• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnsley 1 Southend United 0

Ok... So here is my iFollow view of today's games

First half... Apart from the one clear chance that Moore had in the first half that Oxley came off of his line to thwaught I believe we coped with their front 2 well. We bossed the midfield with many Barnsley passes going astray and the midfield created some great counter attacking moves that could have led to a more positive scoreline.

HT - happy with a clean sheet and overall performance.

Second half - Barnsley were never going to have as poor of a second performance as they did in the first. Not sure what people who said we had negative tactics in the second half were watching. Moore was more of a nuisance and their substitutions livened them up where as our initial ones more about consolidation. I still felt that our midfield were more solid than theirs. The home fans were not happy overall with the performance that their Top 4 side were delivering. I was however happy with what we're had delivered. They were always going to be a threat at corners due to Moore. His goal scoring abilities iare not new to us. He was our undoing yet again. But considering the formation options and personnel that CP had available today we went toe to toe with a Top 4 team and got knocked out in the final round.

To summarize this performance on the back of a Sunderland performance where we showed that we can be a match for some of the favorurites in this division gives me faith that earlier performances that led to defeats are now behind us... Luton away was one of those.
I’m not sure what game you were watching if you missed us taking a minute to take every throw in and goal kick and generally sitting back more than the first half. If timewasting at 0-0 isn’t a negative tactic then I don’t know what is.

Why oh why is it everybody’s fault except Powell with our inept performances? He picks the team, he decides on the tactics, he decides the formation! We have a deep lying forward who plays so far from the goals he could take goal kicks. Then when we eventually go a goal or 2 behind CP brings on 2 speed merchants in Robinson & McCoulsky who may be the quickest players in our team but week in and week out we don’t use their strengths and we also don’t play any wingers but rely on full backs to supply the crosses which in my opinion doesn't work. I am conscious of our injury problems which doesn’t help us but playing a 4 5 1 formation appears not to work for us and if it unsettles the opposition they tweak their formations at half time to combat it. 4 5 1 didn’t work under Brown and look what happened to him. For me, 4 4 2 with 2 wingers but what do I know?

A game of two halves. First half, we were bright, breezy and went at them. Moore found himself a little channel to work his overlaps in, we passed the ball crisply but didn't create that much. Bunn should have hit the target, at least, in the first five minutes but screwed his shot wide. That was our best opportunity. For all our first half dominance, Barnsley had the best chance when their forward hit a shot just wide of the post.

Second half was much the same, but with Barnsley setting the pace. However, Oxley wasn't really called into action, although the bar was. Twice. Second time, should really have been a goal and at that point you felt the game was destined to finish 0-0.

However, once again, we managed to concede from a corner. Once again we managed to concede a point costing goal in the last five minutes. When will we learn?

All in all, a disappointing result but we probably did enough to earn a point. It's clear that we are going to desperately miss Hopper up front, and unless there is a dramatic change of tactics, it looks to be that way until CP can bring a new face in come January.

Grr, didn't take our chances in the first half and ended up perhaps deservedly losing after Barnsley had hit the crossbar twice.

Got to play two strikers at home, let's stop being so pensive and try our best to score some goals. The question for me is who partners Cox, Theo or McCoulsky?

Grr, didn't take our chances in the first half and ended up perhaps deservedly losing after Barnsley had hit the crossbar twice.

Got to play two strikers at home, let's stop being so pensive and try our best to score some goals. The question for me is who partners Cox, Theo or McCoulsky?
or Ba ,WABO OR ANY OFF THE YOUTH STRIKERS WHO ARE SCORING GOALS FOR FUN AT PRESENT,Its a dilemma to which SCP has to find an answer and soon before playoffs become out of reach,

I’m not sure what game you were watching if you missed us taking a minute to take every throw in and goal kick and generally sitting back more than the first half. If timewasting at 0-0 isn’t a negative tactic then I don’t know what is.

It's called "game management ".... If you'd have offered me a point away at a top four side before kick off and a clean sheet when the opposition has a clinical striker in front of goal who has a good record against us in the past, I would have taken it. Wouldn't you?

or Ba ,WABO OR ANY OFF THE YOUTH STRIKERS WHO ARE SCORING GOALS FOR FUN AT PRESENT,Its a dilemma to which SCP has to find an answer and soon before playoffs become out of reach,

Its a huge step up from youth football to L1 football. I doubt very much the SCP has seen anything in any of the youth strikers to convince him the are the answer

I couldn't listen to the game because of work. The highlights seemed balanced, the stats on the other hand do not. Good to see Ted and Kyprianou both on the bench again.

How did Hendrie play?

Did McCoulsky do anything of note when he came on? I don't see what good bringing both him and Theo on would do, they're too similar.

Its a huge step up from youth football to L1 football. I doubt very much the SCP has seen anything in any of the youth strikers to convince him the are the answer

Indeed, so why do we get youth players in on loan then?

None of them have added anything to our side particularly and have restricted the opportunities of some of our own players, IMHO.

None of them have added anything to our side particularly and have restricted the opportunities of some of our own players, IMHO.

I would imagine the view is that youths from higher divisions should perform better than our youths.

I do think that McLousky is better than Wabo etc though I would like to see Ba given some game time. He is one of the younger ones who looks like he could offer something.

It’s not always the youths that aren’t good enough, Yearwood being an obvious exception to the rule, as was Bentley and Payne

We have to trust the management team at the end of the day

Last edited:

We haven’t got youth players in on loan. Moore and McCoulsky are both 21, nearly 22. They’ve both got over a season’s worth of men’s first team football under their belts from their loan spells.

Just to add to davewebbsbrain's comment that there is a massive step up from youth football to League One. Theo Robinson played in the under 23s match against Mk Dons last season and scored 4 goals, and I don't think anyone would describe him as a player that can score for fun. Being able to score in youth matches only indicates there might be something there, it does not mean they'll be able to score in professional fixtures on a consistent basis.

Theo Robinson played in the under 23s match against Mk Dons last season and scored 4 goals

I suppose that does illustrate the difference: when he played in the league match against MK Dons last season he only scored the 3 goals.

We haven’t got youth players in on loan. Moore and McCoulsky are both 21, nearly 22. They’ve both got over a season’s worth of men’s first team football under their belts from their loan spells.

By youth I meant they had not appeared for their parent club at 1st Team level so only have youth experience there.

Hope that clarifies it a little better.

I was also thinking more the likes of Harrison, Amos, King and so on as well as McCoulsky

By youth I meant they had not appeared for their parent club at 1st Team level so only have youth experience there.

Hope that clarifies it a little better.

I was also thinking more the likes of Harrison, Amos, King and so on as well as McCoulsky

Taylor Moore has played 5 times for Bristol City first team, McClousky hasn't played any

Back