Weston is I think a good player that can score a few but its the fact he can score a few and not a load that makes him best used as a winger and not an out and out striker.

People point to JW's assists last season which was not that great a number and yes he does the basic defending fairly well. Put pace against him and he is stuffed. He is probably one of the most overrated in our team. Get rid.

For all our faults we only have to be better than most in our league which on our day we probably are. Its early days this season but either a) For once sort things out up front before it is again too late or b) lets all have a whip round and contribute to PB's wages at Crystal Palace so they want him and we can get a manager capable of seeing the problems and making the changes before another 14 game winless run.

We've done this one many times already. It isn't about players, it's about systems. Brown sends us out as a well organised unit and one thing we're very good at is sticking to our shape and our game plan - that's why overall we don't concede many. But it also stifles a bit of creativity.

The main striker at Southend will never score a bagful because under the current system he spends most of his time with his back to goal, doing the donkey work. You could have a more free flowing system which would deliver more chances and goals, but it would leave us more open at the back too. Barry Corr's best goal scoring season was his first - when he had Blair Sturrock along side him doing the donkey work, leaving him to face goal.

Theres nothing wrong with Corr or Barnard or the system. I listened to the game on BBC Cumbria yesterday and although they were supposed to be talking up Carlisle they spent half the game saying what a solid side Southend looked and in particular how they would have Clifford and Leonard off us in a heartbeat. Brown thinks this will get us out of the league. If you want a top scorer that bags 20, and more Barry Fry- esqe football, the change you need to make is the manager. I'm not advocating this because (and I never thought I'd say this) I think Brown is doing a decent job.

We've done this one many times already. It isn't about players, it's about systems. Brown sends us out as a well organised unit and one thing we're very good at is sticking to our shape and our game plan - that's why overall we don't concede many. But it also stifles a bit of creativity.

The main striker at Southend will never score a bagful because under the current system he spends most of his time with his back to goal, doing the donkey work. You could have a more free flowing system which would deliver more chances and goals, but it would leave us more open at the back too. Barry Corr's best goal scoring season was his first - when he had Blair Sturrock along side him doing the donkey work, leaving him to face goal.

Theres nothing wrong with Corr or Barnard or the system. I listened to the game on BBC Cumbria yesterday and although they were supposed to be talking up Carlisle they spent half the game saying what a solid side Southend looked and in particular how they would have Clifford and Leonard off us in a heartbeat. Brown thinks this will get us out of the league. If you want a top scorer that bags 20, and more Barry Fry- esqe football, the change you need to make is the manager. I'm not advocating this because (and I never thought I'd say this) I think Brown is doing a decent job.

Being fair,
Phil's system failed at Wembley it then failed for the remainder of that season it then failed last season and this season the writing again is on the wall.

The best form of defence is to attack IMHO.

I think we are more offensive this season but still aren't putting the goals away. If you look at the Wimbledon game where we created a ton of opportunities but didn't take any.

I have not been impressed at all by coulthurst and he appears a lazy footballer in that he rarely tracks back and bottles tackles coupled with really poor finishing and poor descision making.

Would much rather see Weston ahead of corr and worell and Hurst out wide.

We also look more like to concede this year than last.

It needs to be addressed and quickly.

Massive difference between this season and last is the fact we are creating so many chances....thats a big positive. ...but we are not converting them.....need that special goal scorer......just like every football team on the planet, not always easy to find.

Barney was really unlucky not to score on Tuesday night. I don't have any problem with the likes of Clifford and Lenny shooting from distance...blimey, it was only a few seasons ago we were all moaning that no-one seemed to know HOW to shoot from distance!!!

Seems we are far too quick to criticise...we're only 4 games in and people are getting on players' backs already.

Barney was really unlucky not to score on Tuesday night. I don't have any problem with the likes of Clifford and Lenny shooting from distance...blimey, it was only a few seasons ago we were all moaning that no-one seemed to know HOW to shoot from distance!!!

Seems we are far too quick to criticise...we're only 4 games in and people are getting on players' backs already.

This. For goodness sake even for this site this is pathetic. Brown out? are you serious???

I have not been impressed at all by coulthurst and he appears a lazy footballer in that he rarely tracks back and bottles tackles coupled with really poor finishing and poor descision making.

From the 2 matches I saw then I would agree, but I do think he will come good.

I don't expect him to be dropped from what I heard last week!

This is why I love this forum, always good for a laugh! Thanks again mrsblue, you've managed to put a big smile on my face! :hilarious:

Lee must have funny pictures of Phil in order for him to get pitch time?

Yesterday was either Lee's 19th or 20th appearance and still no goal from open play!,How much longer can this farce continue for?.

Jason Williams must be thinking 'give me a chance gaffer I won't let you down' !

Who at the club wanted Lee back?,Is there a clause in the deal stating whatever occurs Lee must get pitch time?

IF this club is serious about promotion then sadly IMO both Lee and Corr must be consigned to the bench or beyond and then only selected on merit.

4 games in and we are already 5 points from the leader and we are the lowest scorers in the top half,Dare I say it but the clock is ticking for Phil IMHO.
I'm not a big fan of Bill Murray

While I would love us to have won the league by the time we have played our third game at home, I live in the hopes that a steady but consistent start is better than romping away from the start line but running out of steam by january. In Phil I have to trust.

Personally not calling for Phil's head just yet but he IMO now needs to get his act together in order his team can push on.

Remember Phil's only success in management was with Hull which was excellent for him and them yet since then his managerial career has come off the rails and sadly in my mind his tactics are ancient and appear to want 1 0 victories which is tedious and sadly rarely work.

Do you want Phil to go gung-ho and try to score as many as possible?

Enlighten us please.

Personally not calling for Phil's head just yet but he IMO now needs to get his act together in order his team can push on.

Remember Phil's only success in management was with Hull which was excellent for him and them yet since then his managerial career has come off the rails and sadly in my mind his tactics are ancient and appear to want 1 0 victories which is tedious and sadly rarely work.

Doesn't seem to have done Chelsea too much harm though, does it?

Back